R/E/P > The Acid Test

ALL!!! small bodied Martin acoustic guitars 0-15 0-17 00-17

<< < (2/7) > >>

JGauthier:
Bob Olhsson wrote on Tue, 09 June 2009 10:44
My wife's '64 0018 is amazing.

And I know you're familiar with amazing for sure!!! So its good to hear from you on this.

I wanted to cover 4 things in my studio instrumentally (since they are what I play)-
Piano
Synth
Electric guitar
Acoustic Guitar

I have found my holy grails-

Piano- ( I dont have one but my Mentors C7 would be my pick )
Synth- 1970s Minimoog (mono but perfect. Best is paired with 2 linked JD990s)
Electric- 98 strat and 50s tweed Princetons
Acoustic- the 55 Martin

Its VERY different making records with these than what I used prior- which wasn't bad by any means. Now I worry less about tone and more about performance. And I still have a bunch of synths and guitars- But for me, and of course its a personal preference, these are the magic beans...

And the Martin has more "magic" than the others for me since the age and wood work seem more pertinent to the tone than its innate design.

Bob Olhsson:
Steinways vary a lot but NOTHING is as good as a good New York Steinway B. The bottom note works and the top note works.

A great Les Paul is unmatched as is a great Fender Telecaster

I like a Deluxe or a tan Bassman feeding a Hi-watt cabinet.

I'm bored with synths. Roland made a great little modular I liked better than a mini-Moog at the time but I was recording session musicians and never a player. At least it said Roland on it.

Haolemon:
After years of playing a great D28, I got interested in the smaller model Martins, and now my favorite is a 00-21GE (as in golden era).  It is basically the size of a classical guitar, with 12 frets free of the body.  It sounds great and is very well balanced.

I prefer rosewood on a smaller body guitar, as it has better bass response than mahogany.  Horses for courses!  

rick-slo:
"1955 Martin 00-17 all Mahogany/Rosewood fret board"

That could be my old guitar. I bought this model used somewhere around 1966. I don't remember it that glowingly but it was not a fifty plus year old guitar at that time. There are a zillion great guitars being made today but congrats on your find of an oldy you really like.

JGauthier:
Bob Olhsson wrote on Tue, 09 June 2009 14:42
Steinways vary a lot but NOTHING is as good as a good New York Steinway B. The bottom note works and the top note works.

A great Les Paul is unmatched as is a great Fender Telecaster

I like a Deluxe or a tan Bassman feeding a Hi-watt cabinet.

I'm bored with synths. Roland made a great little modular I liked better than a mini-Moog at the time but I was recording session musicians and never a player. At least it said Roland on it.

I agree on the deluxe! I run the princetons in stereo so I can get some space but the Princeton is just a wanna be low volume deluxe for sure!

The Roland 100 series modular I assume? AWESOME SYNTHS!

Thanks rick-slo, I do like it as you can tell! All the top with almost none of the bottom. I understand MOST people like bottom, but I just cant stand it! Thats why I don't like the 99% of the great guitars being made today.

And Haolemon, I would hope you like a guitar you paid 6+ grand for! It would be interesting to hear it now, and extremely interesting to hear it 50 years from now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version