R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: June is Stop Smoking Whatever Works Month  (Read 77032 times)

Ryan Slowey

Re: June 1, Stop Smoking Whatever Works Day
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 11:20:28 AM »

I'm still young (26), so I think now would be the time for me to quit.

I've sort of fooled myself into not worrying about it too much, because I'm what you'd probably call a "light smoker". I've never had a pack-a-day habit (1/2 at in my peak smoking days), and now I have 2, maybe 3 per day... certain days I go a little crazy with them and have a bunch, but the average is low. Sometimes I go days without one, then will light one up when I'm having a pint or something.

Still though... I feel like am at that point of "why bother?". and everytime I smoke one, I hear that voice in my head that says "i'm not even really enjoying this" (unless it's with beer, for some reason that combo. is outstanding).

I really wish my girlfriend would quit. She has the most beautiful and amazing voice, and the while the smoking hasn't effected it much yet, I know it will eventually. She's a much heavier smoker than I am.

I've quit a few times in the past few years. If any of you are looking for a tip... I find that chewing sun flower seeds is a pretty good "diversion". Helps with the oral fixation thing.

For those of you that did quit, maybe share some things that helped you get through it. Whenever my GF tries, she gets horrible mood swings, gets short-tempered and restless. It can be tough to deal with sometimes.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Gio

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »

Ryan Slowey wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 11:20

Whenever my GF tries, she gets horrible mood swings, gets short-tempered and restless. It can be tough to deal with sometimes.

That's me when I tried. Not pretty. Reminds me of that movie:
"Picked the wrong day to quit Valium...."  Very Happy
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

arconaut

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »

These might be a good cig replacement as well, so long as you don't mind the look of having a toothpick in your mouth:

http://www.teatreeplace.com/tooth_picks.html

PS:many health food stores have them, as does "Whole Foods", etc.
You Are Number Six

rankus

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »

I quit 20 years ago after 3 failed attempts, so here are some thoughts that helped me through:

Firstly, and most importantly, do not set out to "quit".  That has a finality to it and is a huge and formidable task to take on... Instead simply choose not to smoke right now... Just don't have the cigarette you would at that time and move on...

Secondly, look at that smoke in your hand and say to yourself "if I can't control this one tiny aspect of my life then I have no control at all".

Thirdly, Say to yourself "there is mindless corporation that is billing me to commit suicide. And they simply don't care one bit if I live or die... do I really want to give them my money?"

Good luck to all... it is hard but you will take back your life in so many more ways than just this one thing... It gave me the emotional strength to overcome many many other hurdles!

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

John Ivan

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »

Well, I've had Two today.. Not bad, but I still smoke.. I'm serious about continuing this effort though.

I can tell you this, I went a long time without one today and the first hit I took actually hurt! I've been saying-- "I want a smoke. Well no, just wait a while and the urge will go away"-- It does go away for a while.. I suppose that the urges will be spaced further apart the longer I wait, over time.

I know people who have cut back so far that they finally said "screw it, this is just a pain in the ass now" and they quit..

I'm going to try..

Ivan................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

rankus

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »

John Ivan wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 13:36

I suppose that the urges will be spaced further apart the longer I wait, over time.
Ivan................................

This IS the key.

Every day gets a little easier, and if you backslide all that suffering was for naught.

Also when that urge hits you... do something different:  Stand up, walk to another room, have a glass of water... anything to change the situation no matter how small.. you'll be surprised how a tiny change in your surroundings will push that reset button.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

kats

Re: June is Stop Smoking Whatever Works Month
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:02 PM »

"Whatever works" for me is Nicorette gum. I like it. I usually ween off after about a week or two. But here's my experience as a very experienced quitter.

NEVER think your over it and three months later "just have one". You'll be screwed.

Anyhow, so far today 4 gums. Feeling good.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

compasspnt

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »

Good work Tony and John, and everybody else committed and going for it.

Be Strong, as you are.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »

I quit smoking about the same time I heard about some new bigtime tube microhone was going to be coming out this year because I wanted my voice to last long enough to be able to track at least once through it. I had noticed cigarettes were begining to change my voice and lung capacity and not in a good way. I had been smoking only 9 years, and quit mainly by not buying cigarettes anymore after I decided I hated them. Also I had a head cold at the time which was made worse, more coughing and hacking, and gagging by smoking.

I then thought: Aren't cigarettes the greatest, NOT! Man, this friggin sucks!

I haven't smoked at all since. I realized cigarettes make me sick. Thats how I quit. A very easy decision for me...an easy choice...hacking, coughing, wheezing, lost voice, early grave, or freedom to breathe deeply and not cough, freedom to sing, and a chance to live a longer healthier life...I pick the later part.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Berolzheimer

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »

Chris Ilett wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 03:33

OK I'll quit, but you guys have to do something for me in return  Razz

Just name it.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 07:17:38 PM »

Well I made it through a full day at the studio and dinner, and haven't killed anyone yet.; )

...after quitting for 3 years I started smoking again when my youngest son went in for an operation about 8 months ago...

John Ivan

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 08:00:30 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 19:17

Well I made it through a full day at the studio and dinner, and haven't killed anyone yet.; )

...after quitting for 3 years I started smoking again when my youngest son went in for an operation about 8 months ago...

Good job Tom! You're doing better than me, but today is the least I've smoked in a very very long time.. Getting up and walking around or grabbing the Guitar, or sitting at the piano {well, 88 keys anyhow} is helping the short term cravings.

I just went to a friends Bar to grab a sandwich and it was a challenge but it went well. If I can keep it at a few per day for a few days, maybe I can toss them..

I am committed to the effort emotionally, so I might be on the right track.

Good luck everyone..

Seriously, if anyone wants to talk, vent or cry about it, feel free to call!

812-209-9561..

This shit really can kill us and we are all smarter than this.

Ivan.................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »

If you're  down to a few a day, pick a quit day in advance, just commit to it. It's not going to be easy but it will be worth for the the long haul.

Cheers to the ones that gave it a shot today and let's do it again tomorrow.

Over $200 a month on smokes.  There's better way's to spend that money, right?

Wireline

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »

Quit cold turkey New Years 3 yrs back...aside from health, my biggest motivation was financial...I've saved enough money from not smoking to afford some things in life I would otherwise have done without....that, and the thought of the majority of what I was paying for my 2.5 pack a day habit was tax.

Yeah...I put on a lot of weight, but I can always diet.  Wife still smokes, but has cut down to < 1/2 pack a day...cravings still there sometimes.

Quitting smoking is a challenge, and I may have to do it again someday.  My dad (almost 91 now) quit back in the 1970s, and still has the urge to light up...its something that really never goes away, but it is something you can beat.  Keep the faith, and you will be successful in your venture.
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

kats

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »

My motivation is having  4 and 2 year old daughters. At 44 years old, I was really feeling like a jerk over the smoking - pretty selfish (in an odd way). Luckily smoking is banned in public places where I live and I obviously wouldn't smoke at home so I never had more than 10 a day.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.