R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: June is Stop Smoking Whatever Works Month  (Read 77037 times)

Strummer

Re: June 1, Stop Smoking Whatever Works Day
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »

As I would too. Thanks for the push Terry.

It's been a long time coming, but a change is gonna come.

John Ivan

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:40 PM »

Ya know, I've been talking about this a lot over this last year.. It's starting to bother me more and more. I keep clinging to this idea that it has a calming effect when things spin out of control... The truth is though, that life is going to happen whether I'm smoking or not. Blasting nasty hot poisonous gas into my blood is NOT going to make any of these 'life problems' better.. I feel better now, about most everything,  than I have in a couple years.. Smoking DID NOT make me feel better... I smoked the whole time but this has nothing to do with why I feel better.

Another thing, is that I keep saying how much I like it!! Damn it.. I DO.. I like the smell {yeah, I know. Go figure.}, I like the 'activity', the 'ritual'.  But the truth is, I can DECIDE not to like it any time I want.. I can move to liking Carrot sticks even better..

There's some fear.. I can't seem to picture myself without it.. I should try.. I really am one of those people who can just stop things like this.. This is the only one I have left.

IT'S VERY VERY BAD FOR ME!!! I'll be 45 soon and I'm feelin' it.

Ivan..................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Strummer

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 11:35:46 PM »

Edit: Never mind

Todd Loomis

• Real Full Name: Todd Loomis
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 11:44:09 PM »

Quitting smoking was one of the toughest things I've done in my life...  but probably one of the best.  I remember coughing all of the time, and smelling all of the time...  and feeling overall just "unhealthy"...  sure, I'm not perfect with my body now either, but I feel SO much better overall without that stuff in my veins...  any day is the perfect day to quit, but this thread is a great opportunity for someone with the desire.  Good post Terry!

Chris Ilett

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 06:33:08 AM »

OK I'll quit, but you guys have to do something for me in return  Razz

sui-city

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »

The one piece of advice that i can give from my own experience is:

To make quitting important.

I quit once for 4.5 years. then fired up again for 4.

Now it's been just shy of 3 years since I quit again. Each time was cold-turkey and what really helped was realising that quitting was important to me. The cravings are difficult, but the resolve was stronger. And i believe it was because i made not only the action of quitting, but the resolve to quit, conscious.

Good luck guys, it'll be worth it.

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »

Don't give in.

A little support.  If you said it, you have to at least give it a valiant effort.

Didn't miss that first one in the morning so much. Doin good.

Headin to the studio in an hour.. that's always a trigger,  F it

Do not give in...

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 10:04:48 AM »

I must say I am humbled by the amazing PM's and phone calls that have come from this little post.

This is now a full on Campaign.

All of you out there keep it up, we are all here to support each other.

We are too important to our families and to each other to kill ourselves.

tom eaton

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 10:12:32 AM »

Terry, you continually take us a step past the job.  Thanks for that.  I think the threads about friends, kids, health, etc. are among the best things this forum has to offer.

I tried explaining to my four year old about equipment warm up time and could only get so far as discussing toasters.  And then laughing.

My best to all of you who are putting down the habit... to your health.  

Happy June, everyone.

tom

TRA

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:39 AM »

August 4th, 2009 will be two years smoke free. I quit for a few reasons, but mainly because of chronic sinusitis. I was going to the doctor at least once a month, and now I haven't been to the doctor in just over a year. My stomach issues went away, and my allergies are less severe.

Quitting is difficult, but luckily I'm a stubborn ass that doesn't back down once I make up my mind. That fault has proven to be not so much of a fault.

For how difficult quitting smoking is it was one of the easiest habits to break. I'm having a bitch of a time not biting my finger nails, and I can't stop drinking Coca Cola to save my life. I will say that starting to diet and exercise is MUCH more difficult for me.

EDIT:

My one piece of advise is to NOT give up your goal of quitting if you screw up and smoke a cigarette. You haven't failed....you just didn't succeed yet. Too many smokers give up on the idea of quitting because they fall off of the wagon. Just suck it up and keep going.

compasspnt

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 10:23:43 AM »

Who is The Master of your destiny?

phantom309

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »

That old adage: "once and addict, always and addict" is true for me and cigarettes. In 1984, I was starting to sing a lot more professionally and I simply ran out of throat too soon because of my smoking habit. I tried to quit a few times, and I finally did it once and for all and have been without them for 20+ years. I had asthma as a child and our family has a lot of emphysema victims. I wouldn't be here today if I had not quit.

Observing the habit from the "outside in" now is sad. I understand how hard it is and I STILL miss them after a good meal...but it's just an insidious, horrible health risk.

Then there's the cost: a single pack of 20 here is 13.00.

Good luck with it, it's the best gift you could give yourself and your family.

Now, the COFFEE thing...
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

Gio

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »

I'm on the fence right now. Been thinking about it for months. Having been a smoker for damn near 30 yrs., it would be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

So many Pavlov's dog moments. Breakfast? Not food, coffee and a smoke or three. Phone rings? Go outside and...... you guessed it. Few drinks, light em up. At least it's been a policy for the last 6 years do it outside, so my kids are not exposed to it indoors.

I tried a few times, obviously unsucessfully. Maybe reading some of these posts will push me a bit.

We'll see.    Sad
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

phantom309

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

Gio wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 08:52

I'm on the fence right now. Been thinking about it for months. Having been a smoker for damn near 30 yrs., it would be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

So many Pavlov's dog moments. Breakfast? Not food, coffee and a smoke or three. Phone rings? Go outside and...... you guessed it. Few drinks, light em up. At least it's been a policy for the last 6 years do it outside, so my kids are not exposed to it indoors.

I tried a few times, obviously unsucessfully. Maybe reading some of these posts will push me a bit.

We'll see.    Sad

For me, TWO WEEKS was the major milepost. At that point I could compare and contrast how I felt, I could objectify the habitual aspects of it more clearly, I could see and feel a reason to keep going that was at least as palpable as the craving.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

ktownson

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »

Having never been a smoker, all I can add is encouragement to quit. Even if you're a considerate smoker, you'll never know how much your smoke intrudes into others' lives until you can smell again.

I have seen too many relatives and acquaintances die ugly, painful deaths that were smoking-related. As my uncle confessed on his deathbed, slowly suffocating from tarred lungs and throat cancer, a machine assisting his breathing, "If I could, I'd smoke a cigarette right now." Even when you're dying from it, the cravings are still there.

Beat this addiction now, while you have strength.

"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 16 queries.