R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: affordable Mic preamp  (Read 3212 times)

kmaker

affordable Mic preamp
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:55:47 am »

hi, recently i help my friend to record his song. i love his music and he got a very good vocal.

but there is a problem, i don't really like the sound recorded by my mbox 2 mini. we a using AKG C4000B, i don't know that is the problem of the mic or the mic preamp in my mbox.

we don't have the budget to buy a new mic or make a home studio (we record in a small room...), just want to know if a good, affordable portable, mic preamp can help.

i really hope someone can help me, we a not making a CD, just a demo but i still want to make it better.

Thx!

Bill_Urick

Re: affordable Mic preamp
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:05:35 am »

Not really familiar with that mic.
Not knowing in what way the vocals are sounding bad...

I would first make sure you're not recording a lot of early reflections-deaden the space with blankets. Make it sound really dead.

If that doesn't do it, get a Shure SM58 (mic) and see if that makes a difference.

Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

kmaker

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:50:35 pm »

ya...i don't know why my friend buy this mic...

i don't know how to said "how bad" is was, the reflection is a problem , i will try to do something on it.
but i think the most important things is the "feel" (Warm?), the mbox really a big difference from the sound i recorded using Red 1 (with difference mic)...

i don;t know that is the problem of the room, the mic or the mic preamp...

Thx

Hank Alrich

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:20:29 pm »

kmaker wrote on Sun, 31 May 2009 10:50

ya...i don't know why my friend buy this mic...

i don't know how to said "how bad" is was, the reflection is a problem , i will try to do something on it.
but i think the most important things is the "feel" (Warm?), the mbox really a big difference from the sound i recorded using Red 1 (with difference mic)...

i don;t know that is the problem of the room, the mic or the mic preamp...

Thx

While there's no substitute for a good room, getting a decent mic pre into the chain does help determine where lie problems with rooms and mics that then can be addressed.

The FMR RNP is a bargain and the only inexpensive preamp I've enjoyed.

Ashermusic

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:49:36 am »

I quite like the Rane MS 1b, no frills, no mojo, but nice and clean.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

wwittman

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:46:51 pm »

define "affordable"
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

MI

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:02:19 pm »

kmaker wrote on Sun, 31 May 2009 01:55

hi, recently i help my friend to record his song. i love his music and he got a very good vocal.

but there is a problem, i don't really like the sound recorded by my mbox 2 mini. we a using AKG C4000B, i don't know that is the problem of the mic or the mic preamp in my mbox.

we don't have the budget to buy a new mic or make a home studio (we record in a small room...), just want to know if a good, affordable portable, mic preamp can help.

i really hope someone can help me, we a not making a CD, just a demo but i still want to make it better.

Thx!

Honestly for what you are doing there's no reason the Mbox shouldn't be fine.

-This may sound real silly, and please forgive me, but you are using the mic correct? It's not a hand held mic. It should be standing vertically not horizontally.
Also remember there is a side you sing into, it's usually the one with the AKG logo.

-How close is your friend singing from the mic?
Don't be too close, try 8-18 inches.

-How is your input gain set? with M-Box you should have the gain set so that the level reads -10 to -6 MAX during the loudest passage of the song and average around -18 to -12.
You should not see the level going into red at any time.

Try that and let us know.

MI
Pages: [1]   Go Up