R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe guitar amplifier  (Read 24640 times)

Fibes

Re: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe guitar amplifier
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »

While agreeing that the old ones were dogs, i give the benefit of the doubt about the new ones until I hear one.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Tue, 02 June 2009 13:41

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 31 May 2009 23:41

I had somebody bring in the 60 watt version for a record.  What an absolute piece of shit that thing was.  Unusable.  Tubes were microphonic, the tone sucked ass.  Really awful.

Did you change the tubes and try again?

Did the guitar player still suck with another amplifier?

I was not going to give this guy any of my tubes.  I was able to determine which tube was ringing, though.  I hated the sound of the amp, anyway, so it was  a great excuse to get him to plug into my Selmer, so I had a usable sound.

I just couldn't believe the thing was a couple months old, and the tubes were already ringing.  Nice testing!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jetbase

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 03:00

Thanks for your input,JGauthier, however, my review is about the new model. so if you have any comments on the new 2009 Hot Rod Deluxe amplifier, this will be most welcome. I hope you understand.

I'll have to check if my friend's amp (which I mentioned in my earlier post) is the same model, as I didn't actually eyeball it from where I was. It would make sense though, since I have previously not liked the sound of Hotrod Deluxes but I happened to like what I heard the other week. Do you know what's different inside? Nice if someone's finally moving forward.

sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

JGauthier

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Wed, 03 June 2009 10:00

Thanks for your input,JGauthier, however, my review is about the new model.

Nick- thats why twice in my post I say that the amp your original post referred to (new 2009) should remain separate from our hatred of the Blues Deluxe. But Fender has earned its reputation here.

I dont think anybodys trying to give you a hard time personally, you just referenced an amp most have a very strong negative opinion about! If the 2009 model is different then we should wait and see before judging (as I said in my prior post) but this thread is DEFINITELY open to experience with ALL models because thats how we got to this new 2009.

If everything you have made under the same exact name is poop, then its hard to expect ANYONE to instantly forget the past 12 years of crap production.

So again, I agree if you are referring to the 2009 that its up for debate, but be realistic if you hold up what was always considered a terd and claim its polished and shiney now! AND doesn't smell!

Again, I will personally make the trip to GC and I will return with my opinion. BTW other than my Princetons (mini deluxes)I played a real tweed deluxe this past week. So I will give 2 reviews-

1. How does the new one compare to the original 50s (this part will probably go poorly in my experience)
2. How does it compare to the prior Blues Deluxe from 96 on (this is the part thats truly up for debate)

(Note- and NOT to Nick specifically- just for this thread overall):
And try not to hate on vintage amps- in the studio they are king. They can be fussy but the tone kills current production and they sound incredible if you get the right ones/models/condition. I have yet to play a combo that makes me smile like a 50s/60s Fender or a 60s vox. If you have never played them in perfect maintained condition, go find some and do. You really really dont know what you are missing and you just sound really ignorant. Vintage amps is NOT part of the Vintage craze of recording- it started long before...

BUT this amp is WAYYYYYYYYY cheaper $$$/volume than the vintages so relativity.

JGauthier

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »

[quote title=jstuart wrote on Wed, 03 June 2009 09:23]
If anyone tries to claim this amp (prior to the new release) holds up, then they dont have any REAL EXPERIENCE to stand on.

This site is about relativity people. If you have never played a REAL deluxe, dont defend these POS.

As for the 2009. Im looking forward to playing one if they dont suck anymore! But comments that they are fine becuase youve used one for years means you cant afford a nicer amp... And dont know what you are missing.[/quote

Hmmn, it seems to me that your tone is shrill and distorted.

I might suggest that you afford yourself some real experience with polite discourse, rather than popping the clutch on your mouth before engaging your brain. It might also be helpful if you ascertained some facts before imputing that any opinion other than your own is not worthy of the air it wiggles.

ie: Affording a different amp? Yep, if I need something I buy it. Having played a REAL deluxe? Yep, again, I owned a '65 in the 70's- though that may not be as REAL as a '56....REAL EXPERIENCE? Well, I'm guessing that I will come up short comparing my 35+ years making a living in music/recording to your peregrine view from the lofty pinnacles, so I concede that, and will humbly await the droppings of wisdom from your noble brow.

Know what I'm Missing? Yep, I know I put those keys around here somewhere....

j

You are more than welcome to attempt to sound like you know. Its the internet. But-

I HATED that amp. I owned one for 11 years. I toured with it in the 90s until it made me want to scratch my eyes out. Then as soon as I got some money and bought a new amp for live. It then sat in a closet.

You may get offended and try to over compensate with diction but you are wrong and foolish to try. Pseudo intellectual ramblings and chastizing will be ignored by those who are posting and not only haven't played the real amp in 30 years, but dont own the new one either... If you get any experience to reference, THEN try posting.

Im glad you once owned an amp in the 70s. Its 2008 and that was 38 years ago my friend.

marcel

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »

Fender's site makes no mention of any changes to this model, although it may not be current:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0213202000

Nick, what makes you think this amp is different from previous years' offerings, other than the color?  The description and photos above seem to point to exactly the same amp I have used in past...
Best, Marcel

JGauthier

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 02:06:04 PM »

And to keep things on track. I assume we are all in agreement that this amp is purpose specific.

Im not trying to claim a 50s deluxe beats ANYTHING for say death metal.

Im a firm believer if they use a specific name to sell an amp (ie deluxe) it should hold up to what its supposedly ripping off.

And I would also argue there is a HUGE potential for variance and maybe Nick was lucky enough to get one that was assebled at the top of its game. OR they have improved core part quality. Or they fired that drunk guy who worked on line 3... Who knows.

Even if I hate the ones (plural if possible) I play at GC, it doesn't mean Nicks sounds bad. BUT it DOES mean Fender still sucks in regards to quality control on lower cost products.

So a consistent improvement is what Im looking for. And again, nobody is saying you dont have an amp you think sounds great Nick. Its just prior experience of 12 years of less tha stellar production makes it a hard pill to swallow.

BTW- I love this thread. I had a long relationship with one of the first releases and have always had a LOT to say about that! Plus this is an amp that I surmise Fender paid a lot of people to LIE about in ads and reviews- look it up. Apparently anyone with a magazine or officious position had a wonderful satisfying experience with their new affordable vintage toned, why pay 3 grand when you can pay 500, just like the original, vintage Fender as you always hoped Blues Deluxe amp... riiiiiiiiiiiight!

Sadly today Im off to a small shop to test drive a 55 Martin 00-17- so no prison shower...errr... I mean GC today. Real good chance shes coming home too!

David Barton

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »

I have played the blue version talked about here. It is marginally better. I didn't have a chance to crank it because I was in a music store. I played a Road Worn Tele through it and to be honest, I suspect that may be where the improved tone was coming from. The clean channel was still stabby in it's responsiveness, and the dirty channel(s) were still over-compressed and unresponsive. The improvement was in the overall voicing. Maybe a new speaker? It seemed a little more transparent. It still sounded like a constipated old broken amp.

A friend of mine put a Vintage 30 reissue in his Deluxe and that helped, but those reissues have their own problems. I advise friends to put a Warehouse Veteran 30 in their Deluxes (and anything else!).

~db

p.s. to make my friend's amp playable, I built a little booster pedal that has a touch of compression and light harmonic generation. I play only through the clean channel. A ZVex Super Hard-On would do the same thing.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »

marcel wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 10:19

Fender's site makes no mention of any changes to this model, although it may not be current:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0213202000

Nick, what makes you think this amp is different from previous years' offerings, other than the color?  The description and photos above seem to point to exactly the same amp I have used in past...

That is the one I bought. Although mine has the blue tolex. No, the tolex is not why it sounds better... Smile

I do not know what is different from past ones. I'll have to look at the schematics, and see if there are any revisions unknown to the public (this sometimes happens)

I will make a webpage on my site this weekend, with pictures, sound samples, etc... and see if anyone here has any ideas.

I might have gotten a "reverse lemon", or gotten lucky, or???

All I know is that this one sounds good to me, and none of the previous ones ever did that.

BTW I'm not selling it... Wink
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »

jetbase wrote on Wed, 03 June 2009 17:26

Nick Sevilla wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 03:00

Thanks for your input,JGauthier, however, my review is about the new model. so if you have any comments on the new 2009 Hot Rod Deluxe amplifier, this will be most welcome. I hope you understand.

I'll have to check if my friend's amp (which I mentioned in my earlier post) is the same model, as I didn't actually eyeball it from where I was. It would make sense though, since I have previously not liked the sound of Hotrod Deluxes but I happened to like what I heard the other week. Do you know what's different inside? Nice if someone's finally moving forward.

I know the speaker is a different model than previous ones, as there was a black Deluxe in the store as well, and I did look inside. I'll have to check what it is when I get home.

Cheers

The Speaker is a Celestion Vintage 30, 12".

I am in the process of recording some samples of my bad playing. Since I'm doing it, I'm going to go ahead and record thru all my mics, one at a time, placed in the same exact position, and at the same levels, through the same chanel, no processing.

At least I'll know what mic I like for what sound with that amp, after that excruciating exercise.

Cheers
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

jstuart

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »

[/quote

You are more than welcome to attempt to sound like you know. Its the internet. But-

I HATED that amp. I owned one for 11 years. I toured with it in the 90s until it made me want to scratch my eyes out. Then as soon as I got some money and bought a new amp for live. It then sat in a closet.

You may get offended and try to over compensate with diction but you are wrong and foolish to try. Pseudo intellectual ramblings and chastizing will be ignored by those who are posting and not only haven't played the real amp in 30 years, but dont own the new one either... If you get any experience to reference, THEN try posting.

Im glad you once owned an amp in the 70s. Its 2008 and that was 38 years ago my friend.
(

MY Friend,

You know what I'm trying to understand?  Why someone would take a fairly bland post about an amp that worked for one player; ME..., and turn it into a personal attack....

I get it that you can't stand using this amp, ( after 11 years of playing one?????, geezus, bub, get something that floats yer boat... just sayin'...),That's OK with me;. I can't use most Marshall amps... so the best I could chime in on in a discussion about Marshall amps is ;" I can't make them work for my style..., but, have a nice day..."

So, I get a response that says in effect: " you can't afford a good amp, you have NO experience with REAL amps,  you are an idiot if you like this amp... and you have no experience in general...and nobody else likes these amps.... "

For all I know you are some kid jacking off in yer mom's basement, but, in general, I assume that if I am straight ahead, then  the person on the other end of the net is straight ahead as well, and that they read the post as written...

But, like a moron, I take the bait and respond with a quick F.U., trying to walk a line of " sorry. bub, but I do have the experience, yada, yada, " , without attacking your experience, because I have no idea what experience you have , or don't have. But since I am offended by your unprovoked personal attack, I do the smartass bit ( which I should know better than to do, but then again, I'm a bit PO'd...) expecting in return " I hate these amps , but hey, didn't mean to piss on you,  good luck with the POS".

But , again you come back with the " I REALLY KNOW MY SHIT, AND YOU'RE A KNOW-NOTHING, THE 70'S WERE A LONG TIME AGO,   SO SHUT UP!!!!!

So, Let me see if I understand.

If You are a moderator, your opinion is the only one worth considering, and if someone else has a different experience, it is not only OK to disagree with them, but it is even better to disparage them personally, even if you have NO knowledge of their professional experience...

OK, as long as I know the rules....

j

ps: Oh by the way, I hope you noticed that I didn't use any 10 cent words. god knows I wouldn't want to be pseudo-intellectual...., plus I lightend up on the whole "diction" thing, just for you.
Wiggling air molecules for a multitude of reasons, and in a variety of ways, for well over 30 years.

compasspnt

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »

Is this it?

index.php/fa/12533/0/

Chad Sims

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »

Where is this amp made?

I ask because Fender Mexican made basses vary wildly in quality.  I wonder if this is the same sort of deal.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 05:49:30 AM »

Yes, that's the blue model I own.

I'm going to post samples soon recorded thru commonly used mics.
Right now, though I am in the delivery room for our second baby boy. As I type this, mommy is getting an epidural procedure done...

Cheers

www.nicksevilla.com

jetbase

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Wed, 10 June 2009 19:49

Yes, that's the blue model I own.

I'm going to post samples soon recorded thru commonly used mics.
Right now, though I am in the delivery room for our second baby boy. As I type this, mommy is getting an epidural procedure done...

Cheers

Congratulations! Hope all goes well.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.