R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SE mics  (Read 4637 times)

judah

SE mics
« on: July 09, 2004, 08:05:25 AM »

Hi all,
I've been out of the audio field for a while and I saw these mics this morning:

www.seemics.com

Anyone know something about'em?

Thanks.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

j.hall

Re: SE mics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 09:49:15 AM »

who makes these things?

what is the price point?

their marketing is hilarious......not in a good way

"two is better then one.  if one tube is good, then two tubes are better."  

hahahahaha

gimme a break

judah

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 10:03:39 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 09 July 2004 15:49

who makes these things?

what is the price point?

hahahahaha

gimme a break

yeah, their marketing is not that good but the mics looks nice especially the KM84 clone. the price is very reasonable. I've heard the name before but my mind is too fucked up to remember when and why. I'm sure someone was talkin' about'em here around last year or something like that.....or....I don't know. Anyway.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL

Dolly Parton

Tomas Danko

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 11:02:52 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 09 July 2004 14:49

who makes these things?

what is the price point?

hahahahaha

gimme a break

Actually, the guy behind the SE brand is unique over there in the way that he's got a solid musical background recording classic and acoustic stuff for a long time. He also has a burning passion for sound and microphones. I'd say that differ him from the rest of the 797/Soundking business.

Not sure about them dual tubes, however. Statistically he could screw things up double...

Cheers,

Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 11:05:56 AM »

are they chinese made mics?

exactly my point on the double tube thing

could EASILY be double trouble.

Zoesch

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 09:32:16 AM »

I actually have a couple of their mics that landed my way for review and I decided to keep (SE2000 and Z3500)... they are alright, in some situations they could be a steal (Z3500 FOK like you would put a U47, close sound, a tad harsher top but cuts well through the mix)

Its funny, the guy started like 797/Soundking and realized how much of a dead end that was so he started investing money on R&D...

The dual tube mic is funny, technically and marketing-wise, but until I hear it I won't comment on it.
It has always been Ringo's fault

judah

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 03:12:34 AM »

Zoesch wrote on Sat, 10 July 2004 15:32

I actually have a couple of their mics that landed my way for review and I decided to keep (SE2000 and Z3500)... they are alright, in some situations they could be a steal (Z3500 FOK like you would put a U47, close sound, a tad harsher top but cuts well through the mix)

Its funny, the guy started like 797/Soundking and realized how much of a dead end that was so he started investing money on R&D...

The dual tube mic is funny, technically and marketing-wise, but until I hear it I won't comment on it.

thanks a million for your input. I'm sure I heard the name before but I can't remember where and when. Any other application you tried? I use an AT4047 as a FOK mic. Sounds got to me. Most of teh time I use the 4047 for bass cabinet too. I was looking for something similar.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL

Dolly Parton

Zoesch

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 03:38:22 AM »

Haven't tried much with them as I have other mics for other functions, the SE2000 is there for the odd vocalist that needs a more toppy mic or for hihats.

Thomas Lester

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 06:30:03 PM »

I heard them at a demo a few years ago and they sounded very nice.  Especially for their low price point.

-Tom

judah

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 02:52:55 AM »

Thomas Lester wrote on Thu, 22 July 2004 00:30

I heard them at a demo a few years ago and they sounded very nice.  Especially for their low price point.

-Tom

hey, thanks for your input. I think I'm gonna try out a couple of the cheap ones.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL

Dolly Parton

TotalSonic

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 03:23:46 AM »

I have an SE3500 which is a no frills cardioid that I got a couple years ago when Bayview Pro Audio was giving them out as freebies along with larger purchases (Bayview now gives away their own rebranded Chinese mics under the name of "Cascade" - I have one of these also and it's very similar sounding to the SE stuff making me think their the same innards with different cosmetics).  I initially thought I'd end up never using the SE - but surprisingly I've found it to be an ok mic.  Nothing spectacular but certainly functional - I actually like it on a lot of baritone male vox / spoken word actually in preference to my AT4047 for things where I'm looking for a little bit more presence.  Nice thing with the SE in comparison to other Chinese cheapies is that the mids aren't as scooped out and the proximity and presence peak aren't as exagerrated as some.  It's not really a quiet mic - but it's not really noisy either.  I usually use it with a Grace pre which helps a lot - it doesn't really match well with the Bellari or Tascam junk I also have.

It's a hefty feeling mic & came with a nice case but the fittings on it aren't that well done - there's already a screw loose on the mic stand mount it came with.  I believe the SE3500 got discontinued and was replaced by the SE3600 which apparently specs out a little better.  

I've seen a number of studio owners that I know post flattering things regarding the SE tube mics but I've never heard these.  FWIW it seems that of all the Chinese cheapies that the Studio Projects and the SE stuff gets the most favorable reviews.  There certainly not much cash to get one so you don;t have much to loose by trying one out.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Zoesch

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 08:06:18 AM »

Thomas Lester wrote on Thu, 22 July 2004 08:30

-Tom

Yeah, indeed they are, despite the price point (Which is the same thing I said about the AT4050 when I first heard it) and the shady reputation of chinese mic manufacturers.

I personally find them, AT and Rode to be the few cheap/decent priced mics I'd be willing to use in serious projects (Depends on the model of course).

Funny innit?

BTW I think the price point thing is a thing of the past, they are now making not so cheap yet not so expensive mics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.