R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed"  (Read 81496 times)

Kris

I was tempted to write that for you, as I knew that's how you'd feel... still imo it was a classy move.  Sorry! Very Happy

i dig music

R. Steele

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

A quick look at the graphs give some indication to the chaos over there.

index.php/fa/12566/0/
Philip

i dig music

Fiasco wrote on Fri, 12 June 2009 06:05

A quick look at the graphs give some indication to the chaos over there.

Chaos?

You've got to be kidding.

Right??????

Have a look at GS's traffic rank: 12,211 this month.

PSW's: 108,489

To put that in some perspective.........

beyonceonline.com: 37,009

A popular independent music site.....amiestreet.com: 30,890

If you understand how internet advertising works...CPM/CPC etc.....

Bottom line is........

GS makes Jules bucket load's of cash with that rank.

Call the people at GS what you want, but let's applaud Jules success and longevity.

Also, I'd like to add again that Jules would not allow a "let's bash PSW" thread to exist on his forum.

Its weak at best.
R. Steele

J.J. Blair

Hey, I already said he's got the formula that works for him, and it seems to be successful.  There's PSW bashing over there, though.  They just haven't started a thread dedicated to it yet.

But if you look at those numbers, I'll go back to one of the old comparisons between the two, that also holds up with those numbers:  PSW = AES and GS = NAMM.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jimmyjazz

i dig music wrote on Fri, 12 June 2009 08:05

If you understand how internet advertising works...CPM/CPC etc.....

Actually, I have no idea.  How do those data translate into dollars?

I like Jules.  Had lunch with him once, but that's the extent of my "offline" interaction with the guy.  I will say that his site name is very unfortunate, and it conveys a sense of amateurism.  That's probably the main reason I've never spent much time there.

MDM,

I think it's just the old 80/20 rule.

if you want to make money with volume/hits, you have to have a standard which is going to be in line with 80% of the people.

excellence is by definition something which belongs to a small percentage... people who excel.

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

Sean Eldon Qualls

Kris wrote on Wed, 10 June 2009 15:31

I was tempted to write that for you, as I knew that's how you'd feel... still imo it was a classy move.  Sorry! Very Happy

How classy is it to bring it back? Extremely, right?

Don't fret, Dave...you're in good company. You've gotta admit though, she's a little easier on the eyes:

http://www.plushtucson.com/band_images/1318/702.jpg
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Kris

K.  You're definately not classy at all...  My bad.

Sean Eldon Qualls

Kris wrote on Fri, 12 June 2009 17:06

K.  You're definately not classy at all...  My bad.

I believe I have plenty of class...just not in this regard.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Edvaard

As long as this thread has gone so completely off topic (which is actually fine with me) and gone completely haywire, I'd like to say that I like JJ's new avatar; "Richard Petty having run off to Mexico, in his brief 'I wuz an almost liberal for a short period of time and I had to leave the country so others didn't see this side of me' period."

Quite original and inventive.

rjc

Edvaard wrote on Sat, 13 June 2009 16:16

Quite original and inventive.

Maybe. But I confess I liked the CS-1 ear extensions better.  Neutral

Edvaard

Ear extensions ...

-yawn-

If you know anything about reflexology at all, this new-fangled 5.1 stuff should be re-directed to our toes.

bigaudioblowhard

this thread is played!

bab

rollmottle

"Impressions of Gearslutz from a newbie"

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/3 95552-impressions-gearslutz-newbie.html

Quote:

I thought it would be interesting for me to give you feedback on what a typical person of average skill and intelligence has gathered from reading Gearslutz. I am a blank slate, and have literally been reading the forum 12 hours a day for the last 2 weeks.

1. Low-end gear means anything under $2000.
2. Everything made by Neumann is crap today. I mean Grade-A dog diarrhea. People only use it because of hype or because they have deals (like LA Guitar Quartet - the KM184 actually SUCKS for guitars, but they have an endorsement so they HAVE to use them...)
3. The Yamaha NS-10M is the worst speaker in the world. The sound is somewhat like putting tape over the mouths of two macaws and tasing them simultaneously (make sure they aren't flush against the wall).
4. The only monitors anyone should ever use are the ADAM A7's or maybe - JUST MAYBE - the Barefoot speakers or the Dynaudio M3's. And you really need a sub for those.
5. Avalon 737 is trash.
6. Avalon 747 is trash.
7. The Avalon M5 is OK "for bass."
8. The only mics that can be used for classical guitar are the $2500 Schoeps or some equally priced Sennheiser. Otherwise, nothing in your mic cabinet will work.
9. Teams of well-paid German, Austrian, and Russian engineers consistently miss the mark, because any piece of equipment can be modded by you for $30 in parts to make it sound "just like a Neumann XX" (vintage of course).
10. Anything with the number "500" on it is a great piece of gear.
11. Anything that says Apogee is good.
12. Anything that has a cat logo or the name of a type of cat is good.
13. The Fireface is really the only firewire interface anyone should ever consider. Everything else - EVERYTHING - belongs in the skip.
14. Why aren't you using a Mac?
15. The TLM 103 is by far the worst microphone made. It makes everything sound like Fiona Apple wrapped in carpet.
16. The TLM 49 is a close second. It makes everything sound like Barry White garggling wasps.
17. You should've gotten a Soundelux U195. God, it is so much better than any Neumann.
18. Or a Peluso 2247.
19. If it doesn't say Neve, it is crap.
20. If it doesn't say API, it is crap.
21. If it doesn't say Manley, it is crap.
22. In a "comparison post," whatever YOU own is BETTER, regardless of whether you've ever heard of it or used it, or if your gear was even listed in the OP's comparison.
23. Any piece of equipment that is available at Guitar Center or American Musical is crap, except maybe a U87, but that is junk too unless someone from GS swallows it and sh*ts it out, a technique used to simulate 40 years of delicate aging.
24. Any gear that is good must've been pulled out of a much larger object and modified to fit in a rack by the actual person that designed it.
25. Trident is now crap.
26. The jury is still out on Toft, but we're pretty sure it is crap since it is often mentioned in the same breath as Joe Meek.
27. Did I mention that Genelec makes the WORST monitors in the world? Just absolute horse-sh*t.
28. Anything touched by Joly is better than any mic ever created, including a vintage U47.
29. Anything that starts with a G is a good piece of gear (Great River, Grace, Golden Age, Gefell, Grado) EXCEPT Genelec, of course.
30. There is no gear - NONE - worse than Mackie. Mackie is worse than late 80's Nady gear. The HR824's woofers are made of goat dung and the tweeters are made from the severed wings of demon locusts, and to dare use anything with a Mackie pre will summon brutish beasts from Netherworld who will feast on the souls of your family.
31. Bring your lunchbox everywhere, because no commercial studio has anything that competes with the 512c.
32. U87's are not compatible with anything made by Universal Audio (which is all crap anyway, just unusable)
33. The Shure SM7 is awesome... BUT IT BETTER BE AN A/B/(no letter).

SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.