R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed"  (Read 80952 times)

seedyunderbelly.com

Done,  Good Idea xs.

Kris

You're a good man Seedyunderbelly, despite your seedy underbelly...

Paul LaPlaca

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 16:20

Well, no it wasn't JJP, but as you know, I got censored by Jules for the term "sonic bukkake."  LOL.  

Sonic Bukkake?

Best band name, EVER.

Razz

PP

Quote: “Jules, the wedding pictures are no longer there, because the marriage is no longer there.”

Dear J.J.

I would just like to express my heartfelt sadness, at the difficulty, strife and pain all this must have caused you.

I sincerely wish you the very best for your future, and genuinely trust with time it will be a wonderful future with very great, lasting love and happiness for you.

In the mean time.

Perhaps you will enjoy this thoughtful comedy.

Turn the sound up and please watch it through J.J. "This Too Shall Pass".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-nwWEpHdQ&feature=relat ed

Quote: “Being a woman in this industry is I won’t say it wasn’t a challenge, because it was, in many different ways.”

- Snipped for Shortness -

Quote: “My way of dealing with that was not to focus on what they may be thinking or saying, but simply do my work and be the best.”

The best way to offset any form of prejudice, be it sexual, colour or indeed racial prejudice, is to be awfully good at what you do.

For then, influencial people will look to you with respect, will be ready to call upon your services, and will want to benefit from your essential skills.

Everyone wants to work with, for and use the best people; be the best and you will find work, and overcome the inherent complex insecurities of far lesser personalities and individuals.

In my experience a woman has to often be about twice as good as a man at what she does, to be regarded as equal with a man. The outstanding women I have known in various fields, far outstrip their male competition.

Sadly this Forum has had some truly wise, extremely experienced, female contributors, but lost them over time.

And no-one’s asking why?

Quote: “I think there's a lot of cool guys there, lots of smart guys, quite a few people that are actually working a couple hundred days a year...”

Well for me personally, it’s really quite a lot more than that, with the additions of early starts and late finishes most of the time.

I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t busy, even when I had time off work. Inevitably my postings are becoming, ever increasingly shorter.

But to give you some idea Sean, in 2008, two of my core business ‘interests’ achieved outstandingly impressive growth rates, against the Global Industry Trends, in a business environments far more difficult, hostile  and competitive than anything the Music Industry has ever seen at any time.

This continuing upward market did not just happen by itself. It was the result of an incredible amount of hard work, extensive restructuring, continual adaptation and flexibility, continual change pre-empting consumer requirements by ultra sensitisation to highly volatile, wildly fluctuating market conditions.

All wisely advised and well guided by incredibly well informed ‘intelligence information’, with the concomitant highly detailed  forward planning, necessary to act, to deal with change before it happened, being ready for what came, competently able to deal with it when it did, expecting and anticipating every difficulty and making allowance for every foreseeable contingency possible.

Yet hilariously, those comforting themselves with the luxuriously false benefit of ceaselessly bemoaning the market difficulties they face, have no time at all to pay attention to anything I or others (like Steve Albini) that are bucking immensely powerful Industry trends have to write, and laughably dismiss our genuinely authoritative experience out of hand, complaining of us that “we write as if we think we actually know what we are writing about”.

Of course, our Bank Managers know that we do.  20% growth.

In a very difficult year, is a note worthy achievement.

And it is indeed, tremendously great.

Compensation.

I am reminded of introduction to the Lyric of a Barbara Streisand song.

“It’s not easy to be happy ..

Sometime’s it’s more ‘comfortable’ to be sad!”

With respect.

The salient point is..

Whilst some are rolling about in self pity, others are picking up their kit and moving on to new heights.

Both Shrinkage and Growth present considerable challenges, on a day to day basis that have to be dealt with, and that’s very difficult, to live with either way, it truly is.

But having long and deep personal experience of both scenarios, involving quite breathtakingly incredible sums of investment, I do have a strongly distinct preference for which scenario, I would rather live with, and it just doesn't happen by itself.

Perhaps it is the price of experience.

But Self Pity is far too expensive a luxury to afford.

And far, far too egocentrically self centred, for any sound philosophy of Life.

Quote: “Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed"

- Snipped for Shortness -

Quote: “Gearslutz: so much misinformation, so little time.”

I fully

appreciate

The import of both

Your serious points

And your humorous assertions.

Indeed, I have great sympathy with your point of view.

However, I have to tell you that, generally it is the case that when I have posted on Gearslutz it is because I have seen some criticism of the site here on P.S.W. And subsequently have gone there in order to attempt to understand, becoming properly cognizant of the criticism being made, and indeed, to clearly post, strong positive content rich information that will contribute very constructively to the debate.

It is the case that I have encountered and been treated with, respect, and have never had to fight it out with anyone, to make extremely substantive points there. I haven’t got into any volatile arguments either, even when discussing subjects outside The Recording Industry, where there naturally is an extremely wide divergence of opinion.

Please consider the very real possibility that there are people, unlike myself, who would feel absolutely compelled to enter a debate, precisely because there was misinformation, and to animadvert deprecatorily the notion that these individuals lacked education is an absurdism.

On the contrary, they may be individuals of the uttermost integrity, and such people in my experience at least, are without exception, absolute leaders in their particular field of expertise.

Is P.S.W. elitist?

So completely informed that it is more interesting to debate the nonsense of others?

Or is there a ‘communal inferiority complex’ here within certain of us, that is powerfully alleviated when they can point to the fact that others are so far below them?

Does it stem from the inner frustration of thinking so highly of ourselves, whilst a beguilingly fallacious and coercively imposturous self image is stunningly challenged outright, by the audacious act of being banned from Gearslutz, of all places?

I’m simply trying to comprehend ‘the inner dynamic’ that is at work, and why these strong criticisms are continually being made at P.S.W. in particular, as often as they are?

If the site is truly as impoverished as it’s made out to be, I would have considered it highly inadvisable.

To ever allow, a single thought about the place, into my head.

I value the real estate too much to ever waste it.

Or is all it simply a matter.

Of old fashioned.

Competition?

Quote:“Discuss.”

Very well!

The trouble is. If you insist on throwing ‘mud’ about, when everyone looks at you, plainly, they will see your hands are ‘dirty’.

The truth is. As well as the truly brilliant Moderators hereabouts like Terry Manning and Brad Blackwood along with a great many others on P.S.W.

Gearslutz has some equally fine Moderators, and I would particularly draw your attention to Steve Remote ‘Remoteness’, Jay Frigalletto and Riccardo Ricco as quite exemplary.

I completely understand the criticisms that individuals make of both P.S.W. and Gearslutz from time to time. Both are worthy of criticism occasionally, as am I, and all who are genuinely honest with themselves.

For be sure that nothing in this world is perfect, and both Forum Posters and Moderators alike, are in a real learning curve, as they begin to mature in their practical dealings with this innovative communication medium.

It is easy to be a critic, but is that really what anyone at P.S.W. or at Gearslutz genuinely wants to be known as?  For when people start to criticise, I always remember the words of Herbert Von Karajan.

“I have travelled the whole world, and have yet to see a statue in honour of a critic”.

Seasoned critic's are all straw men!

Personally, What I do find totally unacceptable is seeing Moderators of one Forum, regardless, irrespective, and irregardless of who it might be, criticise and run down the Moderators of another Forum.

Moderators of all people really ought to be setting a model example, and to be mutually supportive of one another, working together.

In a reciprocally beneficial manner, that truly benefits everyone involved in this great World Wide Web.

Which was invented, as you know, by a man from Queens College, Oxford.  

I was just there yesterday, as a matter of fact!

Irregardless..

We need.

Moderators all can respect.

Maturity instead of Immaturity.

Cooperation instead of Condemnation.

Responsibility instead of Irresponsibility.

Mutual Support instead of Mutual Slander.

Forgive a personal example..

A while back I was accused by certain individuals on P.S.W. of posting anonymously.

In actual fact, I have truly abided quite faithfully by the Forum rules, and used my real name, the name on my birth certificate, the name I was born with.

Now, the possibility has to be faced that there is a certain symmetry that creates a beautifully ironic knot of humour, in the fact that were I to use a false name, contravening Forum guidelines, that could indeed perhaps enable the miscreants to discover ‘my identity’.

But I have abided by the Forum rules entirely, and am therefore, entirely unworthy of criticism on their stated point of accusation. As you might expect I carefully crafted and scribed an incredibly robust, quite hilarious reply that entirely scotched the accusation, intimately dissected both the subconscious psychology of the miscreants, and their personal habitual practises and capped it all by openly proving their wild allegations to be completely false, and entirely without any foundation.

But to post it, would have absolutely crushed at least one of the individuals involved, and severely damaged another, making them complete and utter prime time laughing stocks. Upon reflection, I determined that to deploy such highly combustible, annihilative devices, wasn’t at all the outcome, I wished to see for the genuine and lasting good of the Forum.

So I refrained from replying at all, seeing my accusers as unworthy of a reply, for no reply was necessary, as I had entirely abided by the rules.

I for one believe, it is the good of the Forums that most Posters on all Forums everywhere, have at heart.

So I quietly withdrew, and ignored the false accusations of posting anonymously.

I rose above the childish fray of absolute immaturity.

So can every single one of us.

If we genuinely try!  

Because someone writes complete nonsense,

We are not compelled to honour them with the dignity of a reply.

In fact, upon reflection I would say, that we are honour bound not to bestow upon any such individual so deeply profound an apotheosis, as a sincere reply from anyone of genuine class, quality, depth, experience and distinction.

And I am entirely humbled and greatly privileged to write, that there are many such individuals of superlative quality to be found here at P.S.W. and at Gearslutz, if you truly look.

That there are not more, and that many have been lost, is a tragic testament, a microcosm of all the multi-faceted problems of this world.

But I am persuaded that some of us have a lasting and true answer, a genuine foil, and thus can reveal the proper way forward.

Shining light, perception, discernment, understanding conjugated and commingled with deeply profound wisdom.

P

P.S. When Einstein came to Oxford in 1931, he was already an international celebrity.

After one of his lectures a blackboard was preserved and has become a kind of relic. It is the most famous object in the Museum of the History of Science.

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/blackboard/einstein-l.htm

It is a simple explanation of the expansion of the Universe.

An exhibition marked the centenary of the Special Theory of Relativity by inviting a number of well-known people in Britain today to chalk on blackboards the same size as Einstein’s.

Gallery.

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/blackboard/gallery.htm

Brian Eno..

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/blackboard/eno-l.htm

Michael Heath... And here's the point.

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/blackboard/heath-l.htm

Must do Better!

P.P.

studio1117

Possibly the longest reply in history. Razz

seedyunderbelly.com

Kris wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 10:16

You're a good man Seedyunderbelly, despite your seedy underbelly...

You come over with a rag and a bottle of rubbing alcohol  and we'll clean that thing up together.

xj

TRA

Jules wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 10:51

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 16:23

Jules, on a serious note, why do you allow anonymity?  Don't you think it would improve the tenor of the discourse if that weren't tolerated?

Not everyone wants their real name out there, there are a lot of reasons. To list a few, people wanting to keep their opinions separate from any association with their employers......

Exactly. I have to remain anonymous because my personal opinions have reflected onto the company I work for in the past. It wasn't very hard for a certain someone to connect the dots, and I landed in a heap of trouble. I'm an opinionated jerk with zero filter between my brain and mouth. Even though I wasn't advertising who I worked for someone did figure it out, and it didn't pan out well.  

seedyunderbelly.com

TRA wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 13:47

Jules wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 10:51

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 16:23

Jules, on a serious note, why do you allow anonymity?  Don't you think it would improve the tenor of the discourse if that weren't tolerated?

Not everyone wants their real name out there, there are a lot of reasons. To list a few, people wanting to keep their opinions separate from any association with their employers......

Exactly. I have to remain anonymous because my personal opinions have reflected onto the company I work for in the past. It wasn't very hard for a certain someone to connect the dots, and I landed in a heap of trouble.

Sure there are benefits to both sides.  However  if it is at the expense of the forum at large  then  whats the point-  And without the context of whom is speaking I guess the opinions the "protected" have  are ultimately worth less anyway.

How do you sort the wheat from the chaff and the seed from the shaft?

j

Larrchild

There are subtle signs to look for.
If their entire repertoire of equipment resides in their signature, I become skeptical early on.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

TRA

Quote:

Sure there are benefits to both sides.  However  if it is at the expense of the forum at large  then  whats the point-  And without the context of whom is speaking I guess the opinions the "protected" have  are ultimately worth less anyway.

How do you sort the wheat from the chaff and the seed from the shaft?

j

Very true. I definitely see both sides, but dislike that some forums would ban me if I don't include my real name.

danickstr

I have gotten useful information from gearslutz, but make a habit of avoiding it out of some ass-backward sense of loyalty to this place.  Go figger.  I will search it for info, but will not post, or at least have not been moved to for quite awhile.  

C'est la vie.

I had an avatar here for some time with the dude with bad rocker hair wearing a green face.  I enjoyed mocking him, but that does conflict with my Zen nature, even though I will never achieve master status with anger.  Me like hitting thing too much, even figuratively.   Sometimes the only way to stop an asshole from shitting on everyone is to fock it.  Smile (south Prk)
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

bigaudioblowhard

J.J. Blair

P.P., thanks, but it's all worked out beautifully.  As Ed Cherney said about my girlfriend, "That's one hell of a consolation prize."

The only thing that is more infuriating than the anonymity are the posts that all have the same fucking theme: "What's the best (blank) to use with (blank)?"  

This is the single dumbest fucking idea ever, and it has pervaded through that community there, purely because it serves the pimps well.  Before gear forums, I never once called another engineer and said, "Hey, what pre should I use on the U87 for a folk singer?"  That shit is sofa king wee todded.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

TRA

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 30 May 2009 02:19

The only thing that is more infuriating than the anonymity are the posts that all have the same fucking theme: "What's the best (blank) to use with (blank)?"  

I have to agree with you there. Or there is the "Help me spend $$$" threads. However, I have gotten quite a bit of helpful info between those threads. I try to take everything I read with a grain of salt. I wish there were more threads promoting people to pick up a Tascam 4-track and a few SM57s for their first set-up as opposed to the whole "If you aren't running PTHD with an API front end you can't make a good recording" mentality.

Whatever, I guess. I try to stay in the loop with all of the communities regardless. I just have to remind myself that opinions are like buttholes.

hargerst

I post on GearSlutz, but very sparingly.  Frankly, GS scares the hell out of me. I'm never sure when some anonymous asshole is gonna come out of the woodwork and take potshots at me.

And this whole "what's best" thing bothers me.  They usually leave off "for this purpose", or "at this price", or "for my needs, which are..." in the thread title.  I did a thread over in HR called:

"Some Thoughts about "Better", "Best", and Mic Recommendations"

Since we see these questions asked over and over, I thought it might be helpful to clarify a couple of things. With the exception of using some mics in a few situations where you can damage them (inside a kick drum, outdoors, etc.), "A MICROPHONE DOESN'T KNOW, OR CARE, WHAT IT'S RECORDING".

Think about that for a minute; it's very important to remember. If the mic doesn't know or care what it's recording, then who's responsibility is it? (Tick...tick...tick...tick...take your time...tick...tick) That's right, it's YOUR responsibility to decide what mic to use for what purpose, where to set it up to get what you want, and it's your responsibility to try and pick the right mic for the right job.

I assume many of you play guitar. Suppose people constantly asked you:

What's the "best" guitar?

Which is "better", a 1956 Stratocaster, or a 1956 Martin D-18? Which guitar would you "recommend" I get?

When should I use a nylon string guitar and when should I use a steel string guitar?

What's the "best" guitar, if I only have $200 to spend?

I just played a $12,000 Martin D-28 and it didn't sound any different than my $200 Takamine; are these a rip off?

I want to get Jimi Hendrix's "Foxey Lady" sound, so what settings should I use with my Ovation Balladeer?

What guitar should I get for playing classical and heavy metal?

See the problems with trying to answer questions like these?

They're either unanswerable, or dependent on getting more information about the kind of music the person want to play, or answers that will be obvious when the person understands a little more about guitar.

It's the same thing with any recommendations. "Better" and "best" often means "good enough for my needs" or "better than what I currently own", but unless you know what the questioner means by "better" and "best", there's no easy answer. For what purpose? What are they trying to do with it? What problems are they having with the stuff they already own?

Yes, "world class" recordings can be made using less than "world class" equipment, but if you don't know how to use what you have, you won't make a "world class" recording. And if you don't have a good grasp of "world class" recording techniques, your recordings will never be "world class," no matter what you use.

And yes, rules are often "bent" and "broken" with great results, but it helps to understand why the rule is there, and when and how to break it.

I do make recommendations, but it is important to understand that any recommendations I make may, or may not, work for your particular application, or with your particular combination of equipment.

And that's the biggest problem in most of the forums I visit.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.