R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed"  (Read 80927 times)

Barry Hufker

I'm no gearslutz fan.  As I've said elsewhere, I registered before reading any posts (that's how confident I was about liking the people I thought I'd find).  Having registered and having begun to read some posts, I immediately (no kidding)wrote to have my name removed from registration.  All of that took 15 minutes.

Having retold this story, I do feel that if I knew someone was making fun of me (anywhere) and were now going to come into my (internet) home with the possibility of ridiculing me in my own house, that I'd remove them.  I wouldn't need that kind of headache.  I can't control what you say about me elsewhere, but I would prevent it in my own house.

If you don't want mud on you, don't play in the mud.

Barry

Jules

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 16:23

Jules, on a serious note, why do you allow anonymity?  Don't you think it would improve the tenor of the discourse if that weren't tolerated?

Not everyone wants their real name out there, there are a lot of reasons. To list a few, people wanting to keep their opinions separate from any association with their employers, people with web stalking issues not wanting their every movement to be tracked by google, general privacy  issues and even 'amusement' (Slipperman and Mixerman, both well known audio forum personalities, enjoy the game of operating a secret identity on line)

On a privacy note JJ, I recall following a link in your sig file a few years ago and was surprised to see it lead to a general online photo album which contained not only studio shots you had collected but also what seemed like all your wedding photographs (and best wishes for that even though it was a while ago!). I see that has been made private now. Not everyone wants people to access everything about them simply because they post on line.

Sean Eldon Qualls

Jules wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 11:51

(Slipperman and Mixerman, both well known audio forum personalities, enjoy the game of operating a secret identity on line)

Slipperman is not a completely anonymous human being. There weren't many Amek 9098i's built.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

J.J. Blair

Jules, the wedding pictures are no longer there, because the marriage is no longer there.  But just because my life was an open book doesn't mean that everybody else's has to be.  All I want is a name I can look up on allmusic.com.

I can't say I agree with the position, though.  Ross and Terry's forum makes identity a criteria, as does Klaus', and I think the only person who got to have an exception was Mark Chalecki, when he was at Capitol, but that was with permission from Brad.  In order to protect maybe a total of maybe eight people, you're letting hundreds of micreants run riot, and say things that I really doubt they would say without the veil of anonymity.  

Also, I would think that you would want to protect the gear manufacturers who give you ad dollars better by not letting anonymous people, with questionable motives, experience or credentials, disparage their gear, without any repercussion, or ability to call the credibility into account.  Honestly, what's more important?  Slipperman and Mixerman's identity, which everybody in the business knows anyhow, or the quality of discussion?  

A friend who is a very well known and popular engineer (whose name I'm not disclosing because he told me this in confidence) told me that because of the quality of discourse, he stopped going there.  He got tired of some guy, who for all he knew was living in his mom's basement, telling him how the last record sounded like crap.  Guys like that have a little more respect when we can all see who they are, and what they've done.  Wouldn't it be a bigger draw for the neophyte engineers are the bulk of your audience to have known famous engineer, than an anonymous Slipperman?  (I'll tell you privately who it was, if you want.)

Maybe it's time to reexamine that logic, is all I'm saying.  I've seen it over and over on different forums, no matter the subject matter: Anonymity emboldens the cowards to take pot shots.  Full disclosure encourages civilized behavior.  Sunshine is the best disinfectant, as they say.  

I mean, it's your place, you're a nice guy, and I'm glad it's the success you've made it into.  But for me, it could be a more attractive place to visit.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Jules

Anyway Sean, now you know I think its two-faced of you to trawl the GS community for sales as 'one of the gang' and then to 'amusingly' carry round a message slagging them all off elsewhere.

Like the hilariously accidentally banned 'Malice', I hadn't actually meant to ban you "forever", (despite that being the message presented to you when you tried to log in..) I merely wanted hold you up on the diss. That achieved, you are 'unbanned', your temporary suspension has is lifted.

So, back to work as usual then?

Jules

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 18:06

Jules, the wedding pictures are no longer there, because the marriage is no longer there.  But just because my life was an open book doesn't mean that everybody else's has to be.  All I want is a name I can look up on allmusic.com.

I can't say I agree with the position, though.  Ross and Terry's forum makes identity a criteria, as does Klaus', and I think the only person who got to have an exception was Mark Chalecki, when he was at Capitol, but that was with permission from Brad.  In order to protect maybe a total of maybe eight people, you're letting hundreds of micreants run riot, and say things that I really doubt they would say without the veil of anonymity.  

Also, I would think that you would want to protect the gear manufacturers who give you ad dollars better by not letting anonymous people, with questionable motives, experience or credentials, disparage their gear, without any repercussion, or ability to call the credibility into account.  Honestly, what's more important?  Slipperman and Mixerman's identity, which everybody in the business knows anyhow, or the quality of discussion?  

A friend who is a very well known and popular engineer (whose name I'm not disclosing because he told me this in confidence) told me that because of the quality of discourse, he stopped going there.  He got tired of some guy, who for all he knew was living in his mom's basement, telling him how the last record sounded like crap.  Guys like that have a little more respect when we can all see who they are, and what they've done.  Wouldn't it be a bigger draw for the neophyte engineers are the bulk of your audience to have known famous engineer, than an anonymous Slipperman?  (I'll tell you privately who it was, if you want.)

Maybe it's time to reexamine that logic, is all I'm saying.  I've seen it over and over on different forums, no matter the subject matter: Anonymity emboldens the cowards to take pot shots.  Full disclosure encourages civilized behavior.  Sunshine is the best disinfectant, as they say.  

I mean, it's your place, you're a nice guy, and I'm glad it's the success you've made it into.  But for me, it could be a more attractive place to visit.  

All points well taken, will be borne in mind and appreciated.. Thank you.

re this

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 18:06

Honestly, what's more important?  Slipperman and Mixerman's identity, which everybody in the business knows anyhow, or the quality of discussion?

That's a tricky one, er....Slipperman?

Sean Eldon Qualls

Jules wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 13:17

Anyway Sean, now you know I think its two-faced of you to trawl the GS community for sales as 'one of the gang' and then to 'amusingly' carry round a message slagging them all off elsewhere.

I spent a great deal of my time there on the guitar forum, the music forum, the "everything else" forum...I actually encourage you to go through my posts and find severe examples of me ramming a piece of equipment up someone's ass for the purpose of sales, the way MANY other members of Gearsl*tz do.

Remember, I don't work for Mercenary on commission. No one does. Of course I would love to see our little shop live long and prosper (and we do/will), but I'm not trolling message boards looking for business. Sorry to bust your bubble.

Like the hilariously accidentally banned 'Malice', I hadn't actually meant to ban you "forever", (despite that being the message presented to you when you tried to log in..) I merely wanted hold you up on the diss. That achieved, you are 'unbanned',your temporary suspension has been lifted.

I realize I don't know you very well, Jules, but this is coming off as a crock to me. How many parameters are there for banning someone? I count three. "Who, why, how long?"

"Accidentally" having the term of the ban as a permanent thing does not seem very possible under these circumstances. I'd hope you pay closer attention to detail in your recordings than you do with your job.
Sean Eldon

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Kris

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 13:06

Can I guess???  hmmmm  initials JJP by chance?  Rhymes with bukake???

You guys are too much!  Start your own damn forum and run it however you please!

With affection and a dose of humor,  Laughing

Kris

Sean Eldon Qualls wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 13:46

I spent a great deal of my time there on the guitar forum, the music forum, the "everything else" forum...I actually encourage you to go through my posts and find severe examples of me ramming a piece of equipment up someone's ass for the purpose of sales, the way MANY other members of Gearsl*tz do.

That's probably true in your world, but to someone like me, it looks exactly like Jules described.  

I bet money you'll be right back to posting at Gearslutz... I'm SURE your employer would like that.  I may be wrong though.  I'd guess that there are a few sales to be had through Gearslutz association, even if a personal commission isn't attached.  With that said, I am a fan of Mercenary and do find value in much of the posts your crew has made over the years...

I think it is nice of Jules to lift the 'ban' and you should be a stand up pimp and remove the tasteless quote from your sig here!  

Just my $.00001

studio1117

Wow, I think maybe I was the first to be banned from Gearslutz!! Hurray for me!!!
Actually I would disagree with some in here, I think that Gearslutz has wonderful, wonderful potential. I gleaned a lot of info from the site (maybe that means I'm a moron)
I was actually a bit pissed that they banned me, I felt like I was fighting the fight they should have been fighting.

I got into a long argument with the usual douche suspects about the new TLM67. I simply thought it was wrong to allow posts about how the mic sucked before it came out and that slamming a company (which I do sell for BTW, but not the reason) without anything to back it up was wrong. Posts that read nothing more than "Neumann sucks" are uninformative nor useful, yet it seems gearslutz embraces this amateur style. I have no problem with a post that says "I have used several new Neumann's and they sucked so I'd imagine the new one won't be much better" that is an informed opinion. "Neumann sucks" is not.

In the process Gearslutz' obviously beloved gearpimp to the hip hop crowd Tony Belmont goes out and find pics posted on my other websites and brings them into the mix on one of the threads.(He thought it was somehow insulting to me...funny as I had posted the pics on my own websites, but I don't proclaim to know how that guy thinks) I quite thought it was funny that I get booted for attempting to make these obvious mentally challenged individuals use the forum in the proper way and yet Tony "I never add anything useful" Belmont stays behind to spread his wealth of information. Jules WTF is up with Gearslutz? Who IS running the show over there? You are letting possibly one of the best forums for audio on the net be hacked up with morons. You have some really great people go on the site only to run away and hide from the horror that is 1/2 the people on Gearslutz. I think the signature line from the guy you all just banned  is to the point and frankly honest about the state of your site.
  As a guy who owns several of his own businesses I'd gladly take any abuse I could about my business if it meant it would improve what I do. I see the guys sig line as a way for you to reach out rather than slay yet another potentially good poster to protect the worthless, to embrace him and say "why do you feel that way?". Anytime anyone ever called, stopped by etc to let me know about something they were unhappy with about my business, I thanked my lucky stars that they were giving me another chance to keep them as a customer. You've got a good thing going man, clean it up. I'll gladly head up the "This thread is Bull$hit" forum.
UPDATE
  Oops, just saw that many of my issues had been addressed in a few previous posts by the time I posted this. Jules, I appreciate your taking the suggestions to help your site and I hope it continues, as I said you are sitting on a stream with a lot of little flakes of gold that could lead to the motherload. Keep it up.

Sean Eldon Qualls

Kris wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 14:11

That's probably true in your world, but to someone like me, it looks exactly like Jules described.  

I bet money you'll be right back to posting at Gearslutz...

::snip::

Just my $.00001

Well, I certainly hope you've got more than $.00001 for this bet. I've gotta pay off some new furniture, and a little extra padding for my fall vacation wouldn't hurt.

I think I've made my stance on the matter quite clear. I was on Gearsl*tz before I was at Mercenary and my style of posting didn't magically change when I got up to Massachusetts. If this is the way that place is run, I choose not to participate, and I choose to let people know exactly what happened.

I never said that EVERYONE at Gearsl*tz is a moron. I think there's a lot of cool guys there, lots of smart guys, quite a few people that are actually working a couple hundred days a year...
Sean Eldon

Kris

Well I didn't say I'd bet YOU money... that would be plain stupid!

J.J. Blair

Kris wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 11:04

Can I guess???  hmmmm  initials JJP by chance?  Rhymes with bukake???

You guys are too much!  Start your own damn forum and run it however you please!

With affection and a dose of humor,  Laughing

Well, no it wasn't JJP, but as you know, I got censored by Jules for the term "sonic bukkake."  LOL.  

JJP and I know each other, but I wouldn't say we are friends.  Very Happy

Not that he cares what I think, anyway.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

mgod

I propose Sean be made a moderator on Gearlsutz, thus solving the problem of his complaints about it.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Sean Eldon Qualls

mgod wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 17:46

I propose Sean be made a moderator on Gearlsutz, thus solving the problem of his complaints about it.

DS

Hah! Just gimme The Moan Zone! Even altered privileges where I can only see that particular forum!
Sean Eldon

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.