R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed"  (Read 80906 times)

Sean Eldon Qualls

Quote (or "pretty-much quote") belongs to the lovely Dave Hecht.

So, let's say you're seeing this girl (or guy, whatever excites your nether-region) for a few years...and a majority of the time you're with this person you know, 100%, that you can't actually stand to be around her/him. For many months, you wonder how you can comfortably get out of something you only do 'cos it's comfortable.

Well, it seems the easiest way out is to start leaving dirty laundry in another broad's house.

Today I was (thankfully?) banned permanently from the pool of booty engineers swimming with sharks, "Gearsl*tz".

Reason? Something awesome Dave Hecht said that I remind people of here in my signature.

Quote:

vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
WTF is this? Sean Eldon Mercenary Audio sean@mercenary.com "Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed." - Dave Hecht

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

I especially enjoy the 12-year-old-girl eBreviation of "What the fuck?"

Discuss.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Barry Hufker

It's obvious you were consciously or subconsciously looking for a fight and you got one.  Why else would you post that?  Figuratively you wore a shirt saying "You're a dick.  Punch Me."  and so they did.

I don't visit gearslutz.  And it's your life. But I'm certainly not going to berate them for doing what you asked.

Barry

Sean Eldon Qualls

Barry Hufker wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 19:44

It's obvious you were consciously or subconsciously looking for a fight and you got one.  Why else would you post that?  Figuratively you wore a shirt saying "You're a dick.  Punch Me."  and so they did.

Hello Barry, I hope all is well.

I'm not sure how much more direct I could have made my post.

Great T-shirt idea, by the way. I'd buy one.

It is also worth noting that the only place the Dave Hecht quote was visible was HERE. Not on Gearsl*tz.

Dave. You never call anymore. What the hey? Busy?
Sean Eldon

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Barry Hufker

Hi Sean,

I guess I didn't understand the analogy with the girlfriend.  Sorry.

But I suppose, for me, the circumstances are the same.  Why would you post that unless you wanted to make fun of gearslutz?  And they found out about it so they banned you.

I want 10 percent of the gross (not net) of the T-shirt sales if you start selling them.  The follow-up shirt would be "Ow. You punched me you dick."

Barry

marcel

Did they ban Dave too?

If they're gonna ban you for something Dave said...
Best, Marcel

J.J. Blair

Congrats, Sean.  I'm liking you more and more!  

Did Jules ban you?  I'm confused.  So you got banned for your signature in another forum?  

As you know, I recently quit there.  It was getting the worst of me.

It's not my place, and Jules can run it as he sees fit, but if it were me running it, I would end the tolerance of anonymity.  Also, you're not the first guy to get run out of there.  It's a shame that people who might have actually made a record at some point are dissuaded from participating, while the lunatics run the asylum.  It's like bros over pros.  Ross was banned, I was suspended once, you're banned, but George Necola is a moderator.

Maybe the current format gets him more traffic, but it's a shame that the people who aren't uneducated or misinformed either get banned, or give up in frustration because the current policies encourage anonymous jackasses to act however they want.  

Like I said, it's his prerogative.  He's got bills to pay, so he needs to do whatever he feels keeps the traffic up.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Podgorny

New Signature!
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

seedyunderbelly.com

I like how they treat CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...............BANNED

I say constructive as it may have encouraged some self awareness------where it was "unneeded and unwaranted"   and BANNED!

Sean!

Peter Beckmann

Way to go Sean.

Gives you more time to hang out over here!!

Peter
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

Jules

Yeah, you really hated it round there a lot didn't you?

index.php/fa/12381/0/

Fletcher

Banning someone for a signature file they've had for months [if not a year] is pretty ridiculous... as is this thread [hence it's new home].

Sean, you need to realize that it's not a democracy over there... Jules, you can either be a compassionate dictator or an oppressive dictator... but not both.

The fact of the matter is that the traffic is quite high [interestingly, not quite as high as this sites, but neither here nor there] and at the end of the day it's a simple question of "quantity vs. quality".

I'm quite bummed that "So Much Gear, So Little Time" forum has supplanted the"Low
End Theory" forum and that "High End" has a ridiculously low set bar... but that's just me.

Overall, it's a nice distraction... but finding serious information is pretty few and far between.

Ce la vie.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Sean Eldon Qualls

Fletcher wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 07:37

Ce la vie.

Agreed. And thanks for moving this, shoulda been here in the first place.

Jules wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 06:06

Yeah, you really hated it round there a lot didn't you?

Couple posts a day. Not that bad.

In my opinion, you don't have the sack to be commenting on this. No, I didn't really like it there. Ever hear of self-deprecation? I'm not the first guy and I'm not the last.

The childish (there really isn't a better word) reason that I was banned bothers me...but actually being banned doesn't bother me. To me, it seems I was targeted and there's a bit of vendetta involved...'cos I really didn't do anything. I think you picked the wrong guy to make an example.

I'll kinda miss "The Moan Zone". That's some of the funniest shit on the internet.
Sean Eldon

Kris

Well I have a degree in Computer Science and I've made a few posts at Gearslutz...

as for misinformed...

depends on who you listen to... you've definately GOT to watch out for the gearpimps over there Shocked ...

J.J. Blair

To make it clear, I left because I didn't like my own behavior there.  I could simply not disengage from the trolls.  I'm going to miss Kittonian trying to sell me a Peluso mic, though!

Jules, on a serious note, why do you allow anonymity?  Don't you think it would improve the tenor of the discourse if that weren't tolerated?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tomas Danko

Practically speaking, they are moderating outside the boundaries of their community. (Meaning, they can't moderate what you say elsewhere but they do expand their boundaries for the community to include anything you state elsewhere in their evaluation of your access to the community).
If you behave totally fine there, why censor you because of something you say elsewhere?

It's like banning someone because you don't like what he or she stands for, no matter how polite he or she is within the community in question. Actually, that's pretty much the only reason for their action.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.