R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed"  (Read 80916 times)

Kris

I second the motion.

Sean Eldon Qualls

Kris wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 19:56

I second the motion.

I actually don't. I mean, a week-long paid gig as temporary Moan Zone moderator MIGHT be funny...but...

While deleting the bookmark from Firefox, I clicked it one last time to see that I wasn't banned. I logged out. My brain simply doesn't need that.

Should I use this thread to post fun and delicious dinner recipes now? I don't want it to go to waste...
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Kris

You win!

seedyunderbelly.com

Jules did have a funny tug when he showed the posting history,  And then reinstated you  I think you guys should be pals again!

j

seedyunderbelly.com

edit:  

Thanks Kris,      for suggesting I delete the commentary on the newly deleted thread over yonder-  

Wow  things are looking up!

I am impressed by Jules too.

cheers -j

marcel

I still want to know what happened to Dave...
Best, Marcel

Hank Alrich

He's gone all to Hecht!

Edvaard

"Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed"

The MOST apt description of American politics and media.

TY

Dave Hecht

Originally wasn't going post on this thread, but I did promise Sean I'd make a few comments.

As for my original quote, it was basically due to the same things JJ already pointed out. Total anonymity lets the morons take over the asylum. If you want to call someone an asshole, or bash a  manufacturer or their product, that's fine. Just man up, grow a set, use your real name and take responsibility for your comments. I realize that not everyone over there falls into that category, but enough do to make me uninterested in the entire forum.

I've noticed a lot less of those posts here, and I agree, it's because of our full name policy.

As for me being banned over there, well I don't actually post there, so no point really, but no I haven't been ( at least until this post goes up).

and Sean, I believe I promised you a new quote. How's this:

Gearslutz: so much misinformation, so little time.

If that don't work for you, kick it over to Adam. I know he was feeling left out, not being banned and all.

Dave Hecht

Larrchild

Banned-Camp.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Fletcher

Jules wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 13:17

Anyway Sean, now you know I think its two-faced of you to trawl the GS community for sales as 'one of the gang' and then to 'amusingly' carry round a message slagging them all off elsewhere.

Whoa.

NOBODY from M-A "trolls for sales".   We go there to pass along good information while doing "effective public relations".  The definition of "public relations" is when you gain "goodwill, acceptance and understanding for your product or service".

Goodwill?  Taking the time to explain things, share professional experiences, outline a technique, shoot a joke.

Acceptance?  Must be... while I've been banned numerous times, and have stopped posting for a few months here and there when I'd had enough of the bullshit... I get numerous PM's asking me why I've stopped posting... and when I contribute again comments on "how good it is that I'm posting on GS again" [ass kissers... all of them].

Understanding?  I think we have established [the Mercenary "we"] that we're pretty "no bullshit" when it comes to this stuff.  We don't just have an "unconditional return policy", we live it.  We are very discriminating about what lines we will handle, and more importantly, which ones we don't.  I have seen numerous posts where people have said "well it's sold in Mercenary... it must be good".

None of those aspects lead to "trolling for sales".  They add value to the community [good information, dissemination of ideas, concepts and techniques] while showing that the people who work at our shop actually know what they're talking about.

We'll leave the blatant "pimping" to the Kittonian's and Tony Belmont's of this world.  To that end you can very often find someone from Mercenary recommending product that is not listed on our website.  You can find all kinds of technique posts.  You can also find a whole boat load of posts that say _______ (which we sell) probably won't be the best tool for the job.

With that comes our irreverent sense of humor, we have a severe lack of tolerance for bullshit.  It comes with the territory.  We have a studio in the building that is used damn near every night and weekend when the shop that shares space with it is closed.  

The facility has changed a lot since you were there Jules... what used to be a "machine room" for the bike shop is now a very well stocked, modified LEDE control room.  It's kinda like a "home studio" in that it's not very big... but if I do say so myself, it's quite well designed.

The sense of humor part is pretty much endemic to the engineering world.  You used to have a quite irreverent sense of humor which seems to have all but vanished.  Engineers in general seem to be quite intelligent and observant people.  This character trait leads to the observation and dissemination of those observations, especially where irony [and flat out stupidity] is concerned.

With all due respect, I would suggest you take a good hard look at what that site has become.  American Idol discussions in a "gear" forum?  A little "social" discourse here and there is fine... but it seems to be the staple of "so much gear" these days.  RODE mics being discussed in "High End"? Focusrite considered "High End"?  Spare me.  That forum was once at about the level of this set of forums, but not any more.  Now it's rather difficult to tell the difference between that forum and "low end theory".

You have a good product in those forums.  Hell, my company was your first advertiser, and continues to advertise 7 years later.  We will probably continue to advertise until the day when the forums have disintegrated far below the level of products we provide... how long that takes will be determined by you, and your moderating staff.

I quite enjoy the community you have created... but dare say that as the population increases you should be either expanding your moderation staff... and when you have really good ones [like Chris Lambrechts], it might be in your best interest to find a way to hang on to them.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

zmix

Larrchild wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 03:11

Banned-Camp.

How about making some Gearslutz T-shirts for the next AES convention:  "I'm with the Banned"

Jules

Larrchild wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 08:11

Banned-Camp.

That's very funny!

zmix wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 13:18

How about making some Gearslutz T-shirts for the next AES convention:  "I'm with the Banned"

Hi-Larious too!

Kris

I knew Jules still had a sense of humor...

Kris

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 00:10

I have never spent much time over there  -  It was the Helios thread that made me get involved here..   after all of this "bliss"  I was curious   what IS going on

Here is the 1st thread I opened up

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/3 93622-women-better-audio-engineers.html

I am confused that this bullshit flies

When it's reported to the mods it doesn't... just like it wouldn't here.  Try the link now.

p.s. you should delete your post above which quotes that b.s.  It is plain rude, extremely disrespectful, and shouldn't be on record anywhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.