R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alesis HD24 with EC-2 upgrade or Fostex D2424LV for live multitrack recordings?  (Read 4027 times)

Dan Gruner

Need to purchase a 24 track HDD recorder for a series of live concert recordings.  What do people recommend out of the Alesis HD24 with upgraded EC-2 converters, or the Fostex D2424LV?  Both appear to be quite old models.  Anything else I should look at?   Quality is the most important factor, as well as reliability!

Many Thanks,

Dan
Dan Gruner
Loud Events
Engineered PA hire, installation and repairs

Tel: 01749 813132 / 07811 961637

abtech

I am using a Tascam X48 and have had great results using it only as a multitrack recorder/reproducer.  It was originally marketed as a complete DAW, but never really delivered on that promise.  I use it for remotes and then as the multitrack master for mixing at my studio.  It easily handles 24/96 at full track count and has several features that allow it to be interfaced with various video systems for television etc.

It is a bit pricier than either of the models you mention, but is quite a bit more hardware.  The downside is that the AD/DA converters are ala carte and are not included with the base machine.  Shopping around should yield a good deal on a fully configured system.  The latest software rev is 1.1, but 1.11 is in prerelease at this time and resolves several small issues with stability on large projects.
and your girlfriend too . . .

Jim Williams

HD24XR's go for about $1650 here new. Less used. I've reworked both the Fostex and Alesis. I own the Alesis.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Dan Gruner

Yea, the Tascam X48 would be very nice!

So what out of the Fostex and Alesis has the best A/D converters, or rather the sweetest sounding?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Gruner
Loud Events
Engineered PA hire, installation and repairs

Tel: 01749 813132 / 07811 961637

abtech

I can't answer that, but the X48's converters sound pretty nice.  I have just received the test CDs from a recent project and they sound great all the way through the chain.  I have heard people slag the X48 converters, but I understand they are the same converters used in the Radar S-Nyquist.  I have cut to tape (Studer A-80 MCH) and the X48 and they sound very close.
and your girlfriend too . . .

Sonic Skip

I'm very pleased with the sound and reliability of my HD-24XR.

Skip

Tom D

I've been using the Alesis HD24's  [non-upgrade]  for probably over six years, so long I don't really remember.  Sound good, trouble free, and the drives are very inexpensive, it's been almost "free" to record.  Let's you invest in other 'gear head" things!

Tom Durso
First Bass Audio   Owner/Engineer
Chief Broadcasting Engineer
WIUS-FM, WAXS,  UTV-3
Macomb, IL.

spm_gl

We have a Fostex 2424LV. The converters are good, but definitely not the very best money can buy. But the performance and reliability is great. It helps if you have a linux system though, then you can mount the HD and copy the audio files directly, otherwise you're limited to adat connection or the really terrible ftp over 10Mbit.
Oh, they do seem to be very choosy concerning HD's.
All in all, I'd actually not recommend it.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Our blog: http://blog.spreemusik.com

tonto

I don't know about a side by side sound comparison.  Not sure there will be much of a sonic difference.  It will all come down to the operation and the features that each offers.

We have been using the HD24 for the same use for years.  We get split from stage mics into our own preamps.  We use a combination of ATI's 8MX2 and PreSonus Digimax, then into HD24 (sometimes 2X HD24 for more then 24 channels or back up).  Then the output of the HD24 into a mixer to monitor each channel and at the same time we make a stereo mix onto a MasterLink to give to the client after the performance as a reference.

Later, take the hard drives to the studio and put the tracks onto DAW to do a proper mix of the performance.

Never had been disappointed with our HD24s.  when they are not on location recording we also use them in the studio for tracking and as an A/D converter.
 Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
Major T. J. "King" Kong-Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.