R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi Freq. Squeal in 1073 Mid Band?  (Read 1528 times)

rphilbeck

Hi Freq. Squeal in 1073 Mid Band?
« on: July 11, 2009, 05:37:53 PM »

Hi all,

I've got a Brent Averill 1073 that has developed a hi frequency squeal in the mid band frequency.  You can hear it coming directly from the unit, or in the signal chain while monitoring whatever channel it is assigned to.  

The squeal is quieter when the eq button is switched out.  It stops all together when the mid band knob is switched to the "off" position.  The frequency of the squeal adjusts as you sweep the mid band knob.

I initially thought it was coming from the power supply, but it is actually coming from the module itself. I'll contact BAE on Monday, but it's the weekend, and I'd like to get as educated as possible as to why this 1 and a half year old huge investment is already acting up.  If anything I might sleep better.

Robert

sodderboy

Re: Hi Freq. Squeal in 1073 Mid Band?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »

An EQ and an oscillator are electronic step-brothers.  So often when an EQ goes bad it becomes an oscillator- any Trident 80-B or offspring owners can attest.  When one of those 3 or 4 stack EQ pots goes off, you can blow speakers with the result.
I figure that something in the feedback loop of that 1073 circuit is cold-soldered or there is a bad component.  Call Brent FIRST and see what he suggests.  I imagine a brief holiday in CA is in order.
Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 15 queries.