R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment ergonomics  (Read 72574 times)

Ed Littman

Re: Equipment ergonomics
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2009, 01:11:27 AM »

Silvertone wrote on Sun, 24 May 2009 08:37

Personally I just can't have the computer monitor where phantom center is, it just messes me up... having a console in front of me is hard enough.

I Just recently removed the computer monitors from the desk area & installed 2 32" TV's on the front wall...kind of a bitch with the existing acoustic paneling but ended up right.It sounds better too.

My pet peeve about the sterling desks is that i have to reach long for some gear & stand up to document settings. There's a small pitch in the floor from the studios original Garage days. I've gotten used to holding my chair so it does not roll back but some times i forget & come close to landing my arse to the floor. Not the coolest act while clients are there. I guess one of these days I'll have a desk made with steaper racks.There still is an advantage to the old rack n' roll system that Steve has.
Ed

index.php/fa/12356/0/

TotalSonic

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2009, 02:48:01 AM »

Ed Littman wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 01:11

I Just recently removed the computer monitors from the desk area & installed 2 32" TV's on the front wall...kind of a bitch with the existing acoustic paneling but ended up right.It sounds better too.

Looks cool!  My big fear with doing this though is that in an attended session the client would get obsessed with what is on the screen (after all we've been trained by lots years to pay attention by what's on the "TV") rather than just listening.  Personally I try to keep my own focus off of the DAW as well, so for now think I'm going to deal with the computer monitors as small as I can deal with them (running dual 15" here) and pushed off to the side.

index.php/fa/12356/0/

Ed - also got to say that the Buzz EQ looks AWESOME in your desk!  How about a close up?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

finetuner

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2009, 07:44:40 AM »

Recently traded this:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4521/studioold.jpg

for this:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7803/studionew.jpg

Feels much better, sounds a bit better too.
No problems doing the editing sideways now. Went for a custom desk more or less like Sterling but with more writing space and a slightly steeper angle.

@ Steve: No problems reading the small print on your screens that way ?
Peter van't Riet
FineTune Mastering

Mark Wilder

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2009, 08:16:26 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sun, 24 May 2009 19:46

Your new room looks beautiful Mark!

Thank you Steve, but I have to give props to Carl Rowatti and WSDG for the esthetic.  We just moved in and made it our own.
Mark Wilder

bblackwood

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »

As you can see here, I prefer the 'monitor off to the side' approach with a small-footprint desk. Still need to get the trim guys in here...

(crappy iphone camera pic)
http://euphonicmasters.com/misc/euphonic_desk_0509.JPG

Been considering one large screen on the front wall but I don't want the DAW to become the focal point.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ed Littman

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »

Quote:

Ed - also got to say that the Buzz EQ looks AWESOME in your desk!  How about a close up?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ok You asked for it. Tv's on the wall so far have not been a problem with clients sonic focus.
index.php/fa/12358/0/
Crappy Photographer..camera is ok

Phil Demetro

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »

Some impressive rooms!

I've just gone through a major shift from Soffit speakers to floorstanders. It changed literally everything! I had to go to a smaller desk, put the screens to the side, add feet to the speakers to get the tweeter to ear height, then add a sub due to the lost rumble of the speakers being raised.....sigh. Big job.

It changed my workflow a bit but my work sounds better. Main gear in a Sterling modular plan A. Side rack houses comps and converters. The monitor stand solves most issues other than my left ear get more attention when I'm editing or if I'm using plugins.

mastertone

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »

Nice desk Brad!

What is the bottom left rack? And what do you do with that green button?
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

bblackwood

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »

mastertone wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 10:59

Nice desk Brad!

Thanks! It's a custom Sterling Modular.

Quote:

What is the bottom left rack? And what do you do with that green button?

Bottom piece is a pair of passive M/S attenuators, box above it is the M/S matrix (active, SS).
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Viitalahde

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »

Screen on the side makes sense to me. My previous solution of getting completely out of the sweet spot while editing was confusing, but maybe this would work. If I moved the screen on the side, my desk could also be much smaller.

Do you guys sit at an angle to the speakers while editing?

I in fact find I'm doing it already.. Partially because I want to be communicatin with the customers present better, but I think it's also because I want to get slightly out of the sweet spot and "zoom out".
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

TotalSonic

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 12:21

Screen on the side makes sense to me. My previous solution of getting completely out of the sweet spot while editing was confusing, but maybe this would work. If I moved the screen on the side, my desk could also be much smaller.

Do you guys sit at an angle to the speakers while editing?

Yup.  Headphones sometimes go on for real extensive editing.  EQ and compression decisions made facing forward front and center.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »

finetuner wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 07:44

@ Steve: No problems reading the small print on your screens that way ?

Nope.  I can see everything just fine.  Nice thing with my main DAW app (SAWStudio) is you can instantly go to a custom view of whatever elements of the DAW environment you want to see at whatever size you want them to be just by hitting an F-key.

I have a separate office computer for internet surfing, book keeping, web design, FTP, customer tracking, etc. that has a 22" screen.  

btw - Your new setup looks really nice!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Phil Demetro

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »

The monitor stand I use has castors....so i'm constantly moving it in and out of the picture. I'll sometimes swivel it around to face the speakers when editing. This approach has forced me to use headphones for checking the occasional fade. This is something I never had to do before when I had the soffit speakers.

jdg

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

i've used be all about  side LCD monitoring, but i had to ditch it.  i was getting serious neck and back pains.. most likely from a previous injury.   i've settled for a smaller LCD out front that i can tilt and move out of the way if needed.

the large screens way out front like Ed would work best for me.
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

bblackwood

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »

jdg wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 12:38

i've used be all about  side LCD monitoring, but i had to ditch it.  i was getting serious neck and back pains.. most likely from a previous injury.   i've settled for a smaller LCD out front that i can tilt and move out of the way if needed.

the large screens way out front like Ed would work best for me.

Yah, that's precisely why I've been considering the big screen approach. I just don't care for that look. That being said, in every other way it's the superior answer - computer monitor is out of the monitor path and you can continue to look straight ahead while working...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.