R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment ergonomics  (Read 73131 times)

Mark Wilder

Re: Equipment ergonomics
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »

My screen used to be off to the side, but there are times where I'll switch from input to playback while EQ'ing just to insure I'm on target.  So with the screen off to the side, my head is spinning in circles and I'm paying less attention to the music and more attention to where I am on the screen.  Now with the screen in front, I'm much more focused forward.  I can flatten out the screen tilt and lay it lower than the front of my desk where It has no sonic footprint while I'm mastering.  Then I can drag it up into my face for editing.  And with the smaller footprint desk, putting the monitor off to the side would interfere with monitoring.  I'm just tickled with this set up.
Mark Wilder

David Glasser

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »

Mark Wilder wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 12:21

My screen used to be off to the side, but there are times where I'll switch from input to playback while EQ'ing just to insure I'm on target.  So with the screen off to the side, my head is spinning in circles and I'm paying less attention to the music and more attention to where I am on the screen.  Now with the screen in front, I'm much more focused forward.

Very nice setup Mark. I experimented with monitor placement as well. Originally I had the screen on an arm that I could push low, to the side, as shown in this photo, or place dead center for editing. I rarely moved the screen from the side position. New setup is the screen & keyboard on a cart to the side of the desk. Being somewhat off-axis while editing has not been a problem, and there's always headphones. The screen is switchable to 3 workstations.

While I'm EQ-ing the main keyboard moves are pressing the spacebar and toggling Input/Playback, so this works fine and the screen is totally out of the way and out of sight. The 3 bay-wide desk is also the right size for both myself and the client to sit side-by-side if we want. The space capsule cockpit approach doesn't really work for me.

The center bay is the Maselec surround console and metering; processing is in the other 2 bays, except for some minimal-control items like a Fairman and L2 which are in a rolling rack. Converters, disc playback, and other misc. stuff are in the side rack.

index.php/fa/12361/0/
David Glasser
Airshow Mastering
Boulder, CO

dave@airshowmastering.com
www.airshowmastering.com

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2009, 03:49:24 PM »

man you guys all have awesome looking rooms. *sigh*

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 18:40

I've been considering the big screen approach. I just don't care for that look. That being said, in every other way it's the superior answer - computer monitor is out of the monitor path and you can continue to look straight ahead while working...

i like the projector approach, like mssrs ward and weston have at their place...

http://www.chicagomasteringservice.com/images/controlroomfinal.jpg

finetuner

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 18:44

... I have a separate office computer for internet surfing, book keeping, web design, FTP, customer tracking, etc. that has a 22" screen..

Ah that makes sense too.
I've been thinking about a small extra computer to offer clients internet access, provided a strict user account management obviously..

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 18:44

btw - Your new setup looks really nice!

thanks!
Peter van't Riet
FineTune Mastering

crna59

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »

Here is a custom desk we had built. It's on wheels and is only about 30" high. The equipment is now in the center and right sections with the monitor in the left section. We also have a custom rack in the back for converters, transports, tape and such.

index.php/fa/12362/0/

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

jfrigo

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »

There's a balance to be found between ergonomics and acoustics. A person needs to accomplish work in the room every day, and for me, that means having a console of some kind. However, it makes sense to keep it as small as possible, pay attention to the angles for reflections into the listening position, and I've even built acoustic treatments into key spots in the desk. If more space is needed, add low angled racks to the sides. Also it pays to keep the bottom open, instead of everything closed off right down to the floor.

As for screens (video/computer monitors), there are 2 in my space. One is on a small rolling cart off to the side (not pictured). I can move it closer if I'm doing a lot of editing, or leave it out of the way if EQing. The mouse and keyboard are wireless, so I can put those on the main console, or leave them on the cart as desired.

The second screen is in front of the room. We do a lot of concert video, so sometimes it displays the corresponding picture. It can also be switched to display a second computer, or to be a second monitor for the main computer, dual desktop, or mirrored. It's a pretty flexible setup.

http://promastering.com/images/studioweb.jpg

Ed Littman

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 12:44

I have a separate office computer for internet surfing, book keeping, web design, FTP, customer tracking, etc. that has a 22" screen.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Yes very nice rooms around here, & jeewiz so clean & uncluttered.

I have two computers too located in in the next room closet. I use the same TV's to monitor both ...just use a KVM switch located under the desk.

If anyone uses a projector....how do you addres the fan noise that they all have?

Ed

TotalSonic

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 10:19

Still need to get the trim guys in here...

I'm wondering whose project is more like "Chinese Democracy" here - me waiting to finally sand, stain and poly the shabby hardwood floors in here (been procrastinating on this at least a year now) - or you waiting to put in the trim into your room!  At least I have a better excuse - as I'll have to load out everything from my room and suffer probably a week downtime while doing this.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 20:13

Yes very nice rooms around here, & jeewiz so clean & uncluttered.

Unfortunately that definitely does not describe my room currently!  But I'm working on it.

Quote:

I have two computers too located in in the next room closet. I use the same TV's to monitor both ...just use a KVM switch located under the desk.

Yeah - I have the exact same setup here except the KVM goes to LCD's instead of TV monitors.  I have one DAW for playback, the other for capture/final assembly.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bblackwood

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 19:55

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 10:19

Still need to get the trim guys in here...

I'm wondering whose project is more like "Chinese Democracy" here - me waiting to finally sand, stain and poly the shabby hardwood floors in here (been procrastinating on this at least a year now) - or you waiting to put in the trim into your room!  At least I have a better excuse - as I'll have to load out everything from my room and suffer probably a week downtime while doing this.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

With approx 375' linear of trim to cut, dry fit, stain, poly, then final fit, I'm looking at more than a week's down time - I'm just way too busy to schedule that much time off.

Hopefully by the end of the summer...

And to be fair, I initially waited on the trim to insure the acoustics were perfect - once I finally finished that up (last October thank you Tom @ Northward!) I was ready for trim in earnest, so it's only been seven months...

Of course, once that's done, the room is FINISHED! Yay™.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Greg Reierson

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:33 PM »

jdg wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 13:14

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 10:51

I've got that same exact space heater for my studio as well!

me 2

Me 3... Are we on to something?

GR

compasspnt

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2009, 11:47:45 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 23:16

Warm Reverberation?

crna59

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »

me 2

Space heater? Just get a pair of Pass Labs XA amps...  You'll be needing AC just to work in there!

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

mastertone

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2009, 03:03:33 AM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 22:16

me 2

GR

Yeah, its a good heater.  Smile
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2009, 05:44:24 AM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 04:16

me 2

GR

Me 6, although I now never need to use it. Plenty of Manley and Cranesong boxes will keep most anywhere more than warm enough!!

peter
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.