R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment ergonomics  (Read 73166 times)

ggidluck

Re: Equipment ergonomics
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »

How about an iPAD for remote control?

There is an app for that (of course). Mocha VNC will do remote control of either OSX and Windows computer screens.

The question then becomes... where did I put the screen instead of where do I put the screen.  Very Happy  

Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

pmx

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2010, 08:09:50 AM »

i've been thinking about that too, not as a remote but as an extra wireless display for plugs and such. it's about as wide as a 6000 remote and my dk gonio.
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

Viitalahde

« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »

I really need some input here, help me out.

I constantly keep on changing opinions between having a big screen in front wall vs. having a dedicated DAW stand to the side, and I should start making some decisions here.

Just about any screen in front of me bugs me, but at least the big TV is far away and it blends to the wall when you blank it while processing. On the other side, it's still there and you've also got to position in pretty low for more comfy working.

A DAW stand (like the Sterling Modular one) would be a cool one, but I'd have to keep it pretty far away on the side, and also move away from the sweet spot once in a while. For editing, I figured you could always roll it in front of the desk. But I'm afraid it gets too gimmicky after doing it for a while.

Anyone here who's done both?
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

jackthebear

« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2010, 09:13:13 AM »

I'll do my best here to help......we have adopted the monitor on the side approach.....keeps your stereo image free and keeps your auditory sense focused.....I'm sure there are others with equally strong arguments for the other way.......
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Greg Reierson

« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »

jdg

« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »

I got a 46" LCD tv a month back pushed way back.

It runs 1920x1080. The size and distance is perfect for me Smile

It works well on my KVM too.

It would have been easier to just go with a side screen, but after trying in earnest several times, I just ponied up for a large TV/monitor
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Ruairi O'Flaherty

« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »

I've been in the same position for the last little while.  A friend offered me a giant 60 inch plasma for a song but I don't like the idea of the screen becoming the focus of the room, in an ideal world everything in front of me would be dark (ala Grundmann's).  It seems to me that clients love looking at screens and rarely to the benefit of the listening experience...

Working to the side is not an option for me as I still mix in HD  occasionally which requires major screen/keyboard action.  In the end I decided to get 2 x 23 inch Apple LCDs which I'm building into a custom low profile console.  The screens will be raked steeply in front of me side by side. A blackout screen saver is essential.  When I mix in HD I'll use both screens and then a switcher when I grow up and get a 2nd capture machine.

Best of luck with the quandry Jaakko.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Viitalahde

« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

I think what I really need is a stand that magically pops up the screen from behind the console when I clap my hands.

Thanks for the input, guys. Greg's post gives just "no message body", which seems to sometimes be a common error here. Anyone else seeing that?

jackthebear wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 16:13

I'll do my best here to help......we have adopted the monitor on the side approach.....keeps your stereo image free and keeps your auditory sense focused.....I'm sure there are others with equally strong arguments for the other way.......

Yeah, this is what I'm starting to feel like after all. Turning your screen on/off can also be pretty distracting. The Sterling Modular DAW stand looks like it's pretty slick, and for editing you could probably roll it in front of your desk just fine. For basic play/rec action you could just go with wireless keyboard and mouse on your console with occasional looks to the side.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

bblackwood

« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 15:52

Greg's post gives just "no message body", which seems to sometimes be a common error here. Anyone else seeing that?

That typically happens when someone posts something then deletes it.

Quote:

jackthebear wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 16:13

Yeah, this is what I'm starting to feel like after all. Turning your screen on/off can also be pretty distracting. The Sterling Modular DAW stand looks like it's pretty slick, and for editing you could probably roll it in front of your desk just fine. For basic play/rec action you could just go with wireless keyboard and mouse on your console with occasional looks to the side.

I've had mine off to the side for 15 years and am *this* close to buying an LCD for the front wall...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Macc

« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »

I have two small low table jobbies (Ikea Rast Very Happy ) in front of me, filled with rockwool, with a monitor on each. It means the screens are close but also quite low and fairly unobtrusive, but the main point was to have them dealing with floor bounce from the speakers. I don't have a desk, just a wireless keyboard/mousepad combo.

It works really well. Things measure better with them there, and they are both convenient enough, and out of the way enough. And I have the blank screen keyboard shortcut too Smile

Gear is in a rack to the side, and everything is stereo controlled so I can do it with one hand without moving from the sweet spot.

Very happy Smile
Bob Macciochi

www.scmastering.com

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »

Been liking having the display on the floor, between my feet.  It's angled upwards.  

(For intensive editing, I can put the display on the console in front of me.  Sounds way better on the floor.)

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

dietrich

« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2010, 08:15:47 AM »

I have the monitor arm on my sterling desk which i leave as far back as i can-move it close when needed. the idea of it completely out of the field sounds interesting....though looking down might take some time to get used to

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »

dietrich wrote on Sun, 05 September 2010 08:15

I... looking down might take some time to get used to

I was surprised at how easy it was to adapt to this.  I can leave my fingers on the keypad, or mouse, and only move my eyes downard, as if looking out a low navigation window on a submarine or cigar-shaped spacecraft.   The key is that one needn't move his pinnae while listening and making changes and also that one not have a television screen blocking the path from the loudspeakers to those pinnae.  Back in ye olde days, there was always a tape machine fan in the studio.  So that type of noise doesn't interfere with hit record-making.  But having a tv block the sound from the phantom center image in the mastering room has got to be a new-fangled tweak we could do without.  Didn't happen at first cutting of D. S. O. T. M.  
As for projection displays, if it's large enough to read from the mastering position, it's too big (and flat).  Will create non-diffuse reflections.*  There's really no good place for a computer display in a studio.  I recommend we return en masse to tape recording and lacquer mastering and leave computing to the geeks.

Happy Labor Day weekend, America!
Andrew

* Please don't gainsay me this.  Unless you are able to shout me a plasma display...   (}\:

www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »

I'm ready for holographic projection, visuals that zoom up close when you need them, but acoustically transparent.

I think that's why I don't care much for plug-ins, too many fiddly micro-text parameters.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Andy Krehm

« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2010, 11:53:57 AM »

Maybe one day I'll get my tech guy to disconnect the monitor and after we get some music going, I'll close my eyes and have him to silently put it on and off the desk.

Then if I can hear a significant improvement, I'll give some thought to the flat screen on the back wall idea. Of course then there would be Serif Sound's post to consider. Is a big flat screen going to change the sound in some negative way?

Meanwhile, the monitor stays on the desk and I'll keep on working and getting masters approved!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.