R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: steve albini lecture  (Read 5017 times)

judah

steve albini lecture
« on: July 09, 2004, 02:52:03 AM »

Hi all,
I don't know if you all already know about this, but I found it yesterday and it's very VERY interesting.

Here's the link:
http://www.mtsu.edu/~nadam/downloads/Stevealbiniweb.html

It's long, take your time.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

j.hall

Re: steve albini lecture
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 09:57:55 AM »

i saw, and heard, him speak at the first Tape Op conference....

i spoke with him briefly afterwards...

i found steve to be very intelligent, strong in his beliefs, and respectful of other people's opinions.  all honorable things in my book

i just happen to not agree with him on many of his opinions.

i've heard many people refer to him as an asshole, and personally i find that an incredibly inacurrate.  just because he has opinions that he is unwillingly to back down from....that doesn't make the man an asshole.  it makes him true to himself.

judah

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 10:00:32 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 09 July 2004 15:57

i've heard many people refer to him as an asshole

I think he's very coherent (hope I got the spelling write). everytime I come to an interview or somethign written by him I take my time and enjoy it a lot. he's very sarcastic and humoristic too in a low profile way that I like. his works are among my preferred records so I very biased.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL

Dolly Parton

iluvatar

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 10:14:53 AM »

I share the same sentiments. Opinionated, humorous, but not an asshole.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

soggy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 07:34:47 PM »

Very cool, except for the outbreak of tuberculosis in the audience.

judah

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 02:50:20 AM »

soggy wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 01:34

Very cool, except for the outbreak of tuberculosis in the audience.

yeah! Laughing

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL

Dolly Parton

debuys

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 03:45:23 AM »

Thanks for posting the link. I learned a great deal. I cant say I agree with all of it, but I can tell you some of my attitudes if not changed have lightened somwhat.

I have one issue that should probably be a separate post in a different forum, but I feel it will only open the pandora's box reighning ad nauseum with idiotic science arguments that exponentially drift off point. Analog vs Digital...mr. Albini was profound here.

Already I have archives that are catastrophicly (finger quote) damaged. PCM seems to be at the least a viable archival format. Is there a medium that exists? Other than punch cards that is.
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

egg_

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 12:14:08 PM »

Didn't know what to make of his 'digital is not suitable for long-term storage' thing. I realise that if an analogue archive deteriorates somewhat it'll still be listenable, whereas a digital archive might not be ... but can't you use digital, then back it up on analog tape if you are actually worried?

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 12:16:49 PM »

the digital storage thing is a pretty interesting topic as it's truly becoming an issue

actually, it's been an issue for a while now

i guess if it's really worth saving long term, you'd have to keep uploading it, and archiving it on the newest format.

DVD-R seems like a decent platform to store to for a medium term time frame

trexrox

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 10:20:22 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 12:16

DVD-R seems like a decent platform to store to for a medium term time frame

Maybe DVD-R is a better format than DVD-RAM, let's hope it is, because I have a DVD-RAM Drive in my Mac that I have used cor back up a few times (5.2Gig, Double sided)... not only does it take FOREVER to burn one, I've had a few come back about a month or two later unreadable... It only took 2 discs with missing data for me to deem it unuseable.  I don't trust it well enough as a reliable storage medium anymore.  It's a waaste of a drivebay slot, in my opinion...  

It seems like Firewire Harddrives are the way to go at the moment... and while on the subject, let me give my endorsement for the Quantegy Firewire drives... They're great: fast, no wallwart PSU, and they come with a hard plastic carrying case that's padded with foam which is invaluable when moving a harddrive from place to place...

j.hall

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 10:31:06 AM »

this brings up a good point

i have a friend that gave me this idea.....

no one wants to buy tape anymore......every one is working in DAWs but they don't want to pay for archiving

a buddy just tells the band to buy a big drive for a few hundred.  they put the whole record on it, all the bounces everything

that's the backup, and it belongs to the band

if they break it, damage it, whatever......it's not his fault, nor is it his liability.

i like the idea

drives are stupid cheap, just buy a drive, bring it in and i'll copy everything over to it.....you walk away with everything we've done and that you've paid for.

trexrox

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 11:59:27 AM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 27 July 2004 10:31

no one wants to buy tape anymore......every one is working in DAWs but they don't want to pay for archiving.

I haven't had a problem getting the bands/artists I work with to buy tape or storage.  90% of the projects that come through here are all analog, the 10% that are on DAW, still don't seem to mind buying harddrives.  I think they prefer knowing that with all the studio time they've invested in, that there is something tangible with all of their work on it.

Harddrives run around $200 for a decent one, and by the time you've done enough studio work to fill one of these up, it's a small percentage of the overall cost...  

I recommend Quantegy drives to my clients because I trust them, they transport well (in carrying case that could also double as a shipping box), are fast and the clients feel comfortable knowing that the drive is of high quality and won't lose their data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 16 queries.