R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Elected to be recording engineer... HELP!!!  (Read 17477 times)

cgc

Re: Elected to be recording engineer... HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »

Steve

I would not make a big investment in gear until you have developed further.  The techniques for recording are pretty much the same with a cheap mic as a $5k one (although the sound is different).  

You might find that this is not really much more of a passing interest, and join the ranks of eBay and craigslist sellers who bought a ton of gear and quickly lot interest or the time to use it.  And recording gear retains value like a used car, so if you do buy take advantage of the second hand values out there.

Steve A

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »

Thanks for the response cgc,

While I am new here to recording forum, recording has been an interest of mine for more than 15 years. I have always had to put it on the back burner because of work, other commitments, etc...

Now that I have been laid off and have time on my hands I feel that it's a perfect time that if I am ever going to do something with it, then this is the time.

I agree with the thought of not going in debt for a bunch of equipment. What I have come up with as a list to get started is about $1000. That can get me in the door with what I already  have to be able to make a recording for a profit. That is  I mean, making a recording that is good enough for someone else's specs. I can record all day long using crummy equipment. That's fine cause it's just me and I understand it's for learning purposes. The minute I start recording someone else they will want or expect at least a certain level of quality. (unfortunately our praise band expects studio quality and I'm new to this) but hey... That must mean that I performed above their expectations in the past, so I take it as a compliment that they think I can give them a studio type recording...

Either way, this is all somewhat moot as I have no idea how to let anyone know that I'm available to do some recording anyway.

How does a new guy make money with his home studio? Guess you first have to tap into your pool of friends and associates to find someone who wants to record and then maybe go by word of mouth...

I know the this thread has ran the gambit of thought processes but part of that is because I am a guy who desires to take a hobby/interest in audio and try to make a living at it. Lord knows I have tried the corporate track and I have come to realize that as long as you work for someone else you will always be limited. Being your own boss and owning a business is the only true way to go. For me, that's a recent (last year or so) revelation and I'm just trying to act upon that new information. Plus, when I am thinking of new ideas I always jump around then after I have several thoughts formed then I continue to narrow it down until I have a very focused plan of action, so this thread, for me, is part of that process. I just appreciate everyones input into how to help me come to that focused plan.

Thanks again guys,

Steve

Steve A

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:12 PM »

cgc wrote on Fri, 22 May 2009 10:18

Steve

And recording gear retains value like a used car, so if you do buy take advantage of the second hand values out there.

Also, I'm not so confident in my assesment of used audio gear yet I can't really spot a good deal, Now a computer... or home theater equipment... I can spot those deals a mile away! Just comes with being around the equipment I guess... And the $1000 was priced for new equipment so if I went used for that list it might cut it down to $500...

Thanks for the idea.

compasspnt

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »

Steve, what are you considering as equipment purchases?

Steve A

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »

Well, let's see...

I will be using the Tascam 2488 NEO for the hard disk recording. That will be arriving within the next month or so.

What I was referring to for the equipment for about $1000 is:

PreSonus DigiMAX D8 - $400 at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiMaxD8/

2 dbx 266XL Compressors - $500 at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/266XL/

2 PreSonus HP4 Headphone Amps - $260 at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP4/

4 AKG K 77 Headphones - $200 at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K77/

So that comes up to $1360 so it's a little more than $1000

I didn't include mics but as I am looking for stuff on the budget side, I will probably go with 4 of these guys that were talked about in this thread..
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/26609/20208/

Located at http://www.pssl.com/Search?q=sp1&x=0&y=0&by=s

For better or worse this is what I plan on starting with. I figure this is the minimum to start with. There are more things I could use but I believe this could get me up and running.

Feel free to correct anything I have listed above.

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 03:50:01 PM »

Steve, in case you don't know about them, the tiny little Karma mini mics are actually sort-of-decent for things like toms or loud guitars, and you can get them VERY  cheap: 7 mics/clips/travel case for under $80.

http://www.seemics.com/sb7.html

Steve A

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »

WOW! Those look pretty cool. And the price is awesome!

So can I mic a drum kit with them? They say SB-7 Drum

I mean like toms, snare & hat? I assume a different mic will be needed for the bass drum...

I will let our drummer know about these...

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 09:59:27 PM »

Yes, they are for drums. Don't expect Neumann KM-84's, however...

And probably something else for bass drum.

But for $79, how can you lose?

Steve A

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 11:10:31 PM »

Ok, so add those to my list.

I'm now a little over $1400.

Ok. So I am gathering the necessary equipment...

Is there any place on line that I can go to read up on proper techniques?

hargerst

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 09:18:01 PM »

Steve A wrote on Sun, 24 May 2009 22:10

Ok, so add those to my list.

I'm now a little over $1400.

Ok. So I am gathering the necessary equipment...

Is there any place on line that I can go to read up on proper techniques?

You might look at the first sticky in this forum.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Steve A

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »

Wow Harvey,

Thanks ALOT! Lot's of information in there. I just sat and read half of it. I need to digest what I have read and then go back over it.

Sounds like there is alot of trial and error in micing. Your PDF takes alot of that trial and error out and gives me a great place to start. (which it sounds like it was designed to do...)

Thanks again.

Steve A

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 11:49:51 PM »

Looks as though contrary to what I previously believed, I will be using a Yamaha n12 for this recording process.

Just found this out yesterday. Now I have to go read the manual on this board, but it does sound like it will be more my speed.

hargerst

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 09:42:33 AM »

You're gonna do fine, Steve.  

Just watch your levels (keep them on the low side), and don't to too much eqing while you record - save that for mixing.  

(Although, watch out for low end build-up - a little bass cut on tracks during recording is usually safe.)
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Steve A

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 12:25:32 AM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Harvey!

After reading a little bit about this board, I like that it is firewire to the computer allowing a full 12 channels to be tracked at once. Add to that the fact that it is a control unit so I will be able to use it to mix within Cubase.

I am liking this alot the more that I read about it.

Can't wait to get it in and try it out...

Steve A

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »

Well, the n12 came in at the end of the week. Will be getting it installed not this week but the next and will probably start recording the week after.

I'll keep you updated on how that goes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 18 queries.