R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me choose my first mic  (Read 11057 times)

Future_One

Help me choose my first mic
« on: May 10, 2009, 09:35:32 PM »

I'm looking for a nice versatile mic.  I'll mainly be using it for recording vocals but will be recording some instruments too.  I make a variety of music styles from pop, dance, to acoustic and downbeat electronica.

After months of research I've narrowed the list down to four mics:

ADK A6
Rode NT1000
Audio-Technica AT4040
Octava MK-319 with the Michael Joly modifications

I have access to my flatmates AKG Perception 400 which is quite bright sounding so I'm thinking I should get something that has a different flavour to this.  

Thanks for your opinions!
I can't hear you.  Can you run your speech through a limiter for me?

Bill_Urick

Re: Help me choose my first mic
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:55:46 AM »

From that list, I'd go with the A6.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Future_One

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »

+1 for the A6.  Cheers Bill.

I was leaning toward the Octavamod 319 with the A6 as my second choice.  The A6 will be more versatile though...  Tough choice  Razz

Halfway Competent

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »

Future_One wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 18:35

I'm looking for a nice versatile mic.  I'll mainly be using it for recording vocals but will be recording some instruments too.  I make a variety of music styles from pop, dance, to acoustic and downbeat electronica.

After months of research I've narrowed the list down to four mics:

ADK A6
Rode NT1000
Audio-Technica AT4040
Octava MK-319 with the Michael Joly modifications

I have access to my flatmates AKG Perception 400 which is quite bright sounding so I'm thinking I should get something that has a different flavour to this.  

Thanks for your opinions!

AT-4047.  Very Happy  (I know, it's not on your list, but I love it!)

Future_One

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »

Cheers, I'll take a look at the 4047.

I'm just thinking about some different options.

I want to make great quality recordings.  I've got a nice room to record in but as far as mic pres go I've only got the preamps on my Mackie Onyx 1220 desk.  Very clean and plenty of gain but obviously not what you would call a quality mic preamp.

I'm now thinking I could stick with using my flatmates AKG Perception 400 and get a better mic pre.  I could afford to go with something like the Groove Tubes 'The Brick' or possibly a second hand Universal Audio Solo 110.

Or I could stick with my original plan and get another flavour of mic to use with the pres on the smackie desk.

Any opinions much appreciated.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »

Love the 4047 as well, but of the two (A6/4047) the A6 is the less bright. (I have a pair of each, as should you  Cool )

You could say the 4047 is a little more "hyped" and the A6 is more natural.

Edit: FWIW the 319, modded, is about twice the price of the A6.

Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Future_One

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »

That Audio-Technica AT4047 looks like it could be just the ticket.

Future_One

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 17:04

Edit: FWIW the 319, modded, is about twice the price of the A6.

I would get a used 319 from ebay and send it to Michael to be modified.  It comes in just within my price range.  Have you had any experience with the Octavamods?

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »

Is there not some law, at least in certain states, that one's first microphone has to be a 57 or 58?

Future_One

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 17:20

Is there not some law, at least in certain states, that one's first microphone has to be a 57 or 58?

Laughing

Actually that's an option I'm still considering.  If not now I'll definitely get one at some stage.

Derek DiFilippo

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »

Hi Future_One:

The AT4047 is a cool mic.  I used to own one and I have some friends who love them.  You won't go far wrong with it.

If you have a chance, maybe try shooting it out against a Shure KSM32 and see which one you prefer.  It can be easy to hate on a Shure condenser... but I've shot it out against a bunch of mics, some of them much more expensive, and it's been a solid contender.

I've tracked male and female vocals with the KSM32 and with a decent preamp and a bit of compression on the way in, it's a good sound.  They take a bit of EQ well, which is nice because the KSM32 doesn't have an intentionally built-in vocal hype EQ curve.  The other mics I've used as parts of those sessions were: Gefell UM70s, Shure SM7B, Shure KSM44, Beyer M69 (doing the Bono-style handheld thing).  Preamp was a Hardy M1.

I've had the KSM32 on snare, kick, Leslie, guitar amp, bass amp, accordion, banjo, and vocals, etc., etc.  The KSM32 is not always the first choice but it's never made me want to sell it either.  (Unlike several other mics that have come and gone.)

I don't know the A6... sounds like I should check it out myself!

Future_One

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 06:46:07 PM »

Derek DiFilippo wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 17:29

Hi Future_One:

The AT4047 is a cool mic.  I used to own one and I have some friends who love them.  You won't go far wrong with it.

If you have a chance, maybe try shooting it out against a Shure KSM32 and see which one you prefer.  It can be easy to hate on a Shure condenser... but I've shot it out against a bunch of mics, some of them much more expensive, and it's been a solid contender.

I've tracked male and female vocals with the KSM32 and with a decent preamp and a bit of compression on the way in, it's a good sound.  They take a bit of EQ well, which is nice because the KSM32 doesn't have an intentionally built-in vocal hype EQ curve.  The other mics I've used as parts of those sessions were: Gefell UM70s, Shure SM7B, Shure KSM44, Beyer M69 (doing the Bono-style handheld thing).  Preamp was a Hardy M1.

I've had the KSM32 on snare, kick, Leslie, guitar amp, bass amp, accordion, banjo, and vocals, etc., etc.  The KSM32 is not always the first choice but it's never made me want to sell it either.  (Unlike several other mics that have come and gone.)

I don't know the A6... sounds like I should check it out myself!

Thanks for that Derek. I had considered the Shure KSM32.  It seems to be a popular choice in this price range.

The AT4033-CL looks good too.  I'd like to do my own shootout but it would be very hard to to that where I live in New Zealand.

Halfway Competent

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »

Future_One wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 15:46

Thanks for that Derek. I had considered the Shure KSM32.  It seems to be a popular choice in this price range.

The AT4033-CL looks good too.  I'd like to do my own shootout but it would be very hard to to that where I live in New Zealand.

I own two 4033s...  But they are brighter than the 4047.

Listen:
http://www.tewsnet.com/dropbox/sample.mp3

Vocals = AT4047 via dbx 386 pre.  
Guitars = pair of AT4033 via Digi002 pres.

Also:
http://www.tewsnet.com/dropbox/Flaxen-Sample.mp3

Guitar = 2x 4033 thru DBX 386 pre.

If you've read my other posts, I'm probably starting to sound like a shill for A-T.  I'm really not, I just use 'em.  Smile

Future_One

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »

Halfway Competent wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 19:02

Future_One wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 15:46

I own two 4033s...  But they are brighter than the 4047.

Listen:
http://www.tewsnet.com/dropbox/sample.mp3

Vocals = AT4047 via dbx 386 pre.  
Guitars = pair of AT4033 via Digi002 pres.

Also:
http://www.tewsnet.com/dropbox/Flaxen-Sample.mp3

Guitar = 2x 4033 thru DBX 386 pre.

If you've read my other posts, I'm probably starting to sound like a shill for A-T.  I'm really not, I just use 'em.  Smile

Awesome I'll have a listen to these clips after work.  Thanks very much for your input.  Cool

compasspnt

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »

Halfway Competent wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 20:02

If you've read my other posts, I'm probably starting to sound like a shill for A-T.  I'm really not, I just use 'em.

But do not forget that he is only Halfway Competent...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.