R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isolating speaker stands, yes or no...  (Read 3410 times)

Peter Beckmann

Isolating speaker stands, yes or no...
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »

Whats the thinking on speakers on stands regarding decoupling [or not] from the floor?

In my mastering room, I have my Quested monitors on some very solid metal stands, which rest on a couple of of thick pieces of neoprene underlay type material.
I did this just out of intuition really, but I'm not sure why.
I'm about to fill the stands with sand, and it will be pretty difficult to move them after that, so I was contemplating whether I need them at all, or if I should get some even thicker rubber bases, like HVAC isolation type pads. Maybe I should get some heavy marble or concrete plinths underneath instead

What do you think?

Peter

Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

Constantin

Re: Isolating speaker stands, yes or no...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »

Decoupling is not a intuitiv thing. You have to look carefully at what you do, and you need to do the math.

Since decoupling creates a spring you have a resonat frequnecy where it`s amplify these frequency.
You need to calculate this frequency as low as possibile to a area where it don`t hurt your speakers freq response (maybee under 10hz).

i think it`s best to make the stand as heavy as possible.
Decoupling is good when it is calculated right. When you are not able to do it right, better go only with couple the speaker to a big mass.

But lets wait for the pros  Razz  
Im just started to read a littlebit about this, and maybee i don`t get it until now Very Happy

cheers
Constantin

J.F.Oros

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »

If you are using rubber for decoupling your monitors from the floor (which has benefits both on the soundproofing of your room and on the playback quality of the speakers), you should provide a deflection of at least 3mm under full load (preferable 4-5mm) in order to get a decoupling frequency low enough for all the audio spectrum of the monitors.

For physical stability and endurance of the rubber material, this deflection should represent about 10-15% of his total thickness, so that makes a desirable rubber thickness of at least 2cm.
[ Flaviu Oros - acoustics engineer ]
[ JF Studio Design - Romania ]

franman

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:26:30 AM »

I would go as far as to suggest a min of 7mm defection on the rubberized isolators... another way to think about, is hard connection of the massive rigid stand to the floor and decoupling at the connection on the monitor and stand. This is the way we typically do it with four custom sized Sorbothane pads... great stuff.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

franman

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:27:14 AM »

and yes.. you have to do the math to determine size of isolators (based on weight of system to be isolated), delfection and Fn... otherwise, it's all a bit of a waste.
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »

franman wrote on Sat, 09 May 2009 06:26

... another way to think about, is hard connection of the massive rigid stand to the floor and decoupling at the connection on the monitor and stand. This is the way we typically do it with four custom sized Sorbothane pads... great stuff.

Thanks Francis.
In other words you're saying allow the base of the stand to rest hard on the floor, and decouple the monitor from the stand?
Is that the idea with all those 'recoil' and 'stabilizer' type products?

Peter
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

franman

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 10:39:47 PM »

Peter,

I haven't examined the 'recoil' product personally, but it's a monitor 'shelf' for meter bridge use as I understand it... sometype of generic isolation from the chassis of the console.. can't be a bad thing, but certainly can be better is proper isolation is calculated based on the weight of the speaker to be isolated...If the console is the speakers stand, in this case, then yes... (I think).. Cool
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.