R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP21 discussion  (Read 18153 times)

j.hall

Re: IMP21 discussion
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »

no strip silence here.  apptriga has filters built in on the input side.  i just filter the source accordingly.

once it's set right (which i have presets saved now) it rarely misses.

placing by hand only takes you longer, and yields you the same result.  i can move the samples to phase accurate rather quickly.

problem with phase accurate is that softer snare hits have a different attack and sustain then harder ones.  with apptriga i get the dynamic tracking, but ultimately, you have to choose how close to make it phase-wise.

i replace the kick because keeping the original doesn't do me much good.  if i didn't like the kick enough to replace it, i don't want any of it in the mix.  snare is different as there is a lot of expression and feel in what's played.  if you hate the snare, you kinda have to keep it anyway.

Adam Miller

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »

Can I just give a big up to TL Drum Rehab here? After the first few of times using it, I stopped bothering to check the phase of each sample because it was always bang in. The user interface is a bit crap, but the results are great and a huge timesaver. The detection algorithm is also excellent and has managed to extract tom hits from all manner of horrible cymbal wash and spill on more than one occasion for me...

grantis

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »

Quote:

and the snare "boingy"

Hahaha....can you define boingy for me?  Too dark? too bright?
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Gio

« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »

grantis wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 12:51

Quote:

and the snare "boingy"

Hahaha....can you define boingy for me?  Too dark? too bright?

No,no...... more like ringing, like the basketball thing.  Cool
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

grantis

« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2009, 11:13:11 PM »

Ohhh, ok thanks.  Yeah, I wanted it to smack through the mix but couldn't seem to do it without a bit of ring.  If I did away with the ring, would that fix it IYO?

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

Gio

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »

grantis wrote on Mon, 25 May 2009 23:13

Ohhh, ok thanks.  Yeah, I wanted it to smack through the mix but couldn't seem to do it without a bit of ring.  If I did away with the ring, would that fix it IYO?

It would help it, for sure. I'm trying to figure out where it came from. I didn't notice it much when i mixed the tune. Curious what you used on the snare that brought it out?
( I know it's been a while now.........)
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

grantis

« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »

I comp'd a snare sample pretty hard and blended it with an uncomp'd sample.  It definitely wasn't there in the original tracks...you didn't miss anything Wink.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

NelsonL

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2009, 03:09:49 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 22 May 2009 07:56

no strip silence here.  apptriga has filters built in on the input side.  i just filter the source accordingly.

once it's set right (which i have presets saved now) it rarely misses.

placing by hand only takes you longer, and yields you the same result.  i can move the samples to phase accurate rather quickly.

problem with phase accurate is that softer snare hits have a different attack and sustain then harder ones.  with apptriga i get the dynamic tracking, but ultimately, you have to choose how close to make it phase-wise.

i replace the kick because keeping the original doesn't do me much good.  if i didn't like the kick enough to replace it, i don't want any of it in the mix.  snare is different as there is a lot of expression and feel in what's played.  if you hate the snare, you kinda have to keep it anyway.

OT from IMP, but I'm starting to get interested in Massey DTM as an alternative to apptriga, which I already like:

http://blog.kalmusky.com/?p=90

Would be cool to trigger the Reason Drums Refill, which I've already been printing kicks and snares from, somewhat laboriously.

Music_Junky

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »

Hi all. My name is D

j.hall

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »

welcome!!

i love the music that comes from your country.  mainly Bjork, Sigur Ros and Mum.  i have had much time to explore much more.

anyway.  with my current work load it's difficult for me to predict when another IMP will take place.

i hope soon.

just keep an eye on the forum.  generally i post a topic something like "looking for another IMP song".  once i find one i like, we start it up.

Music_Junky

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I look forward for the next IMP. I am having fun mixing nr 21 now.

Good to know you are busy at work!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.