R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP21 discussion  (Read 18153 times)

j.hall

Re: IMP21 discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Sat, 09 May 2009 14:40

Is the mp3 expected to be 44.1 or 48 kHz?

/patrik

256kb/s

j.hall

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »

i didn't use the bass DI on my mix either.

i wouldn't call these tracks, "pre-mixed" by a long shot.  in fact, that's pretty rare to ever get.

these are solid tracks that only help make the mix better.  they still need "mixing"

rankus

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »

So, deadline is Wed night at midnight?  

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Podgorny

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 11:45

i wouldn't call these tracks, "pre-mixed" by a long shot.  in fact, that's pretty rare to ever get.

EXACTLY.

Listen to the multitracks from Queen's "Killer Queen".  THOSE are amazing.  In the case of these tracks, I did my best to make things sound good on their way in.  But it still needs a good bit of massaging if you're going to achieve any kind of bigness.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

j.hall

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 05:42:46 PM »

rankus wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 14:54

yessem!

rankus

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 14:42

rankus wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 14:54

yessem!

Phew  Smile !

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

drumsound85

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:16 PM »

which microphone was used in the  bottom snare?

imdrecordings

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:56 AM »

wOOPS!
Just downloaded the tracks, I had no idea this was up.
Song sounds great!
Looking forward to participating. Smile
Just celebrated my birthday on Friday and this is a fun little present!
Good times..
 Thanks Kyle and J.
-Scott S

Eric H.

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 03:27:02 AM »

Wow, once again, those tracks are really good.
After some hours of good fun 'massaging', i think i was able to get my mix to somewhere i've never been yet.
Usually, i spent all my ressources on trying to make up for very raw or bad tracking.
Those tracks are already flawless so it all went to making the mix right.

Thanks for this one!
eric harizanos

DCombs

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »

it's been a long time since i've been on. my bro turned me on to this song, and i love pretty much everything about it.

can i ask about OH chain?

and also, was it recorded at 48? (reasoning?)
I'm a certified pants technician.

j.hall

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 04:11:36 PM »

rankus and DCombs, did you miss the extra two guitar tracks that fill in those drum breaks? and the second verse?

curious if you guys missed them, or if you both just chose cut them out.

FYI, if i had more time i would have replaced the kick and blended a snare sample.

the snare needed a sample to give it that extra bit of crack to open it up over the guitars.

the kick is ok, but a solid sample with no dynamics would have really rounded out the drums.

so my mix has no samples (imagine that) and no edits.  i just mixed the tracks that were there..........quickly.

rankus

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »

Ya, I did notice the guitar tracks you mention, there's one of them buried in a few spots. But yes, chose to not use them.  They were a bit too dirty for my tastes.  I would have liked to have more time to work on that breakdown and come up with an interesting effect etc. but had no time.

Don't even have time to listen to mixes until tomorrow (hopefully).

In fact I did not even have time do anything to the BG vocals except ride the faders... Really just quick and dirty eq and comps.. a stack of comps, eq's, and de-essers on the lead vox and out the door.

Oops. And a snare sample blended. Other than that no samples used.

Boedo Constrictor

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »

Wrong thread, sorry.

Chris Ilett

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »

Here's some for now.

J Hall. Clarity is awesome, and good balance. Little bright, but makes mine sound a bit dull, so lesson learned. Like the vocal in the breakdown. Also think your snare is nice and snappy. Toms are ace.

Podgorny - great feeling of space in this, and backing vocals are sounding really good to me, if not a bit Mutt Lange. Again - balance and clarity are great.

Rankus - I was really keen on the guitars you missed out, but I don't think it ruins the song. Not sure it sounds at full without though. A good mix though, a bit more gritty and AC/DC because of that. The kick in after the breakdown is pretty effective. Nice toms. The very end felt a little messy for me.

Thats my lot for now.

Podgorny

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »

RANKUS
Mix is pretty good.  I can pick out most everything, except for the guitars you chose to omit.
I know you're mixing this for you, but usually, if you get tracks to mix, the arrangement has already been finalized.  In this case, there wasn't really much wiggle room.  Maybe losing the backwards stuff?

I could've gone for a little more snap on the drums, and maybe a little less non-linear reverb or whatever that is.

DCOMBS
Low end is generally a little cloudy.
Same note about the omission of guitar parts.
Vocal sounds small.  This vocal was BEGGING for limiting.
Vocal treatment in bridge section is interesting.

GRANT
Kick sample much?  Haha - like my mix isn't pretty much all sample.
This sounds pretty good.  Drums have lots of attack.  I'm glad you separated the two guitar parts.  Low end isn't very large, but it is clear.  What is to me, the climax of the song (end of bridge) kind of misses the mark.  But overall it's pretty aggressive. I like it.

YLAB
What's with the intro?
And the stereo widening?  Sounds like the toms were on opposite sides of the room.
Overall, it's not bad... But then, it sounds you spent more time playing with flanges and the stereo-field than nailing compression.

ERICH
Guitars are very midrangey.  Bottom octave is a little anemic.  The big vocal reverbs kind of hide things here.  Go for more in your face.  There's not much room for depth of field here.  It's all about punch.
And that high female BGV in the bridge...  NOT a big fan.  I liked the part, but never thought it sounded great.  It's more of a texture thing.
And I'm sorry for the bazillion vocals at the end.  Sounds like you just gave up.  When faced with such a situation, try using distortion or filtering to create different harmonic textures for each of the parts to help separate them. Then, ride parts up and down, so that while each part is still playing, only one part catches the ear at a time.  It fools the listener into thinking all of them are being heard clearly.  

NIZZLE
Snare reverb seems narrower than the cymbals.  Gives kind of a weird perspective - Like the room is smaller than the drum kit.  Backwards guitars are awfully loud.  Think texture, not "part".
Balance of low to high is pretty solid.
Beginning of bridge needs to be MUCH smaller if there's going to be any impact when the bass and kick come in.
Overall not bad.

BEODOCONSTRICTOR
Very dark.  I'm assuming your monitors (headphones?) are pretty bright.  Wouldn't hurt to reference some big-name mixes in a similar genre as you go along (Paramore, The Starting Line, Fallout Boy, etc.)  Sounds like there's some L-R wackiness on the drums.  Like you panned spot mics audience perspective, but didn't swap the room mics. I could be wrong though.

FIASCO
Vocal kind of sits on top of the track.  Doesn't sound like you did a whole lot of "massaging".
I like what you did with the drum breakdown before the bridge.  BGVs at the end kind of fall apart.
Killer fade out.

CILETT
There's always one.
The session was tracked at 24/48.  Check that stuff before you import files.
And then, get rid of the countoff.  This isn't garagerock.

H20
Countoff.  Guys, the first thing I do once I get my files into a project is go through and clean up noises, talking, etc.  I guess because the rest of the tracks were already cleaned you assumed that the countoff was supposed to stay?  I dunno.
Drums sound like they're in some sort of can.  All the width is gone.  Don't be afraid to pan stuff wide.  It's rare for me to pan major tracks anywhere but hard left/right or center.
What's with the bass?  Why does it sound about 20cents flat the whole way through?

GIO
Not bad.  Spend more time making stuff sound good and less time editing out snare hits.

ICOMBS
Toms sound good. HAHAHA- Flangerdrums.
Vocal is a bit loud.  If it were tucked down a little more it might work better.
I like the delay on the Chorus BGVs.  2nd Verse BGV "moment" is a little loud.
Mix lacks some open-ness, but the low end is pretty good.
You had fun with the flanger, didn't you?

GRAHAM
Vocal seems to bounce between loud and really loud.
Guitars are kind of buried,  Actually everything is kind of buried.  I guess you liked the drum rooms?

JHALL
As usual, your stuff sounds good.  I agree with you about the kick sample.  Toms seem kind of odd- in their own little world.  Not sure why.  Guitars sound great - love when they come in on the bridge.  Overall, I could still go for some more aggression.  BGVs need some clarity.

PODGORNY
Well, I didn't mix this.  An engineer far better than me did.
I could've gone for a little less kick and more bass, but overall, IMHO, this is what the song needed.
Kick and snare samples.  Lots of limiting on the vocals.  Various kinds of distortion.

Final thoughts:
It seems to me that a bunch of you spent more time playing with effects, than improving your mix.
DON'T BE AFRAID TO CALL A SPADE A SPADE.  These tracks were decent - but they're by no means perfect.  Identify what sucks and deal with it.  If you're just going to push up the faders and add some reverb, you may as well not bother.  The object here is to BEAT the tracking engineer's rough mixes, not match them. Ya know?

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 16 queries.