R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DAW for live / acoustic recording  (Read 12878 times)

James Perrett

Re: DAW for live / acoustic recording
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 08:17:56 AM »

If you are lucky enough to have an RME interface then download their DigiCheck analysis tools. DigiCheck now includes a basic multitrack recorder.

For my live rig I use Reaper with a Focusrite Saffire Pro26 on an Acer laptop but I also run an ADAT or two for backup.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Tom D

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »

I'd have to agree with Jim Williams, the  HD24. Especially if you have killer pres/mixer. They're my first choice for multi-track recording,  I use them ALL the time.  There are a lot of hard disc "flash" style  recorders out there for 2 track recording, and depending on the model some have XLR in's, and most will record at least 16 bit.

Tom Durso
First Bass Audio
Macomb, IL

Hallams

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »

Not a problem here using Logic and a laptop for 16 ch for the last seven years. The limited session time of Logic was an irritation but is now fixed. That said it is always preferable to have a backup recording medium from splits. If i'm doing a "cheap option" live recording from the FOH mix inserts i don't bother with the backup, but with the well paid full price option i think its a must. So my set up is the HD 24 and Logic. Most of the time i treat the laptop as the master and the HD 24 as the backup.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

bjornson

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »

I use two mx2424's with an active split and two sets of converters.
Both are recording at all times.

WD Smith

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »

Are you sure want to move to a PC system?  

How about a:
Yamaha AW4416.

Up to 16 tracks @44.1/16.  It has native Yamaha pre's for 8 tracks as delivered but you will need to have extra Yagi cards to bring in outboard pre's via AES, ADAT, or Tascam protocols for the other 8 of the tracks.  Later variant the 2400 has USB outs to transfer tracks directly to your computer for editing and massaging but the 4416 offers a lot that the 2400 doesn't.  The 4416 has a steep learning curve so Yammie dumbed it down a little in the 2400.  

To transfer your tracks to computer in the 4416 you burn them to a CD in a proprietary Yammie format as a Backup.  You then insert the CD into your computer and use some shareware called AWExtract to convert the Backup files to .WAV.  If you don't need extensive PT type manipulation, the 4416 is capable of extensive mixing and routing even with outboard efx.  The 4416 has it's own stereo recording buss and you can mixdown and burn your own CD.

The only oversight to me w/ the 4416 is that Yamaha only provided 2 XLR in's to the native preamps thereby limiting you to only 2 channels with 48v phantom power available.  The remaining 6 are 1/4" in's which can be converted to XLR's but no phantom will be available.  If you use an 8 channel outboard pre such as an ADA8000 or Digimax or best of all the Audient ASP008 no problem as you will have 8 channels available with phantom.

You can bring the AW, mics, and stands to a remote location and be set up and stable in minutes.  Best of all you can buy a clean AW4416 or it's smaller lighter cousin the AW16 or AW1600 for $400-800.  Outboard Yagi cards run about $150 each.

Otherwise, if you want to spend more money, an HD24XR is a nice way to go.

Food for thought.
WD Smith

Stephen Payne

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »

I have a Macbook running either Logic Express or Tracktion 2. I use T2 on small track count jobs, then mix on my PC based desktop or a Imac . Interfaces are Presonus Firestudio + Digimax for up to 16 tracks or Audiofire 2. Never a problem in 2+ years. Ideally you should run a redundant recorder off a split but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
Steve
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.