R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stem Mastering  (Read 5347 times)

aivoryuk

Stem Mastering
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »

Just wondering what other peoples approaches to Stem mastering are?

Do you still treat the stems as 2track and do your thing as normal and if things are not sounding quite right then have a listen to the stems and alter things there.

Or

Start with the stems and adjust and then listen at the overall 2 track and adjust as appropriate.

Maybe a mixture of the 2 or maybe something else?

Viitalahde

Re: Stem Mastering
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »

I encourage people to bring in complete mixdowns as well. If there's an issue with vocal levels, I'll address it where needed.

Recently i did an ultimate stem project. An EP done in 2001 or so, never released. There was a faders-only rough mixdown of guitar, bass & drums (no compression, no EQ, no anything) done for vocal tracking, the vocal tracks, a separate percussion track and a trombone track. Nothing was in balance.

The only way I could do it was to do a mixdown with the band member present. Together we checked the balances and I did some very rough EQ & multi-band oppression for the guitar/bass/drums mixdown.

From there I bounced the mixes and began my job. I just could not have done it if I had the tracks open, everything tweakable.

Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

Greg Reierson

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:45:39 AM »

The only time I ask for stems is when the vocal is sibilant and the mix engineer can't fix it with his/her tools. Otherwise a final mix that everyone it happy with is usually best.

GR

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

I always start with 2-track but I've asked for stems a few times * one where the bass guitar was really muddy and indistinct and where the kick needed to be sorted out of the mud as well - in this case I got a separate stem for the bass and then one for all the rest of instruments - and the client was much happier with the results
* a few times with hip-hop stuff where album, radio (i.e. "clean"), tv track, instrumental and acapella versions needed to be created - in which case you need separate stem for lead vocals, backup vocals, and instruments
* one album where the client wasn't comfortable with their own mixing skills and they brought in their entire mix to me - we ended up doing a bit of compression and de-essing to the vox, and cut high end off a lot of percussive elements like shakers.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

aivoryuk

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »

I actually didn't ask for stems this is just what the client sent me. It's just a one off at the mo but could lead to more.

I got the impression he wasn't sure how the low end was going to translate.

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:32:47 AM »

I look at stems like a "mini mix"

I  always prefer to work from a 2 channel mix, but there are instances where stems are delivered. Most of the time I think it's from the clients not being to confident in their mix.  

I definitely charge differently for this because it's a two stage process for me.  Get the "mini mix approved",   get the "master approved"  If I can avoid stems I do.  Often times I'm able to give the mix a lot more clarity and punch from stems but I also get headaches a lot easier from working with stems.

Rarely have I been able to pull stems into a session, set  unity gain and been able to master from that session.

cerberus

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »

i've done a few jobs with stems lately...it generally comes about when a client isn't
entirely satisfied with their mix.  in those cases, it's easier for me to finish their
mix as they wish it to sound, rather  than undo major mistakes. i do not
charge double, because the point is to make my work easier.

jeff dinces

jdg

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »

i personally hate stems.

but if someone insists (they really have to insist, with great vigor) i just load them up, run them at unity and master from the buss mix. and only adjust level with the stem, not EQ.  

thats me... and i hate mastering from stems.

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Greg Youngman

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »

How is it that you are delivered stems?  I can understand that if you are having problems with ie., the drums, it would be nice if you had stems to go back to, but if something's that bad, why not just go back and remix it?  Maybe someone can enlighten me, but unless your doing post for a film why would you mix stems?  Seems like more work for the ME to me.
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 05:40:27 PM »

I don't think it's so much the ME requesting stems as it is the client on a rare occasion wanting to provide them.  It could be that they are not 100% happy with the mix and reached the end  of the line on their end and just want to hand it off in more a salvageable fashion.

The less I  have  to deal with stems the better.

Garrett H

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »

I second Greg's comment.  I try to avoid stems because I want to use mixes that people have vetted and are pleased with.  However, sometimes having a stem will yield a much better job than trying to adjust one component via a single two track mix.  Sibilance is a great example of that kind of situation.  

Best,
Garrett
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

mcsnare

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »

I don't usually endorse the whole stem concept but recently I had a client where the stem thing really worked well. He is a regular client and a very good mixer that usually supplies stereo mixes. On this particular project, out of necessity, he had mixed in an unfamiliar environment. I think it was an engineer friend's apartment. After talking with me early in the process, he decided to break out the mixes as stereo track, bass, and stereo vocals with effects, plus the actual complete stereo mix all lined up in a ProTools session. He was unsure of the low end and it worked perfectly for us. On about half of them I used the stereo mix. The other half it was easy to contour the lows on the kick (from the track stem) and the bass separately. On a few I eq'd the vocal without changing the ambiance by using the Massey M/S matrix plugins and inserting eq/comp/d'esser inbetween the encode and decode. Some songs only the bass/kick stuff was changed, some songs only the vocal tweaked, some both. Half the band was present for this and they had no problem signing off on the changes right then and there. It took a little bit longer than a typical session, but everybody was really happy with the results.

Dave

Ed Littman

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »

Greg Youngman wrote on Mon, 06 April 2009 14:25

why not just go back and remix it?  Maybe someone can enlighten me

For some clients & their environments/mix chops this cannot address the problems.

Ed

Matt_G

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »

I'm usually requesting instrumental & vocal only stems where possible these days... here are some of my reasoning for doing so.

Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

Greg Youngman

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »

A bit off topic.

I remember having a conversation with Bob Stone (God rest his soul) about releasing a Zappa album of stems, whereby the listener would have control of the mix with 8 tracks.  The choice of delivery format was the issue... so that's as far as we got.  It is an interesting concept of allowing the listener to get more involved with the process.

Ben Folds takes it a bit further with "Stems And Seeds".  

http://www.benfolds.com/news/stems-and-seeds-remix-challenge

Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.