R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: iZotope RX  (Read 14292 times)

maarvold

iZotope RX
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »

It's not cheap, and it can't fully perform miracles, but this program, which can also be used as a plug-in, is pretty amazing.  I originally bought it for the 64 bit sample rate conversion--which is very good when you spend the time to really tweak the parameters and understand the sonic consequences of your tweaking.  But it has much more:

A De-Clicker which is fast, easy and usually quite effective with minimal fussing;

A De-Clipper which is AMAZING.  It saved the last chord of a piano track I received from a very famous jazz pianist from being unusable, and fixed it perfectly in around 20 seconds.  

A De-Noiser--haven't used it yet

A Hum Removal Tool--haven't used it yet, but I'll bet it's great--and--

A Spectral Repair Tool which is pretty darn amazing at removing (or minimizing) anything unwanted and ugly that sneaks into your recorded tracks--without sonic damage if used carefully.  If you had the patience, this would probably be a Godsend for use on a classical guitarist with a lot of string squeaks.  I nearly completely removed a really ugly, accidental bad bowing in a string quartet, taking it from making the track almost unusable to having it barely raise an eyebrow as it goes past.  This is one powerful toolbox.  And it also does batch conversion--great for sample rate-converting a bunch of files quickly and easily.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

ssltech

Re: iZotope RX
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:24:23 AM »

I too recently used it to spot-treat a few minor issues with a string quartet recording recently.

The 'spectral repair' -together with some judicious decisions- made a couple of 'sniffs' (which the second violinist involuntarily seemed to do at a couple of silent downbeats) utterly DISAPPEAR, while leaving the music utterly unharmed!

In addition, at the end of one piece in the suite which I was recording, all four musicians were required to "fade" down to silence. The viola bow 'choked' ever so slightly just before they all ended, resulting in a slight 'hole' in the viola note. -I was able to highlight and repair the 'hole' and it even took into account the slight fading which was going on.

It truly is remarkable. -Utterly stunning.

Now if they'd make a version which worked on 4-channel (B-format) file groups without having to perform the actions twice over, I'd be over the moon! -But even so, it truly is revolutionary.

I have recommended it to a fingerstyle/flatpicking guitarist friend of mine, and -to show him how truly stunning the results are- I've asked him to send me a file which bothers him. -I've promised that it can work miracles!

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

ryan streber

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:41:55 AM »

I use the RX De-noiser plugin in protools all the time for dealing with classical recordings in noisy rooms, and for the price nothing even comes close to it that I've tried.  I actually haven't used the spectral repair component much at all, but I'm a big fan of the broadband noise reduction.  Considering that it cost $350 for the basic version, it's far, far cheaper than most of the other options that I know of.  I still feel like I owe iZotope some money and they haven't figured it out yet!

tom eaton

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:16:09 AM »

Spectral repair is amazing.  I've gotten rid of all manner of thunks, clicks, and undesirables.  An unbelievably inexpensive tool for the quality of work it delivers.  

If you take your time and listen to the various options available it can really work miracles with NO evidence left behind.

The last (noise and harmonics) tool in the spectral toolbox is simply mind blowing.  I frequently use one tool to get rid of the offender and then repair the slight hole that's left in the upper frequencies with the harmonic tool... it continues to amaze me.

It is the best tool I've ever seen for mouth clicks, piano pedal noises, coughs, chair creaks, etc.

Two gripes:

it would be nice to be able to set a default file type to save to.  I want 24 bit AIF files 99.9% of the time, and it's a bunch of clicks to make that happen... many, many times a day in some cases. (and no, batching won't work because I'm dropping each edited file snippet into the multitrack as I finish working on it)

and

I can't for the life of me understand why the program forces all my interfaces to reclock (sometimes violently and loudly) to 44.1.   I wish it would wait for me to load a file before deciding what sample rate it was going to work at.

t

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »

What does it cost?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

ssltech

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »

About three hundred of your earth dollars, last time I checked.

I bought mine in 2007 when they had a special at $199... it was almost like stealing!

Seriously, this is in-dis-pen's-a-bull.

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Rod Affleck

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:57:25 PM »

I've been eyeing this for a while now. Are the extra features in the Advanced version "must-haves"? It's a pretty big jump in price ($350 vs $1200), and if the advanced is truly worth it then I guess I'll just have to eye it that much longer. If the basic version is great as-is, then I'll likely pull the trigger in the next few months.

I'd mostly be using it to clean up live choral recordings. I'm not expecting miracles, but something that could eliminate the occasional artifact and get rid of the damn furnace hum would be fantastic.
Rod Affleck

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:02:10 PM »

I've been using Waves Restoration for a number of years.  The NR is excellent.  The De-clicker and de-popper are not that great.  It doesn't have the other things RX has.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

tom eaton

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »

I use the basic version AND expect miracles.

t

ryan streber

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »

The basic version has been wonderful for me for general NR.  When I originally demoed the software, I did so with the advanced version.  I haven't missed that yet since buying the software a year ago.
As for Waves, I haven't used it in a long time, but RX is WAYYY more natural sounding than I remember waves being. (Although Waves may have a newer version since I last heard it.) I also used the old Sony Restoration bundle for a few years, and the RX stuff is much better than that as well. The only exception there is that the Sony stuff had a great hum removal plug which was better than any other I've used including the RX.  
But still, iZotope could be charging 3X for the basic version and it would be well worth it in my opinion.

Gabriel F

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 12:54:14 AM »

This software is great. I am doing lots of restoration works and it is making my life way easier.

The only downside is that the offline algorithm in the noise reduction plug in takes a lot of time to bounce.

Gabriel Fonts.

minister

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »

ryan streber wrote on Mon, 06 April 2009 20:15

The only exception there is that the Sony stuff had a great hum removal plug which was better than any other I've used including the RX.

This my experience as well...I still hang on to the Sony for that very deBuzz thing it does.  Reason is that it is dynamic rather than static.

Other than that the SONY Rest. bundle SUCT!!!!

Also, for good hum & buzz removal, I use the unfortunately named Uniquelizer as you can stack multiple harmonic cuts into one window, as well as full on Notches.

Waves....really not all that great....it never made my socks roll up and down.

RX is definitely worth the price of admission!  The declipper is jaw dropping, when it works.  I threw something at it that it couldn't even touch.  But on many things, it works wonders.  The Spectral Repair is also a big help.  The BB NR function is good, but not always the best.  But I like it better than WAVES.

I still hang on to Sonic NoNoise as it is, on some things, the best tool in the arsenal.

Good to have lots of tools.

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

ssltech

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »

evil robot wrote

Are the extra features in the Advanced version "must-haves"? It's a pretty big jump in price ($350 vs $1200)

I have been led to believe that the differences are mainly concerned with automatic 'offline' noise reduction, it being done to a higher standard or sim'lar.

...Since I don't use it for that, I'm not at all concerned. For me the 'spectral repair' tool (rather like "Retouch") is the "magic golden bullet", and I've not been made aware of any improvement in that aspect with the advanced version.

If I were a full-time mastering house. I'd have the advanced version, because you never know what the next client might want, and highest quality would of course be the name of the game.

Keith

Rader Ranch

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »

I've been using the $350 version (post work) for the last few weeks. Most definitely prefer it to the Waves choices.
scott...

cerberus

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »

fantomas wrote on Fri, 10 April 2009 00:54

The only downside is that the offline algorithm in the noise reduction plug in takes a lot of time to bounce.

i am a beta tester for this product. in my best estimate,
izotope may have addressed this complaint... and
so it will not be an issue for much longer.  

jeff dinces
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.