R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering in OSX?  (Read 23790 times)

Glenn Bucci

Re: Mastering in OSX?
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »

I did not read all the post but Wavelab 7 is coming out and it will be available for the Mac. Perhaps that will be able to meet your needs Brad.

I want to remind you though that Sequoia 11 will be out in the next month with even more features than ever.  

Sequoia 11 includes but not limited to by a long shot;
Multisynchronous cut (MuSyC) – After analyzing the audio material, all takes of the same content will be displayed one below the other and may be compared to each other without manual sliding with the cursor. A purely optical timestretching takes place, resulting in a synchronous representation on the waveforms.

AAF/OMF – Through AAF/OMF support, projects may be switched between various workstations (e.g. between image editing and audio postproduction) without any detours with additional software.

Video export – After dubbing a video, it is possible to export the finished audio mix complete with the video signal. This eliminates additional steps in video editing software.

Advanced user administration – Administrators may import and export program and system settings from Sequoia. This makes maintaining several systems within one network much easier and faster.

bblackwood

« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »

Glenn Bucci wrote on Fri, 05 June 2009 12:20

I did not read all the post but Wavelab 7 is coming out and it will be available for the Mac. Perhaps that will be able to meet your needs Brad.

Yah, keeping an eye out for that one - if it's as stable and feature-rich as it's XP counterpart, I'll bet it takes over the OSX market in short time.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ggidluck

« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »

Also, I just learned that they now have Reaper on OSX. I thought it was a windows only app. Very flexible routing, support for VST plugins (and AU plugins on OSX). Maybe something to look at. But no DDP export.

http://reaper.fm/
Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

Brad Sarno

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:29 AM »

I'm quite happy with my latest OSX setup, and this is how I make my living.

Digital Performer 6 for the primary process, including all automation, stem work, plug-ins, routing out thru analog gear and recording back in (still not peak limited).

SoundBlade for final assembly, sequencing, EQ tweaking/balancing, final peak limiting, and CD-R/DDP delivery.

Peak Pro for occasional surgery or stereo file editing/manipulation.

AudioFile Engineering Sample Editor for format conversion

Apple's Waveburner as a backup alternative for quick CD-R generation

And for fun, there's Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, and ProTools.

(then of course, converters, analog EQ, compression, etc.)

DP6 is an absolute rock solid monster. I've been in it for years, and just know and love it. SoundBlade is finally getting pretty stable and the "desk events" are now working with version 1.3.4 (June 09).  I love having my "mastered" song files still not yet peak limited. This allows me to tweak the files in the final SoundBlade environment with the final peak limiting and dithering there at the the final delivery stage. I haven't made the switch to using SB for analog out/in because I find there to be so much more I can do in a full blown DAW like DP6.

Brad Sarno
St. Louis, MO

www.bluejadeaudio.com

Brad Sarno
Blue Jade Audio Mastering
St. Louis, MO

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

cerberus

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »

Brad Sarno wrote on Sat, 06 June 2009 10:17

This allows me to tweak the files in the final SoundBlade environment with the final peak limiting and dithering there at the the final delivery stage.

afaik, that could be done with most of the software you have mentioned, (pretty  
much everything available for osx). so what is the reason to use soundblade?

jeff dinces

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »

I've had sB 1.3.4 up for over a week now, its crashed only once.

bab

tom eaton

« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2009, 11:51:47 PM »

That's good, right?  I've been using Nuendo 3 for assembly for at least the past three years (then Jam for the actual cd print).  Neither Nuendo or Jam has crashed since I started using them.

My daily multitrack work is in DP (still 5.12) and that crashes maybe once or twice a year.  

Nuendo even has the rotating EDL save files like Sonic Classic did.  And the same fade editor (with a few more features). I have never seen a program bounce files with fades or processing faster than Nuendo does. So many great mastering features are integrated (gain handle at top center of every soundfile, fades rendered in ram can be applied/adjusted while file is playing without blinking, realtime updating of waveform display for gain change and fades, etc.). Heck, you can play a file, adjust the fade out, bounce the file to disk with the fade, and replace the file in the edl all without losing a sample of playback. If only it could deliver files to cd!

tom

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2009, 12:46:45 AM »

tom eaton wrote on Mon, 08 June 2009 21:51

That's good, right?  I've been using Nuendo 3 for assembly for at least the past three years (then Jam for the actual cd print).  Neither Nuendo or Jam has crashed since I started using them.

My daily multitrack work is in DP (still 5.12) and that crashes maybe once or twice a year.  

Nuendo even has the rotating EDL save files like Sonic Classic did.  And the same fade editor (with a few more features). I have never seen a program bounce files with fades or processing faster than Nuendo does. So many great mastering features are integrated (gain handle at top center of every soundfile, fades rendered in ram can be applied/adjusted while file is playing without blinking, realtime updating of waveform display for gain change and fades, etc.). Heck, you can play a file, adjust the fade out, bounce the file to disk with the fade, and replace the file in the edl all without losing a sample of playback. If only it could deliver files to cd!

tom

Yes it is good, even 1.3.3 was crashing up to 5 times a day, though I didn't talk about it much. Intel Macs seem to be worse on sB than PPC. My G5 Imac was running pretty good with 1.1.5 but the screen died and I had to get the Intel.

It was never a really huge inconvenience, more of an annoyance. I'm really optimistic at this point. FWIW, Sonic Support were always there for me when I was freaking out!

masterhse wrote on Fri, 05 June 2009 04:56

Question for SBers. I know that it's recommended that you delete prefs after installong a new version, but do you also delete the old version of the software as a rule?

Tom, I always delete prefs but have kept at least one old version on hand in my Applications folder. I've tried Repair Disc Permissions too on new installs, but, see above, didn't seem to alleviate any crashing.

As I said, 1.3.4 running prettay, prettay smoove.

bab  

soundroid

« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2009, 01:17:28 AM »

Quote:

Yes it is good, even 1.3.3 was crashing up to 5 times a day, though I didn't talk about it much. Intel Macs seem to be worse on sB than PPC. My G5 Imac was running pretty good with 1.1.5 but the screen died and I had to get the Intel.

5 times a day! that really sounds a lot for 1.3.3.  I was perhaps experiencing that
with the very earliest versions of sb. Perhaps sB runs better on some systems than on others. We're using a G5 PPC tower that's been running sB pretty sweetly for over a year now. 1.3.3 vary rarely crashed.  still nothing beats my classic sonic for reliability. I decade without crashing... give or a take a few.
I certainly got my moneys worth from that quadra!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.