R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup Batteries: What do you use?  (Read 7943 times)

Keyplayer

Backup Batteries: What do you use?
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:42:51 AM »

I replaced all of the batteries in my PS Back-up systems at the top of this month (3/02). One was a 1000 watt unit the other four were 550 watt units and all of them were APC products.

I was disappointed to find out that my 1000 watt unit itself had failed and would have to be replaced. So I had to get a R.A. and credit for that purchase. But within 3 weeks  one of the 550 batteries failed. Mad

I woke up this morning to find the alarm going off and a message saying that the battery was overloaded. I lost 2 hours of work fooling around with customer service before they were convinced that the battery itself had failed and not my unit. Finally convinced, they sent me the information regarding the credit for the one 1k battery and the replacement of the other. But this has been one big pain.

I was wondering what other options might be available. What brand of back up batteries do you guys use, are they any more reliable than the APC stuff, or is this just the nature of the device regardless of the manufacturer? If the latter is true how's customer service/price with the other manufacturers?

abtech

Re: Backup Batteries: What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »

I use the Eaton products.  My control room has a 9.3 KW hot swap redundant system with filtering and stabilization.  Not inexpensive, but keeping all the tape machines, console and peripherals safe (and still running) is what pays the bills.  I also have a 45KW prime rated generator with auto-switchover that takes under 30 seconds from failure to online.  The UPS system just buys me that first 30 seconds . . .
and your girlfriend too . . .

KAyo

Re: Backup Batteries: What do you use?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:46:18 AM »

Keyplayer wrote on Mon, 30 March 2009 09:42

or is this just the nature of the device regardless of the manufacturer? If the latter is true how's customer service/price with the other manufacturers?

It's in the nature of the device. Eventually, they do fail, I had an APC for seven years, and then it failed. the batteries died!! I was told to replace the whole thing etc.. I bought the Liebert GXT2 and never looked back. great system. also have read here good informative article.

Cheers..
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 17 queries.