R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Latch Lake 2200  (Read 18241 times)

Jeff Roberts

Re: Latch Lake 2200
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »

pete andrews wrote on Fri, 18 December 2009 08:39

cliff (and/or others) -

what's the smallest the boom will be if it's collapsed all the way in... (iow the length from first joint near the mic back to the counterweight)?

thanks!

pete

That dimension would be 45 1/2 inches for a standard micKing
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
LatchLake@aol.com

"When it all hits the fan, the only things left will be cockroaches and Latch Lake mic stands."
Reese Boisse

pete andrews

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »

thank you jeff!

-pete

Haolemon

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 05:38:04 PM »

Another great thing about the 2200 is that is can be rather compact, depending on how it is set up.  After getting two of these for use in my small studio, I got rid of two Atlas SW36 stands that were always in the way.

pete andrews

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 08:12:08 AM »

alrighty - you guys have sold me.
ordering one today.....

-pete

Fibes

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »

pete andrews wrote on Mon, 28 December 2009 08:12

alrighty - you guys have sold me.
ordering one today.....

-pete

The only problem is that you'll want more.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »

I did not get a chance to talk to the Latch Lake people at AES this year as I intended to, but I have a question about these 2200 stands.

How do you compare the stability of the Latch Lake 2200 with the stability of the old triangular Atlas (M-50 ??) stands?  The base of the Latch Lake 2200 appears to be smaller than those old triangular Atlas stands. I do not know it that is actually true or not but it appears to me when I see the pictures of the 2200.  So it seems to me that the Atlas stand would have more stability because of the bigger base.

The wheels on the Latch Lake 2200 would make moving much easier, but my only concern is how stable they are compared to the triangular Atlas stands since that is my point of reference. I currently will only use those old triangular Atlas stands for any of my good mics.

-Andres

compasspnt

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »

I have had no problem with stability. I have a lot of the Atlas ones, but they are children compared overall to the LL. The LL is actually (at first) a bit harder to move because of the massive weight, but the wheels make it much easier than it would have been otherwise once you get your modus operandi down.

Fibes

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 31 December 2009 17:22

I have had no problem with stability. I have a lot of the Atlas ones, but they are children compared overall to the LL. The LL is actually (at first) a bit harder to move because of the massive weight, but the wheels make it much easier than it would have been otherwise once you get your modus operandi down.

I'll second that with a simple, things aren't always as they appear...

The engineering and design behind this is something to behold (and my other life is in design).
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Christopher Wilson

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »

Even at full extension (or close to full extension in this case) the base is surprisingly stable.  I would re-buy these stands in a minute without bothering to explore other options.
index.php/fa/14035/0/
Christopher Wilson

Christopher Wilson

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »

index.php/fa/14036/0/
That's the Royer SF-12 up top.
Christopher Wilson

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »

Christopher Wilson wrote on Thu, 07 January 2010 21:30

index.php/fa/14036/0/
That's the Royer SF-12 up top.

That just looks scary to me--I would not feel comfortable putting an expensive mic on a stand extended that long without sandbagging the base.  Smile

From what I remember seeing the size of the base of those stands, it just looks like an accident waiting to happen. But then again, I am speaking without the benefit of first hand experience with actually using one.

-Andres

johnR

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »

-

pete andrews

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 07:42:27 AM »

well i just did a couple sessions with my new mic king 2200.
i now understand.
very very well built. it addressed 2 of my biggest gripes i had with my other stands (On Stage something-or-other is one of them).

1) nice small base that doesn't take up a ton of room. Andres - it does look really small, like how in the world is that going to be stable enough?! but it really is working perfect. now granted, i have not attempted a hang like chris is doing there...  but for normal everyday stuff (in a smaller studio) it's been great. you're in jersey - if you're in the middletown area and want to drop by to get a looksee and mine... give me a holler.

2) QUICK and EASY positioning. this for me was huge. the latches are so well thought out and elegant.... just release and you're off and running. Push it back into place and done. it's the thing that i hated the most about the other stands i own... ESPECIALLY the On Stage thing... it had those interlocking teeth type joints (like drum and cymbal stands have at the boom points). that always meant loosening till the teeth disengaged and fumbling around trying to get the assembly to "move" while the mic is bouncing around in the client's face or into an amp grill, etc etc.. The Latch Lake is so smooth and easy (and QUICK) to re-position and move.

thanks everyone for the encouragement to invest in a great tool!

-pete

compasspnt

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 08:54:22 AM »

And two other big positives:

3) When you place the microphone...IT WILL STAY THERE. No coming back and finding a drooper.

4) The cool built-in cable channels, exactly where you need them, makes it easy peezy lemon squeezy to elegantly keep the cabling straight (rice and cheesy).

I am sure that many see the price and decide to cheap out, but there are few better investment to make your recording life better.

Disclaimer: Jeff is a good friend, and is associated with our Lucas microphone ventures (making the bodies and swivel mounts).

pete andrews

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »

sorry to keep gushing about this thing....

another golden feature i love: the last length of tubing that threads into the mic/mic mount ... (about 6 inches long or so?).. rotates freely when the last joint latch is disengaged, so no more winding the entire shock mount around in circles, possibly buggering the threads trying to get it on. hold the entire shockmount stationary and rotate the threaded tube on the stand! 5 seconds later it's done. this seems so minor and stupid but it makes changing mics so much easier.

i just ordered an Xtra boom for ye old sing-and-play-at-the-same-time-people.

-pete
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.