R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New mp3HD format  (Read 4629 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

New mp3HD format
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

The new mp3HD format allows mathematically lossless compression of audio material while preserving backward compatibility to the mp3 standard.
Thomson Introduces mp3HD File Format
3/19/2009
New Format Provides Ultimate Audio Quality
Paris (France) – March 19, 2009 – Thomson (Euronext Paris: 18453; NYSE: TMS), worldwide leader in services to content creators, today introduces mp3HD, the latest addition to the mp3 family.
The new mp3HD format allows mathematically lossless compression of audio material while preserving backward compatibility to the mp3 standard.
Content creators, the music industry and end users are now able to enjoy the ultimate audio quality experience with the same ease of use as the mp3 format. Users and content owners can organize their music library with the simplicity that they are used to with mp3 files.
With the mp3HD format, the music industry can engage in user-friendly distribution of lossless music and audio files. The added file size required for lossless compression no longer being a limiting factor thanks to the continuous increase in Internet bandwidth capacity and file storage size.
http://www.thomson.net/GlobalEnglish/Corporate/News/PressRel eases/Pages/Thomson-Introduces-mp3HD-FileFormat.aspx
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

mastertone

Re: New mp3HD format
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:08:41 PM »

Thanks Al
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »

Smile
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »

"New Format Provides Ultimate Audio Quality"

Well thank goodness that search is over.  We can all go home now.

MP3 -- MP3HD - quite an oxymoron...

Barry

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »

I'm interested in hearing these at some point, interesting find, Alecio. Thanks for sharing this.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Greg Youngman

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 20 March 2009 20:04

"New Format Provides Ultimate Audio Quality"

Well thank goodness that search is over.  We can all go home now.

Barry

Reminds me of "CD quality".
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

cass anawaty

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 21 March 2009 03:04

It is difficult to say with a straight face.
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 21 March 2009 08:18

I'm interested in hearing these at some point, interesting find, Alecio. Thanks for sharing this.

Well - if it's indeed a lossless codec it will sound the same as the uncompressed PCM that it's made from - so "hearing" it isn't the interesting part.  The part that's interesting is what the file size is relative to the uncompressed PCM's - and there's no mention of this in their press release.  If it's still at the approximately 2:1 ratio then all this is yet another redundant offering to ALAC, FLAC, Monkeys Audio, WavPack, Bonk, Shorten, Tak, etc. - but this time attached with what is most likely not such a generous end user license from Thomson.  Guess we'll have to see whether it represents a breakthrough in compression size or it's just a distraction from open source codecs which if all other things to me offer a better ultimate solution as hopefuls for standards to be adopted.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Barry Hufker

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »

It seems more like marketing than anything else: "you love your MP3s now here's an even better MP3 -- MP3HD!!!"  or "you love chocolate so you'll really love our new flavor -- "not chocolate"!!!

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »

Even better?

Wow.

Stunning.

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 21 March 2009 12:34

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 21 March 2009 08:18

Well - if it's indeed a lossless codec it will sound the same as the uncompressed PCM that it's made from - so "hearing" it isn't the interesting part.

Maybe I'm less trusting than you but I'll give it a listen regardless of what they say. Also, I want to hear it in both lossless and lossy formats - I want to know what the 'regular' MP3 portion sounds like compared to similarly compressed MP3s.

Quote:

The part that's interesting is what the file size is relative to the uncompressed PCM's - and there's no mention of this in their press release.

IMO, the alleged backwards compatibility of the format is far more interesting than file size - I can't recall the last time someone complained about how big downloads were. If anyone can play the standard MP3 portion on a regular MP3 player this is a great idea to move 'higher definition' releases.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

richg

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »

Here are some observations on mp3HD from the developer of foobar2000 <http://www.foobar2000.org> from a thread at hydrogenaudio.org < http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7054 8&hl=>:

Quote:

Useless format:

* The lossless part is stored in ID3v2 tags.
   * Size of ID3v2 tags is limited to 256MB by specifications; as a result, lossless part of an mp3hd file can't be larger than 256MB.

I wonder what those people will think of next. Maybe resurrect VQF or something.

Addendum:

Current tagging software isn't prepared to deal with this kind of situation, so you're going to see various disturbing behaviors such as:

* Very slow tag updates (near-full-file-rewrite with each edit).
   * Heavy memory usage of tag editors.
   * Retagging stripping correction data.
   * Tag editing or even reading failures when approaching the 256MB limit because software will try to put each ID3v2 frame in a single memory block and allocating a single block of such size is likely to fail in 32-bit address space because of fragmentation issues.

The two main limitations that I see are:

- "Size of ID3v2 tags is limited to 256MB by specifications; as a result, lossless part of an mp3hd file can't be larger than 256MB."  While this doesn't mean much to your average end user who just downloads albums as a collection of individual tracks, it makes it impossible to encode image files (i.e. entire CD ripped to a single file with a cue sheet).

but this is the fatal flaw, IMO:

- "The lossless part is stored in ID3v2 tags" and therefore "Retagging [can remove] correction data."  This means that any application that modifies the ID3 tag and doesn't keep/can't deal with the lossless tag data can erase the lossless part of the file.  I know I wouldn't be too happy about losing the lossless data just because I added some album art or changed the genre.

Yes, theoretically "all" MP3 tagging programs/processes could eventually be modified to correctly handle the added (unusually large) tags, but until that happened, you would have a lot of very confused, pissed-off customers.

Also, quite a few stand-alone MP3 playback devices (DVD players, in-car CD players, etc.) already have problems dealing with some ID3 tags due to "idiosyncrasies" in tag writing software and the inclusion of "non-standard" (or at least rarely-used) fields - I can't imagine that adding a 20+ MB tag field would improve matters any...

While it may be true that people wouldn't mind longer downloads (mp3HD's compression ratio is quite a bit worse than FLAC, even when the lossy portion is only 128kb/s), I'm pretty sure they would mind very much that they could only fit 1/3-1/5 as much music on their MP3 player (or burned MP3 CDs) as they used to.  Once again, theoretically "all" media device management software could eventually be modified to discard the lossless tag data when transferring MP3s to the devices or burning MP3 CDs (and if you just drop folders on the player, you would have to do it all "by hand"), but personally I would much rather see something along the lines of being able to download Apple Lossless files from iTunes for listening on my home system, and then having the option (which already exists for the Shuffle) to encode to AAC on-the-fly when I sync my iPod.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 06:34:26 AM »

This is some of the ugliest "modifications" of a file format I've seen. The fact that it's coming with severe limitations already is only making it even worse.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »

Does MP3HD allow the creator to release a deliberately quality-locked version of the file (in only its lossy splendor) free of charge with the option for the user to purchase an ID tag that can be written to one's iLock (dongle) so as to unlock the lossless splendor of 44100 (on any device that has the H~Dongle connected)?   Cool  

Andr
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »

I think the idea is that you can play it on any player including an i-pod and not just ones that support their lossless codec.

I can see how that could make buying a music file a lot more attractive to people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.