R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTU 828mk3 hiss  (Read 3397 times)

Strummer

MOTU 828mk3 hiss
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »

Has anyone had issues with a high noise floor of the 828 preamps or line inputs?

A friend of mine wants me to look at his next week and I'm wondering if they're notorious or something. A search here didn't turn up anything, and a Google search did show a few references but nothing in the way of a solution for those that mentioned it.

Derek DiFilippo

Re: MOTU 828mk3 hiss
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »

Hey Strummer,

I had an 828mkII & Logic for about 4 years before converting to a 003 and PT to better handle tracking full sessions.  

The 828 preamps were not particularly noisy unless they were completely dimed.  With a condenser mic they should be "quiet".   The line inputs were fine, same thing.  We're not taking whisper quiet but definitely usable and not obviously fucked up.

A couple of things to watch out for:  
+ at least in the mkII, there was a +6dB digital boost that could be applied to the inputs.  Maybe if that is engaged it could bring out the noise floor unacceptably?
+ There were minor QC issues with my mkII.  I had a backlight go out (no big deal) and then the FW controller chip died (big deal).  MOTU service was good and they only charged me for shipping even though the unit was waaaay out of warranty.

I wouldn't call the 828 notorious for noise.  Look for configuration issues first, then for inter-channel discrepancies.  If you find the noise to be disgusting then it's probably a real QC issue... especially if it's with the line inputs.  They were always acceptably quiet in my experience.  

There are a ton of these units around.  If you can get your hand on a second unit of the same model, an A/B test would be very effective.

Strummer

Re: MOTU 828mk3 hiss
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply Derek.

It turns out that he was hearing his Mac Pro. He's changing to tracking on it with the MOTU rather than the ADAT through his console as he's been doing for years.

A well placed gobo or moving into his booth solved the problem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 18 queries.