R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't mean to kick them when they're down, but  (Read 3924 times)

bigaudioblowhard

Re: I don't mean to kick them when they're down, but
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 04:52:58 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 12 March 2009 10:08

Bristol apparently said some time ago that Levi came around every day, and described him as being "very Hands-on".

Hands on what, she didn't elaborate... -but maybe that was how they ended up in that mess in the first place.

Oh, by the way; "Bristol" is also a term used in cockney rhyming slang. -How appropriate!

Keith

I'm splittin hairs here, but (though appropriate) the notion is to drop the actual word that rhymes from the phrase and refer to (say) a pistol as "lady".

So, for instance, one might say "'ave a butchers at this lady".  Butchers, from Butchers Hook, (look) and Lady for "Lady of Bristol" (pistol)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, actual Cockney told me this, but he may have been a Deep Fat Fryer.

bab

ssltech

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 05:34:07 PM »

Nah, 'e wasn't telling you pork (pies) me old china (plate), That's entirely Yehudi (Menuhin).

Hence "a pair of Bristols". -I believe that I did in fact drop the rhyme and only use the leading word.

Where non-speakers are present, and the desire is to not 'exclude' them from the conversation, the second (rhyming) word is usually included, but out of respect.

Hence if I was with some other native rhyming slang speakers, I might say "the other Barry, some fridge left the nuclear after too a bit too much tiddly". A non-speaker might struggle a little TOO much with that, so if I knew I was in mixed company I'd say "THe other Barry White, some fridge freezer left the nuclear sub after too much tiddly-wink".

Of course, this may still be rather obscure, but it is indeed how it's done.

I'm a little puzzled though... Yes your china (plate) was telling the gold (tooth), but I'm not sure where you're referring to?

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

rnicklaus

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »

Maybe Sarah Palin was being less than honest with the American people when she said her daughter would get married after the election.

You have to wonder what Ann Coulter thinks about this....
R.N.

Taproot

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »

C.O. Jones wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 14:28

PRobb wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 15:20

C.O. Jones wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 16:17

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 12 March 2009 12:22

I have to admit, while I was IN NO WAY a McCain/Palin supporter, I find this continued digging on her kid in poor taste. It's over, they're out of the limelight, I'd like to think people would be considerate and mature enough to let it slide instead of using the Saloon as some sort of National Enquirer regarding this.

Delighting in other people's pain is a hallmark of some ideologues that most stridently don the uniform of "goodness and light" to compensate for being, at core, the kind of sick puppy that enjoys stuff like this.  It is a "value" of sorts, just not an attractive or useful one.

Jones

Who is "delighting in other people's pain"? I see no sign of that here.

Water?  What water?

Said the fish.

That's pretty good. I perceived it in a different light, on this thread and this one:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/27009/13657/

Beavis!?

Yeah, Butthead!?

Said the coward(s)

Yeah! Hu hu...hu...hu hu.......uuuumm....hu...hu, I hear ya....AND THEN....hu hu...hu...hu hu.......uuuumm....hu...hum

Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Barry Hufker

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »

rnicklaus wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 16:38

Maybe Sarah Palin was being less than honest with the American people when she said her daughter would get married after the election.

You have to wonder what Ann Coulter thinks about this....

Republicans never mind applying a double standard when they find themselves in the wrong.  It is Cheney's lesbian daughter, Bristol's illegitimate child, Senator Soandso's hooker, Senator I'mnotgay in the airport bathroom, Preacher I'mnotgay soliciting a gay prostitute...   Eventually every Republican Kettle would be caught by every Republican Pot.

Keith:

I spent an enjoyable hour this afternoon reading on the internet about Cockney rhyming slang.  It was quite enjoyable and spurred on by your posts.

Barry

Larrchild

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 10:33:36 PM »

That is very Ginger Beer.

I don't condone the criticism, but I also wish these people would stop pretending some hymn or prayer makes them less flawed than the rest of us. Both sides are messed up. One side admits it more freely and doesn't go overboard to be Ozzie and Harriet with a closet full of bones.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.