R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive Speakers....Need a Preamp  (Read 4551 times)

L Ron

Passive Speakers....Need a Preamp
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »

I have a Bryston 3b (got it cheap at a pawn shop) and need a decent preamp for it. The Bryston Preamps cost 2k and up. Any suggestions?

hargerst

Re: Passive Speakers....Need a Preamp
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »

I believe the Bryston takes about 1 Volt to drive it to full output.  That's line level.  It should work fine coming off the 2-buss.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 08:56:25 PM »

L Ron wrote on Thu, 29 January 2009 16:20

I have a Bryston 3b (got it cheap at a pawn shop) and need a decent preamp for it. The Bryston Preamps cost 2k and up. Any suggestions?

You lucky. I go into a pawn shop, every time, all I ever see is junk. Generic guitars that wouldn't fret true even if you could get them in tune, and cheapo China made car amps and speakers and a bunch of other junk covered with dust...30 year old computers...JUNK!

Have a nice day
AB

By the way, Harvey, how was NAMM?
I'm thinking about running an idea by you too.
Last but not least...Opals?
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

thedoc

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »

What will you use the preamp for?
Doc

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:08 AM »

Boosting signal for input into the amp I  believe is what he was thinking, but it isn't needed says Harvey. I bet he is right too.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

thedoc

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »

More specific info may lead to a better answer.
Doc

Galil

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »

To answer this question, I would need a few facts.

I know that the Bryson has both -10 dbv unbalanced and +4 dbv balanced inputs.

Is this a studio or stereo?  Bryson is popular in both worlds.

Is there a mixer or console in the signal chain?  If so, no preamp is needed and +4 is preferred unless the amp is very close to the console.

Is this being hooked to a DAW?  Then it depends on the output of the computer soundcard or interface.

Are there multiple inputs to the amp which need to be switched (in addition to the volume control function)?  If so, what are they?

Once the set-up which is upstream of the Bryson is known, then we can really help.

Galil

L Ron

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »

Here are my specifics:

This is for home studio use
No Analog console
Output is DIGI 002--> Rosetta 800
I'd like to be able to switch btwn iTunes/DAW/and maybe phono

Galil

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »

The Rosetta 800 has 8 channels of +4 Db balanced outputs on it. Have you set up a digital link from the 002 to the Rosetta to use all 8 channels? If so, you might want to have a mixer so that you can run stems out and experiment with mixing outside the box. Another possibility is to set up  surround sound monitoring system and run six channels for Left Front, Center, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear and Sub Woofer channel. You have the capability, it might be fun to use it.

If it did not come with the Rosetta, you will need a DB-25 connector to the 8 analog outputs, probably going to XLR male connectors. If it were me, I'd also use the Rosetta for any inputs I might need.

If you are only running channels 1 & 2 for stereo, then you will want to patch it direct into the Bryson.  I think your DAW and I-Tunes will both have software volume controls for monitoring which will allow you to control volume (primary use of a preamp). The Rosetta will easily push the Bryson as loud as it will go. Remember to have mercy on your speakers and ears!

Most consumer preamps will not have the headroom (-10 dbv reference standard, hence 14 db less output compared to the Rosetta assuming the same headroom before clipping, which I think the consumer preamps probably would not have as much as the R.) to keep up with the Rosetta and should NOT be put in line with this signal chain. They will clip early and do harm to your monitoring chain.

The only thing which you might still use the consumer preamp for would be the phono input. In this case, you should get a consumer preamp (anything which meets your standards), and unplug the computer (aka Rosetta outputs) from the Byrson and plug in the preamp (when the Bryson is OFF!), listen to records, then turn off the Bryson, wait for the capacitors to discharge (i.e. no more sound comes through the amp) and repatch the Rosetta.

Let us know if there is anything I missed on this, or if you still want to spend more on the system for some other reason. The way you have currently described it, it seems that any recording money you have would be better put into other areas.

Galil

mdbeh

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »

I run a Mytek or Benchmark DAC directly into a 3BST with no problems.  The only thing you really need before the power amp is a volume control.  As Galil says, you can control levels via software, though since both of my DACs have built-in attenuators, I use those instead.  There are also standalone attenuators like the A Designs ATTY available.

Dedicated phono stages can be had for cheap if you need one of those.  I bought a Rotel one used for $80, and it works fine.

If you need a more elaborate setup, a dedicated controller like a Coleman would work well, though between the above and a patchbay, I've never felt the need for one.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL

mdbeh

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »

Re: iTunes, unless it's on a different PC, you should be able to route that through the same output you use for your DAW, though not while PTLE is still running.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 17 queries.