R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caps - when to change 'em; when to leave well enough alone  (Read 2036 times)

Andrew Hamilton

Caps - when to change 'em; when to leave well enough alone
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:06:04 AM »

If a capacitor is known to be old but still measures within tolerances, is there any reason to change it?  Is there some other property that can be measured with a tool, or is it actually worth daisy-chaining together a long chain of the same brand of cap just to see which chain sounds the least bad and then go with that? (I read someone recommend doing this, once.)  I've had a cap behave erratically that measured fine with a capacitance meter but in the circuit was squirrely.  Replacing just the cap restored order in the device, but the cap was not leaky shorted or open (42k out of 47k
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Jakob Erland

Re: Caps - when to change 'em; when to leave well enough alone
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:26:17 AM »

You may need a ESR-meter - for measuring series resistance?

Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let harman run your company..

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:52:49 AM »

I've always been of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it school."
Capacitors that are failing can induce hum in the power supply and affect frequency response in audio circuits, usually lows and/or highs disappearing.
If replacing the cap fixes the problem, throw away the old one and don't worry why it's not working.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »

I'm of the school of break it and then fix it. Modern capacitors are as advanced as your G5 is over an Apple II. They last longer, have reduced losses and pass higher frequencies better.
Refitting any older piece with the modern formulations will improve the audio transfer and if applied to the power supply, reduce hum levels as well.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.