R/E/P > Brad Blackwood

For those with passive monitor attenuators..

<< < (2/11) > >>

dcollins:
Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 07 March 2009 06:04
What are you using?

Shallco 2k5 bridged T.

Quote:

Since this is going get into general console discussion anyway, let me ask one more thing:

How many of you are using something more extended as a "console" than a monitor volume controller?

3 monitor inputs and 3 insert points.  Of which I use one of each on a normal basis.

DC

bblackwood:
dcollins wrote on Sat, 07 March 2009 15:32
Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 07 March 2009 06:04
What are you using?

Shallco 2k5 bridged T.

Ditto (go figure).

Quote:

Since this is going get into general console discussion anyway, let me ask one more thing:

How many of you are using something more extended as a "console" than a monitor volume controller?

Six sources, seven monitor positions, six inserts.

Andrew Hamilton:
2.5k? Oh, DC...  My 5k system craps out at 227 kHz. );  

(Or, do I add the amp's input Z to that of the attenuator?  If so, I'm actually down at 42 kHz before I enter the cross overs)

You know, 1/2πRC...    My feeling is that I would not add the amp's 22k Ohm input Z to the 5k Ohms of the attenuator, because the resistive part of the amp's impedance is _after_ the capacitative part of the network (i.e., there's no more cable once it hits the amp).    However, I have read people to write that one must factor in all the Z's in each circuit...  

Andrew

Viitalahde:
Been thinking about this.

2k5 or 5k bridged-T sounds like a good route. I just bought some naked Shallcos off eBay, but we'll see if I get around designing my own attenuator or ordering one from Marchand.

I was looking at Dangerous Master earlier, and the three insert points got me curious. Makes sense to me. I could group pieces that usually go together behind one insert, and still use each piece's own bypass. Not all of my tools have a bypass (since it's in the console), but some do.

It's easy to go nuts with console design, when all I need is a simple one. The current one has pre-process attenuators, which I never use. The first one had a fancy L mono/mono/R mono switch, which could be handy but not really necessary.

Restrictions have always made me tick better.  

jdg:
i am on rev 5 of mine. and i really simplified it.
6 source, 1 insert, 3 outputs. 5k attenuator

the one insert is now really just a global bypass for the whole process chain

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version