R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop Filter shootout (ANSWERS ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST)  (Read 28539 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Pop Filter shootout
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »

rankus wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 10:59

Hmm.  Seems I like the Steadman  Shocked   It does add a bit to the top, but in the example I thought it suited.  I had a suspicion it was the Steadman when I chose it as well... what do I win?

a foam filter.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Nizzle

Re: Pop Filter shootout
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 11:41

rankus wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 10:59

Hmm.  Seems I like the Steadman  Shocked   It does add a bit to the top, but in the example I thought it suited.  I had a suspicion it was the Steadman when I chose it as well... what do I win?

a foam filter.

If he doesn't take it - I will  Smile

-t

PookyNMR

Re: Pop Filter shootout (ANSWERS ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST)
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »

Interesting results.  I'm going to have to look at further testing with my chosen favorite.  I've never used one before.  I've used the Steadman quite a bit but haven't always been perfectly happy with the sound.  

Thanks for doing this, JJ.  It was fun and helpful.  I've enjoyed your listening tests over the years.  
Nathan Rousu

maarvold

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 02:26:04 AM »

I own the Pauly.  Haven't yet heard the examples because I haven't had time.  I've been doing vocals for the last couple of days with 3-5 different singers.  One guy was always on the same mic and this morning I noticed--on a track I was punching in on--that his vocals this morning sounded louder (and a bit brighter) than ones I cut yesterday afternoon; same preamp, never touched the gain, same compressor, never touched the settings, same input, no fader involved.  The only thing I figured could have changed was the pop filter--Popper Stopper (yesterday), when the Pauly was on a different mic, to Pauly (today).  Brighter I could understand, but louder?  I asked him a couple of times if he was closer to the mic, because that's how he sounded.  But this guy is a VERY experienced studio singer and he said definitely not any closer.  Two times he said it.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

JGauthier

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 09:46:27 PM »

Thanks JJ!

I do wonder if I like the popper stopper because thats what I use here... I always hear about the steadmans but never wanted to change. But I wonder if anyone else gravitated towards what they already use?

The Petes Place sounded great to me... Really good. And funny I didn't like number 5 cause it was too bright which actually may be the biggest compliment I could give it. I thought all the others had audible rolloff, which I actually prefer if done right.

I will say the results are the best I could have hoped for... This shootout will for once cost me NOTHING! BWAAAAAhahhahhhaha!

Nope. Damn, now I want to try a Petes too...

jetbase

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 10:51:55 PM »

Has anyone experimented with different distance or angle between a mic capsule & a pop filter?
I have no idea if there actually would be a difference, but my experiences in the past made me wonder.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

PookyNMR

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 11:35:03 PM »

jetbase wrote on Mon, 16 March 2009 20:51

Has anyone experimented with different distance or angle between a mic capsule & a pop filter?
I have no idea if there actually would be a difference, but my experiences in the past made me wonder.

I have.  I came to the conclusion that some pop filters (like the Steadman or Shure) need at least 4 inches to be truly effective.  At least, that is where my ears thought they sounded best.  I found if they were too close, they weren't catching plosives as well and sounded a little funny one the sibilant tones in the high end.
Nathan Rousu

maarvold

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »

1. is the only good one.  

2. Too skinny, but good mid & top

3. Sounds 'big' but sounds unnatural in a hard-to-describe way; recessed 300-700 Hz maybe?

4. Removes the foundation of the voice; adds (or emphasizes) a part of the mids that gives voice a mild 'sandy' texture

5. Let's too much popping through--more than any other--and sounds unnatural in a new and different way; emphasizes sibilance

6. Unacceptably colored compared to no filter, loses presence, emphasizes 550 or 600 Hz resonance a bit (yuk)

What a wake-up call.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

rankus

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »

Thanks for doing these shootouts for us JJ.  They really are most helpful.  You are a gentleman and a scholar!  

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

pan60

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:36 PM »

just thought i would give this a bump J. J.

Shocked
and thanks again for checking the filter out!

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 11:19:21 PM »

Wow thanks JJ,  

Those filters REALLY  hose up the sound more than I had suspected..  
I thought 4 and 5 were the best.  
The message I am taking is - do not use any filter if you can avoid it.
j

maarvold

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 01:32:56 PM »

I thought this thread deserved a bump, if only so people who might have missed it get another chance.  Anything new on the horizon--products or techniques?  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Jitters

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 07:15:44 AM »

Very informative...

Still, it would have been nice to have included pantyhose over a clothes hanger, you know, just as a scientific control for the experiment.  Razz

JGauthier

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »

No doubt informative!

Thanks again to JJ for the shootout!

Seeing this thread again today shows how much I thought of JJ's shootout- Since I picked the popper stopper (and thats what I already have and its cheap) I haven't thought about popper stoppers at ALL!

Completey forgot about Petes place which was my #2, again which is great. I like shootouts that SAVE me money for once!

And the shootout also confirms that the best... is without.

But damn if the cheap popper stopper didn't do just fine! Wow, seeing this thread just really stoked me on how well I could walk away from caring after that shootout. Money didn't necessarily help sonics!

bob ebeling

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »

I can't stand what the steadman is doing to the esses.  Popper stopper made the vocal boring.  Petes definitely sounds strained.  

Compared to the unfiltered sample, I would say the Pauly lives up to the hype.  Very little difference to the origional, except it stops the pops.

To me they all stop the pop but the bigger issue is what they do to the esses, and overall microcurves.  Pauly wins.

Listening on grados in the living room.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.