R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonnie Raitt---George?  (Read 2356 times)

Alan Scobie

Bonnie Raitt---George?
« on: July 01, 2004, 08:51:30 PM »

Hi George,

I got started on forums(and the internet) to ask you a question a couple of years ago and it was my first post ever. Surprised

I asked you about Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Hornsby and 'I can't make you love me' ....still one of my all time favourites.
Did Bruce really just come up with that Shocked

I am going to see Bonnie Raitt in Concert over here in Bonnie Scotland. Edinburgh to be precise..... Sunday night and I can't wait....Bruce is coming to the UK for the first time in years in September and I have flights and tickets already Very Happy

Do you have any further insights or snippets about Bonnie Raitt that you could share.

A drummer buddy of mine went to see her in concert and she was apparently using a different amp than normal. She got 8 Bars in to one song and then stopped the band and asked the audience, while pointing at her amp with disgust..."Does that sound like ZZ top to you?"...then carried on!

I love her stuff and I am a big fan of Paul Brady as well so the  two together is ....wow.

Cheers

Alan.

George Massenburg

Re: Bonnie Raitt---George?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 09:45:34 PM »

Alan Scobie wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 19:51

Hi George,

I got started on forums (and the internet) to ask you a question a couple of years ago and it was my first post ever. Surprised

I asked you about Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Hornsby and 'I can't make you love me' ....still one of my all time favourites.

[...]

Hi Alan,

You know, if it's the song that I think it is, "I Can't Make You Love Me (If You Don't)" was written in part by my friend Mike Reid.  Now, this man is one of the most interesting people that I've met.  You'd be able to find his bio on-line somewhere, but let me give you the short version.

He finished college both as a composing musician and as a first-string football player.  He played defensive tackle for the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals.  He also writes the most sensitive tunes I've heard.  Oh, and he also did a (commissioned) opera on football.

A bunch of us have breakfast together often on Sundays after church.  He also tells the best jokes in town.

George

Alan Scobie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 10:43:07 PM »

Hi george,

Thanks for the info.

I misled you a bit, I meant Bruce coming up with that piano part and not the song.

It was co-written by your Buddy Mike and Allen Shamblin, do you know of Shamblin....? Surely he doesn't come to breakfast too Very Happy  

That particular song pretty much inspired me to where I am now. I have just signed a long term publishing deal, I have my own small commercial studio and I am starting August producing my third album for commercial release. It took quit some time to become an overnight success as they say.

If you see him again soon, buy him breakfast for me. Very Happy  

He indirectly had quite an influence on my life.

All the best

Alan.

George Massenburg

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 08:23:01 AM »

Alan,

My mistake.  I had always thought that Mike wrote it himself.  No, I don't know Allen Shamblin, but obviously he's big around these parts.  

Myself, I'm not so big in Nashville music.  First, until very recently with the hiring of John Grady at Sony, I have had deep misgivings about Music Row and about its focus on anything but good music - radio in general, and country radio in particular have made every effort to destroy art in music.  John, so far, has taken some significant steps to correct that.  Secondly, I so loathe the way so-called "hot young country" is produced I am unable to say that I can do it.  Unfortunately, it's being done by some very good friends of mine, so there's not much I can say.  Better I should just mind my own business, which is to say that the overwhelming majority of my work comes from out of town.

George

lincolnhwyguitarman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 01:44:10 PM »

George Massenburg wrote on Fri, 02 July 2004 02:45

He finished college both as a composing musician and as a first-string football player.  He played defensive tackle for the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals.  He also writes the most sensitive tunes I've heard.  Oh, and he also did a (commissioned) opera on football.

George

He's also from my home town, Altoona, Pa. He's the cousin of a friend of mine. Mike is a genuine person if there ever was one.
Thanks,

Mark

Kris

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 04:29:14 PM »

If I recall from a thread long ago, Ed Cherney mentioned that this track went down live in the studio on the first or second take... beautiful song and sounds...

Eric Rudd

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 06:06:56 PM »

George Massenburg wrote on Fri, 02 July 2004 02:45

Alan Scobie wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 19:51

Hi George,

I got started on forums (and the internet) to ask you a question a couple of years ago and it was my first post ever. Surprised

[...]

Hi Alan,

You know, if it's the song that I think it is, "I Can't Make You Love Me (If You Don't)" was written in part by my friend Mike Reid.  Now, this man is one of the most interesting people that I've met.  You'd be able to find his bio on-line somewhere, but let me give you the short version.

A bunch of us have breakfast together often on Sundays after church.  He also tells the best jokes in town.

George

Not to mention, he's a very good piano player. One of the most gentle-spirited guys I've ever met. It's a wonder he was a pro football player. He wrote songs for a few projects I worked on in Nashvegas. I remember discussing classical music with him over dinner at Granite Falls a few years ago. One of a kind.

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.