R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: when too many cooks spoil the broth  (Read 1883 times)

aelon

when too many cooks spoil the broth
« on: July 01, 2004, 02:07:05 PM »

I'm trying to finish up a project right now at a home studio, located in the home of one of the band members.  This musician's education and experience comes mostly from reading forums, interviews, articles, etc.  This person also lacks a trained ear (not even capable of identifying 8kHz from 2kHz)!  Being hired independently, I make the assumption that I'm being paid (off of sales) to record and mix.  Now this person wants to mix too.  So, I'm trying to mix up a product geared toward their tastes, and perform at a professional level (IE, keep things dynamic, use EQ when needed, etc).  But, when I'm not around, my mixes get changed.  This studio owner has over-compressed instruments, and over-tuned vocals in my mixes to the point of severe amateur quality, simply because some interview with so-and-so referred to compression=loud (disregarding the purpose of the mastering engineer).  

Since this fellow likes to read so much, can somebody email me a link to some new reading material for this person, PLEASE!?  

lucey

Re: when too many cooks spoil the broth
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 03:33:50 PM »

a person who follows what they read and has not the ears to experiment for themelves or even understand what they are reading (evidenced through the blind application you suggest), will only do more bad things with music by reading further.

instead of taking on his consciouness with more literature and micro-therapy, why not talk to him about the role you're in and get that role clarified

if you are not paid, and not respected enough to act from your own taste... then why are you there at all?

i ask both to him and to you?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

eightyeightkeys

Re: when too many cooks spoil the broth
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 10:08:13 PM »

I worked with an engineer years and years ago that would kick everyone out while he was mixing and invited everyone back in when he was good and ready. At the time I thought that was a bit odd considering that he wasn't  "the artist".

But, now as a studio owner/engineer I understand it VERY well. But, I just got suckered in last night. A client asked how the mix was going and he wanted to come over and have a listen. The mix was pretty much done so I said O.K.

Well after he arrived, he started to find flaws with all kinds of little things in his vocal performance. 3 hours later we, "he" finished up and left. Needless to say, I was fried and completely out of mix mode so I just packed it in and mixed ON MY OWN the next day.

I suggest you do what my local auto mechanic does. He has a sign posted :

"My bench rate is $75/hour. If you want to watch it's $150/hour."
Dave T.
D&D Music
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.