R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 802 times)

Silvertone

Will this work?
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of re-buying equipment for the facility that burned down last year.

We are thinking of getting the latest and greatest Mac and loading many of the current popular audio software programs on there for both Mac and PC. 32 channels of Aurora converters will be used (and hooked up to a 32 Channel Sphere console). Two UAD2 cards will be installed as well.

We will be buying for the Mac side:  Pro Tools HD3 Accell, Logic, Digital Performer and Nuendo  (???).  

On the PC side: Sonar, Samplitude, Acid  (???).

I guess my question becomes will all these programs really run on a single Mac computer? Are any of you running both PC software and Mac software on a single Mac computer? How has it been for you?

My friend Troy over at RPI has set up there music labs in a similar fashion and he said everything works great but that is the first time I've heard that.

Thanks everyone.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Smitty

Re: Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »

What happens if the Mac dies and needs repairs will you have a spare?

EDIT: I have not tried this so I couldn't say yes or no but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket unless I had a spare especially if you are depending on it for sessions.
E. Smith

mattrussell

Re: Will this work?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »

my experience with running windows on a mac has been very good.  there are little things that can be annoying - and audio management has been one.  when running windows, the built-in audio on a mac gets controlled by an app that is real flimsy.  doesn't have too many options.  does it work?  yes, it does.  it's just not great and flexible.  

i have also run macs using a variety of virtual machines.  i've spent most of the VM time using VMware.  as well as it does it's job, i wouldn't use it for audio.  run boot camp and boot natively into windows.  you'll have a better experience.

that does leave you with only one machine and one that runs a single OS at a time.  works for my purposes, but maybe you'll need to have both machines (recording on one while using another for virtual instruments, etc).  

matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.