R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording eletric guitar DIRECT!  (Read 6810 times)

CWHumphrey

Re: Recording electric guitar DIRECT!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »

Is really that hard to tweak an amp?

Fortunately, I've had the good fortune when recording rock the past number of years, to go to a couple of studios in Los Angeles that have great selections of vintage amps, and in some cases, guitars-at no extra cost.

If I'm in a hurry (which is almost always), I'll grab 2 or 3 guitars and amps in addition to what the player has for shoot out purposes.

I have the player "audition" the part live in the with his/her usual setup.  Then, I make a decision to maybe try another guitar and maybe one or two other amps to check out.  This happens fairly quickly: we just try a few bars with each amp and each guitar and make a decision.  Sometimes, this might inspire layering of different guitar/amps.  I like to keep things moving because I don't want the player to get burned out.

I'm also a big believer in getting it right at the source.  Assuming the guitar, amp, Mic's, and placement are right, after adjusting the balance of the 2 Mic's (or 3) on the amp, I always make EQ changes with the tone controls on the amp rather than EQ'ing in the control room.  When it's right, it's right.

I've only recorded a guitar direct when I wanted a specific effect, such as the signal going in to a super long reverb and only getting the reverberated sound.  While I've used things like The Pod, Sans Amp, and the like, I've found that the player has to have really great tone in their playing to get even a decent tone out of those things.

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

Nick Sevilla

Re: Recording eletric guitar DIRECT!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »

Nacho wrote on Sat, 30 May 2009 10:01

Oh man, I might be stepping on some toes here but I consider recording electric guitars direct a capital sin.  Call me oldschool or outdated but no simulator, DI box or plugin can replace the sound of a nice miced guitar amp.

It's just my humble opinion.

It's just another type of sound. Another tool if you will...

Most west african "cocote" sounds are direct to the board. You cannot get that sound with an amplifier.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Nacho

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 13:43

Oh man, I might be stepping on some toes here but I consider recording electric guitars direct a capital sin.  Call me oldschool or outdated but no simulator, DI box or plugin can replace the sound of a nice miced guitar amp.

Most west african "cocote" sounds are direct to the board. You cannot get that sound with an amplifier.

Cheers

I thought we were talking about distorted guitar sounds... Shocked
"The act of accomplishing nothing other than wastefulness is both exhausting and debilitating to the soul." -Mixerman
www.ptystudios.com
www.myspace.com/nachomolino

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »

Nacho wrote on Tue, 02 June 2009 11:33

Nick Sevilla wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 13:43

Cheers

I thought we were talking about distorted guitar sounds... Shocked

You can distort the desks' input... but you have to have a really good guitar player to get anything useful out of that sound.

Mostly DI guitars are clean.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

compasspnt

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »

Bruno Gouveia wrote on Sun, 15 February 2009 18:15

And are this guitar sounds from Metallica's last album recorded directly? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56GE8d8ms1s

By the way, Greg Fidelman, the engineer in that video (with the black hair) is a SUPER GREAT guitarist himself.

Third from left in this album cover:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Used-Rhino-Bucket/dp/B000008JZG

NelsonL

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 07:15:20 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 02 June 2009 15:11

And are this guitar sounds from Metallica's last album recorded directly? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56GE8d8ms1s

By the way, Greg Fidelman, the engineer in that video (with the black hair) is a SUPER GREAT guitarist himself.

I engineered a project with a Jackie Enx, FKA Liam Jason (also pictured) last year-- one of my favorite people to work with, ever.

I learned a ton about editing (very lightly) for feel, and made a great friend.

Naturally, when Terry's name came up I got to hear the retelling of some very fond memories.

Dan-O

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 02 June 2009 18:11

Love the Bucket!
Dan-O
Snake Oil Recording
http://www.snakeoilrecording.com
Richmond, VA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.