R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Telefunken/USA's "VF14k" tube = WE 407/408A?  (Read 72363 times)

George_

Re: Telefunken/USA's "VF14k" tube = WE 407/408A?
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2009, 03:46:06 AM »

I got a lot of personal attacks through Gearslutz, pms, mails.

I may have insultet Oliver too much. I am sorry about that.

I still would like to have a straight answer from Oliver:
do you produce/make/invented this VF14k clone-valve inside those T-USA microphones?

Thank you.
cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

wildcowboys

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »

My summary is this:
The company has advertised and sold something of relatively low value as something special and unique of high value. They stated their "metal" tube is sonically and electronically identical to the vintage original whereas in reality this is simply not true. Customers believed they spent lots of money on a replica/clone of a rare and expensive metal tube when all they bought was a cheap glass substitute disguised as a metal tube.

The big question that remains unanswered to this point is Oliver Achut´s role in this story.  (...) so far Oliver has been avoiding a clear answer to the question, leaving it 100% open if he knew about, designed, manufactured or supplied the metal-housed-glass-tubes to the company.
Best,
Pat

Oliver Archut

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »

In this thread it was suggested that I am involved with the VF14K tube by Telefunken-USA.
Like most in the business, I sometimes need to talk in metaphors, when I know more than I can write or publish: doing OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) for about 15 companies in the audio world sometimes gives me the privilege to know (a lot more than I can communicate) so it woudl be inappropriate to inform nor disclose anything if the manufacturer does not want to tell the public.That is why I my name is not on the final product in most cases. (...)

Andy at HE: please apologize if I thought you had a part in th(e showing of glass tube pictures).

I also disclosed that I am supplying parts like x-formers, etc. to Telefunken- USA, so my ability is limited to the question of how it sounds or how good it is.

So here now, is my involvement with Telefunken USA's tube project:

I made original materials to Telefunken-USA available that came out of the tube factory in Ulm, as well as (giving them) original production information and parts that came out of the tube factory in Berlin. What they do with them is their business. If somebody thinks this makes me a part of Telefunken-USA, they are wrong. I neither endorse or defend their products or marketing, and I stated that several times in my posts.

And the last time I checked with Telefunken, their VF14k tubes are made in Connecticut by Telefunken-USA. So, to answer if I make tubes or replacement tubes, I have to say "no".

I hope that clears it up.

P.S.: The molybdenum wire is used as an core mandrel and the Sylvania and GE made Tungsten is used as the actual filament wire.

Best regards,

The pics shows some of the material that I made availible to TFKNA.
index.php/fa/11583/0/
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

maarvold

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2009, 12:02:36 PM »

It seems to me the essential elements of this thread can be covered by 3 timeworn phrases (supplemented by 2 additional ones):

1. Life is not fair.
    (If the tube is not what it appears to be, it won't be the first or last time someone has "put lipstick on a pig").

2. Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).  
    (Just because something "looks good on paper" doesn't mean it is).  

3. Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.  
    (If this tube is fantastic and truly--sonically--replaces the VF14M, they will ultimately be able to sell them at an even higher price; supply and demand: the essence of capitalism).  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

jrmintz

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »

If I could add one thought to the previous post, I believe it was George Bernard Shaw who called the English and the Americans, "two peoples separated by a common language". Much gets lost in the translation from English to English.

wildcowboys

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »

Finally a somewhat clear answer! Thanks Oliver!
Now I can make MY personal judgement about your role in this story.  

I still may disagree with you when you say you are not a part of what I personally see as a questionable way to describe and advertise a tube. (...) but I agree with you when you say it is not your job to reveal something that your clients ask you not to reveal.

But, and this is my point, it is your job to decide if you collaborate with a (questionable) client and make money from it or not. Im my opinion, you chose money over ethics.

Best,
Pat

George_

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »

Oliver (...) for me it's ok now. The thread was not about finding out if you build this tube or not.

Telefunken-USA has adjusted their website with the truth of a glas-tube inside a metalhousing.

thank you Oliver!  Very Happy

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

mazoaudio

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »

I've become a fan of Oliver's after the reading the wealth of information  he has provided on this and other forums. (he does not get paid for that!).  I really appreciate his passion for vintage techniques and his willingness to share.  I think I'm going to be quite happy with his latest creation.

Rock on Oliver! and let's grow up guys!

Lance Ketterer

Mazo Audio

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »

On that fine note, I think we ar done with this threat, and I will lock it down.

Please PM me if you have substantive new information (or pictures) which would shed light on what tube is currently supplied in the production-model of the Telefunken-USA U47 copy, and I will re-open the topic, for the benefit of getting information out.

Thanks, and please forgive my heavy-handed editing or deletion of some posts in this thread. The forum's reputation and integrity was at stake.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Fletcher

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »

The tube is made out of glass... it's put into a housing that permits the tube to be a "drop in replacement" for a VF-14 (M stamp).  They're "burned in", noise tested, checked for consistency and a metal housing is added so the thing doesn't look ugly as sin [which if you look at the pictures with the hood removed... they obviously look ugly as sin].

Telefunken USA does a very dilligent job to insure consistency of these tubes... it is the only "drop in / plug and play" alternative to a 50+ yr. old VF-14.  Over the course of time the variations in VF-14 [even the ones with "M" stampings] is far greater than the variations found in the VF-14k... and over the years I've seen more than a few mics with VF-14 tubes that are missing the "M" stamp [and even a few with a counterfeit "M" stamp... which in my opinion is a truly criminal act].  Telefunken USA isn't counterfeiting the tubes... they're making a "plug and play" replacement... which if you ask me is a pretty cool thing.

Nobody has been trying to perpetrate any form of fraud... they've been trying to come up with a viable solution at a reasonable price that doesn't require further modification of the microphone... or in the case of the mics they build, keeps the product as close to the original as humanly possible... also a good thing.  

The bottom line is that Telefunken USA put up the capital to buy several thousand of these tubes [not cheap], has devised systems to "quality control" these tubes, worked with an amazing consultant to get the right tube to work as a "plug and play" alternative to a VF-14 (M stamp)... and you guys are moaning that it's a glass tube in a metal can.

If you want a different tube, use a different tube.  If you want to drop a couple grand on a VF-14 (M stamp) no one is standing in your way... if you want to put in original UF or EF-14's [which require some modification work and don't sound quite as good, at least in my opinion] nobody is stopping anyone from doing just that.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:41 PM »

To add factual information, I thought I copy from a PM I received from Lucas Heyer about additional resources for plug+play retrofit tubs for U47-type mics.

Also, in response to several email inquiries: Fletcher as forum administrator can post, even after a thread had been locked by the moderator. After he posted, he sent me an apology for not realizing that the thread had been locked.  Thanks, Fletch.

Quote:

I was surprised to see Fletcher's post after the thread was locked, as it contains at least one bit of information I don't believe is quite correct:

"it is the only "drop in / plug and play" alternative to a 50+ yr. old VF-14."

I think it is not the only one: Saturn Sound made available their RV-14m even earlier than Telefunken USA did, no?

http://www.saturn-sound.com/products/replacement%20valve.htm

And then there is the 'FET 14' HE Studio Technik offers:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/178506-please-someon e-make-vf14-tubes-2.html

http://www.hestudiotechnik.de/deutsch/gebrauchte%20studiotec hnik/microfones/micofones.htm

I also forgot to mention these other offerings:

'Music Valve Electronics U-47 Nuvistor Tube Adapter' (appears to be an after market version of the AR-47 kit):
http://www.musicvalve.com/neumann.html

And 'Telefunken U47 FET Retrofit', a page with information regarding retrofitting VF14s with FET electronics:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/U47-FET.html

------------------------------

Hope this helps,
Lukas
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.