R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Carpocalypse Now  (Read 15130 times)

bblackwood

Carpocalypse Now
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »

Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ssltech

Re: Carpocalypse Now
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »

This shot is of the Speke assembly plant for Jaguar... the parking lot just off of "route seven" (the A561).

Towards the top of the shot on the right is where the local scousers stole one of the engines!

Wink
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/01/medium_3214176536_5535e38b07_o.jpg

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

cerberus

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »

wow, look at all those unsold lexus "near luxury" cars.
i understand ford invested in hide-away air vents,
carefully injection moulded in the east. the
highest quality polymers, i assure you!

good thing they got rid of these already.
http://www.nextcar.com.au/i.jaguar.x.type.estate.04sep.jpg

perhaps someday they will build jaguars again?

jeff dinces

cerberus

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:09:59 AM »

this apparently official photo was released today as part of big three beg-out hearings.
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/02/2010_Cadillac_CTS_Coupe-topshot.jpg

imo, that is a stunning design. my reason for hoping gm makes it
is that they can build this car. i think most of the rest of their
lineup is ugly. imo, it is the first problem with  detroit.
if one doesn't have unique technology,
at least sell something unique.

jeff dinces

Berolzheimer

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:01:28 AM »

cerberus wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 22:09

this apparently official photo was released today as part of big three beg-out hearings.

imo, that is a stunning design. my reason for hoping gm makes it
is that they can build this car. i think most of the rest of their
lineup is ugly. imo, it is the first problem with  detroit.
if one doesn't have unique technology,
at least sell something unique.

jeff dinces

Really? to me that is just Uuuuggg-ly.  

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:12:31 AM »

Almost as ugly as the other GM designs.

What is wrong with them?

Chimpanzees in the design dept?

ssltech

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 18 February 2009 01:09

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/02/2010_Cadillac_CTS_Coupe-topshot.jpg

...which demonstrates their sense of apalling timing. I wouldn't do anything so silly as to release a photo of such a complete dog's breakfast of a design if I was so short of money.

Bold, it may be. -But it's also excessively polarizing. -People tend to love it or hate it, with very few people feeling impartial either way.

I personally feel that It's perhaps one of the worst looking vehicles since... well since almost any of the recent GM offerings, actually.

The 2000 GM monte Carlo, for example: -At what point did somebody say "There; -That looks attractive!"? -And was he wearing dark glasses, carrying a white stick and being shepherded along by a golden retriever at the time?

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/motorshows/la2005/03-large/chevrolet-monte-carlo.jpg

It has unneccessarily vast slab-sided expanses of sheet metal at the rear-end which they tried to minimize by:

a) raising the upper edge of the wheel arch to a simply preposterous degree.
b) adding a "bridge-to-nowhere" crease-line (which -I know- is supposed to 'echo' the elegant, sweeping tail haunches from Monte Carlo's of old... but it fails.  Miserably.)

Words fail me when it comes to GM's various styling departments' ineptitude.

In fact Every single -no exceptions- Cadillac product since about 2001 has looked simply appalling to me. Angular and ridge-lined for the arbitrary sake of it.

They've heard about "brand identity" and "badge-specific features" etc. and they've taken these business-school-geek terms and have utterly and completely lost sight of the fact that a simple 'whole' concept; -One which looks "right" and speaks "to the heart" -instead of hitting all the key spots on some arbitrary, theoretical checklist- will triumph. EVERY TIME.

The poor little sheep have lost their way.

Buick. -What the HELL are they thinking? Cars which used to sell reliably to old people are now reduced to three models. -And one of those is an 'aspirational' semi-SUV crossover design which old people aren't buying because it looks too "wierd", and young people are scared to buy, because "...it's a Buick... isn't that an OLD MAN's car???".

Pontiac Aztek. -Are you shtting me?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2737688437_d496feb8a2.jpg

You could have a thousand free swings with a sledgehammer, and I guarantee that not one blow would do ANYTHING except make it more attractive.

Best looking GM recently? -Probably the GTO. -Except that was designed and styled in Australia by Holden.

Will someone PLEASE take the crayons away from the buffoons in the styling department? -The Europeans are starting to worry about global Ugly.

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »

Keith, you are 100% on the money.

Absolutely appalling.

And you can't tell me that styling is not related to sales.

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »

index.php/fa/11321/0/

Steve Hudson

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »

Now that's a purty car.

I think the only current-production vehicle uglier that the Aztek is the fugly Scion xB, a breadbox on wheels.

index.php/fa/11324/0/
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

ssltech

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:04:41 PM »

The Scion is not my cup of tea at all... -But it's a thousand times better than anything from GM in a long time. -It shows clarity and purpose in its styling, and 'sometimes what someone really WANTS is a box on wheels'. -I forget who originated that quote, but it referred -originally- to the VW Type II (microbus/combi etc) of the 1950's. -I'm inclined to agree.

The French are notorious/incorrigible/famous/laudable (delete as appropriate) for going their own way no matter what, and the US has been kept in the dark about what Peugeot (for example) have been doing for the last couple of decades, owing to some awful product from French car makers about 25 years ago. -By the way, I've still yet to meet an American who even correctly pronounces "Peugeot". (It's pronounced "purr-jhoe", not "pyoo-joe" by the way.)

Renault, Citroen and Peugeot have indeed all produced their fair share of serious 'mingers' in their time, but they've also produced one or two stunning design ideas, pursuing ideas which nobody else would EVER touch.

Ford have been industriously working at bettering themselves, as I've long maintained, and I have VERY high hopes for their new Hybrid Focus. A somewhat 'dull' car it may be, but that's actually exactly what a car maker needs to produce right now... reliable, dependable and good-for-the-money. It sells Accords. It sells Camrys. It sold Beetles, it sold Model-T's and it'll be what sells the next big industry-dominating car company product.

I hope that GM can do something, but I've talked one-on-one with Rick Wagoner over a decade ago, and I've watched him since then... and I honestly think that he's got to go before GM can even HOPE to have half the chance which Ford do right now.

It's a sad thing, but there are too many execs who need to be replaced. They're NOT the men to LEAD the companies at this time, and they know almost nothing about how to fix what's broken.

Keith

compasspnt

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 05:29:01 PM »

Again, right on comments.

BTW, I am the one (so-called) "American" who can properly pronounce Peugeot (also having had four of them over the years).

This one is top on my wish list:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/11/paris-2006-peugeot-908-rc -concept/

Jay Kadis

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »

Peugeot has certainly come a long way from the 403.  My dad brought one back from France in 1961 and we drove it across the US.  The clutch went out in Cheyenne, WY and it caused quite a stir at the repair shop,  "What the hell IS that thing?"

Steve Hudson

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 18 February 2009 16:29

BTW, I am the one (so-called) "American" who can properly pronounce Peugeot (also having had four of them over the years).

In Texas we call it a Pee-yew-gi-ot.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

cerberus

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »

ok. so i'll concede that ed wellburn is no bill mitchell.

i also drove a couple of peugeots when
i was in belgium and luxemborg (104) and
normandy (404).. that was highly "illegal"
at least for me at age 15. zero experience.

and i don't know who's 404 it was...
i had help with the dash-mounted
shifter... i simply gave the same
commands like in yachting,
you know, "prepare to jibe"
in french... the steep hills
in normandy were err..
extremely steep, with
twisty roads down
from the cliffs to
the stone
beaches.

the brakes on that old 404 were
questionable, but, ya know
hills are not for brakes...

this is a good way to learn to drive. it
is a dangerous endeavor. be scared.

i taught my brother this way
and he was much younger.

thus we all coulda died, but
i was so sure i could do
it, they dared me.

a great lesson in teamwork,
we did not really speak
the same language...
except i guess we
did about cars.

jeff dinces
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.