R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is this glitch?  (Read 3010 times)

Doc Roc

What is this glitch?
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »

I have a prospective client who was hoping I could fix a .wav file.  After hearing it, I know I will not be able to, but was still hoping I could pinpoint exactly what happened.  It sounds like every couple seconds it stops recording for a couple seconds, then records again.  You can hear this quite obviously.  The program was 2 hrs long but the wave is only 40 min long. How/Why might this have happened?  Is there a common name for this problem (opening myself up to some jokes here i'm sure)?  Or do you think the recorder is simply defective?  Not sure if the person had had a similar problem with this recorder or not.  Couldn't find anything in the manual.  Could someone check it out and tell me what you think?  here is the mp3 link to it that should open in quicktime.  Thanks for any insight...

http://www.noisegateaudio.com/PubCoUpdate2009.mp3

It was recorded with an Olympus Digital Voice Recorder, VN-240PC
Ross Neptune
Noise Gate Audio Production Services
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

Tim Halligan

Re: What is this glitch?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »

It's kinda funny that the domain name is "noisegateaudio"...

I suspect that this Olympus doohickey has a "voice-activated" recording "feature" and judging by the way the speaker seems to "push" for emphasis - which is re-activating the record process - the rest of it is somehow not quite loud enough to keep the recorder in record.

This could be due to not being close enough to the person speaking, or an actual speaker...

Having said that, it's a pretty horrific sounding recording... Rolling Eyes

HTH

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Doc Roc

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »

ha! I mentioned the bad quality to him as well (as a seperate issue).  As far as the auto-record function, I totally should have thought of that.  I'm sure that's what happened.  Thx.

NoiseGateAudio is my website domain and the name of my business.  The location of the mp3 is on my domain because he sent me a wav file by email. So I converted to mp3 and uploaded it there in order to post it here.  

THX for your help!

Ross
Ross Neptune
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

Yup, in LP mode, the response is only 300 to 2,600 Hz.  And it was obviously set to "Voice Activation".  There is a switch to turn that off, and a "Sensitivity" setting as well.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Doc Roc

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:21:20 PM »

Thanks a lot guys.  Means a lot.

Ross
Ross Neptune
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

JDNelson

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:25:15 PM »

You know, this isn't the cause of the Doc's problem, but I once all but tore my hair out trying to figure out something like this and it turned out to be a plugin that had reverted to demo mode when I inadventently deleted the authorization.  Boy did I feel like a big dummy when it finally hit me...

Doc Roc

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:28 AM »

Hey JD,

This was a glitch on a handheld recorder though.  It was from a prospective client who had recorded a business Q&A session.  Not any type of DAW w/plugin capability or anything like that.  So, unless I'm confused as to what you're saying, I believe you're confused as to what I was saying...Do you know what I'm saying Confused  

I think I just confused myself... Very Happy

Thx for your help though brutha man!

Ross
Ross Neptune
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

JDNelson

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »

Oh, I know it wasn't the same issue per se, just me commisserating over a similar experience... random dropouts.  Different scenario, tho'.  I feel your pain, man!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.