R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valley People KEPEX and GATEX and GAINBRAIN  (Read 3745 times)

George_

Valley People KEPEX and GATEX and GAINBRAIN
« on: February 11, 2009, 03:08:35 AM »

just got a rack in.. loaded with those modules.. also KEPEX II and the older Allison Reasearch channels..

one interesting thing:
the company logo is always different.. one has the illuminati Pyramid on it..

some background on mr. Valley People? sound?

thanx
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Galil

Re: Valley People KEPEX and GATEX and GAINBRAIN
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »

As I understand it:

Paul C. Buff started a recording studio in the greater Los Angeles area in the early 60's, was involved in the recording of surf music, worked with Frank Zappa and at Art Laboe's Original Sound recording studio and developed Allison Research in CA.

He moved to Nashville and merged Allison Research with Valley People. Universal Audio has an interview with Doc Morgan which outlines some of the history.

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2008/april/index4.html

Now PMI (of Joemeek, Studio Projects and Toft fame)owns Valley People and is looking to start releasing new products from the company.

The earlier products were more of what would now be called "character" units while the later generation products would have less of a "distinctive sound" and be more all around units. I currently have a mid-80s Valley people compressor which is a bit dark according to current standards but very musical.  In the mid 80's I regularly used the Allison Research gates with large format analog tape. Don't know what I'd think of them now, but they worked fine then.

Hope this helps.

Galil

MagnetoSound

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:48:58 AM »

I remember the Valley People 'Dyna-mite' (I think they were called). You could use them as compressors or gates, IIRC.

Very effective. Sort of similar to dbx only more versatile ... not exactly budget stuff.

They came in a sort of cream-coloured rectangular case that nowadays would look like an old modem!

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »

I have a few of those (formerly) cream units...I painted them black...much better.

They are useful for a few "squash me" things, not really as quality day-to-day compressors.

J-Texas

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:57:11 PM »

I use my GB for crushing a room or pulling down the snare's pants and giving it a whack.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 19 queries.