R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm back in black.  (Read 3268 times)

breathe

I'm back in black.
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »

Alright dudes (and the occasional chick), I am BACK IN BLACK.  Fucking got my AA shit going on, off the sauce, ready to destroy this shit and makes some REAL fucking records.  This forum has taught me more than ANY other source of info other than perhaps my personal (and often very touching) e-mail correspondence with Fletcher.

I think the main question is, "is there a right way to make a record?".  Obviously, because of there being so many different styles of music, this cannot be the case.  But that being said, I think certain modes of thinking/logic can be agreed on as good.  I know most of the people on this forum understand how deceiving and false the philosophies are that are promoted by Guitar Center/Sweetwater.  And not even that.  There's an abundance of misinformation about "classic" gear.

I just want to make a brilliant record, and people like Fletcher (especially Fletcher) have lead this horse to water, without fail.  Everything I've bought because of advice from Fletcher has been awesome.

In other words, let's rock it.  And be sincere with each other while being sincere with ourselves.  I'll try to tone down my obsession with myself (it comes with being bipolar) if you let me ask questions.

Nicholas

J.J. Blair

Re: I'm back in black.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »

We need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio film, and PSW.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 01:56:33 AM »

Start with a brilliant song.

breathe

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 02:22:33 AM »

Why is "Back In Black" (the song) the best rock recording/performance I've ever heard?

Nicholas

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:13:27 AM »

breathe wrote on Mon, 18 January 2010 02:22

Why is "Back In Black" (the song) the best rock recording/performance I've ever heard?

I take it all back.

In this case, the STUDIO must be the most important part...

Tim Halligan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:30 AM »

breathe wrote on Mon, 18 January 2010 15:22

Nicholas

Because you don't listen widely enough?

Laughing

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

meverylame

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:02:58 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 18 January 2010 01:55

We need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio film, and PSW.

Laughing

Though in all seriousness congrats Nicholas thats a really brave move. Just take your time and be patient.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

jrmintz

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »

Four things make a great record:

1. the song

2. the song

3. the song

4. everything else

I'm not trying to be facetious - a mediocre recording of a great song can still be great record. Think of Springsteen's basement tapes. A great recording of a bad song is turd polishing, pure and simple. I'd say don't let yourself get distracted by gear until you're absolutely, totally, undeniably, 100% positive that your songs are as good as you can possibly make them. If you have the slightest doubt about a single word in the lyrics, fix it. You have to be brutally honest with yourself about that. There can't be any fat, any filler, any wasted time or space in the tune. Only then should you start thinking about how to record the songs. I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but I think doing great tracks is much, much easier than writing good songs.

If the question isn't rhetorical, you should listen to it until you figure out the answer.

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »

jrmintz wrote on Mon, 18 January 2010 12:54

I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but I think doing great tracks is much, much easier than writing good songs.

I agree, except that perhaps you understate it.

Spindrift

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »

Buying stuff is easy, sitting down and putting pencil-to-paper to write a shitty first draft of lyrics is a lot harder than clicking "Checkout".

I know this first hand  Embarassed

For me, the songs are what it is about, and my engineering interests and gear lust are simply distractions that keep me from working on the hard stuff.

Sad, but in the quiet moments when I can sit and think, it's true.

PS-Engineering is also a strong point of mine. Of course, it feels good to be doing something you know.

jrmintz

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 18 January 2010 13:28

jrmintz wrote on Mon, 18 January 2010 12:54

I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but I think doing great tracks is much, much easier than writing good songs.

I agree, except that perhaps you understate it.

If I had a nickel for every young artist I've told to forget about learning Pro Tools and learn to write songs...Unfortunately it's usually the kind of lesson learned while you're sitting across the desk from a record company guy who starts drumming his fingers and looking bored whenever you reach one of the things you knew you probably should have fixed. Only musicians don't seem to grasp the fact that everyone else in the world listens to the lyrics and couldn't give a flying monkey's butt about the track.

jetbase

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »

2. A brilliant song needs a brilliant delivery.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 01:26:16 AM »

Keep coming back ... in black.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

trock

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »

1) great songs - tweaked by a great producer

2) great band to play the hell out of them

3) great studio next to the beach!

4) great producer who knew how to get where everyone needed to go

5) great gear - used really well by the great producer and great engineer

6) great timing - just what the music world needed, when it needed it

= great album
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.