R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Paramore  (Read 20297 times)

j.hall

Re: Paramore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »

paul101 wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 18:45

Sorry but I think your missing the boat on this one.

Its perfectly designed pop. Its not my personal preference in music, but its a record that is already defining what many younger bands want in their mixes.

Yes the snares ridiculous and there is a huge amount of editing, but it all adds up to something that is so right for this particular genre.

I love vibey, band in a room sounding records, but this is pop music and when has reality played any major role?

this is by far not the first record to have a loud snare.  in fact that trend has exosted for quite a while now.

if this record is what "young" bands are looking to for their production notes, so be it.

it still doesn't mean it sounds good.

i guess all i'm saying is, i'm surprised this record has had the impact it has on a sonic level.  i have little, in fact VERY little to say about the songs as i've only heard two of them.....

there is a consistent cloudy, choked sound to bendeth's work that i'm honestly surprised has become the "mix du jour" when there are guys probably charging the same rates that can get bigger sounding mixes that feel open and clean.  it's merely an observation, and i was only wondering if others had the same observation.

Jonah A. Kort

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:22:39 AM »

Touche!

Got nothing for that...

I am humbled...

mattrussell

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »

that's what that band does.  it's pop, don't think of it as anything else.  it's certainly not art.  i think the paramore stuff mixed CLA sounds incredible.  the music leaves a lot to be desired for me, but i love his mixes.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

Nacho

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 12:07

i got sick of clients commenting on the how awesome the latest Paramore record sounds without knowing what it sounds like myself.

i grabbed one of the singles off iTunes.  i don't get it.......it doesn't sound very good to me

am i missing something?

also, the new underoath (mixed by the same guy) sounds bad to me too.  seriously, i must be missing something, right?

+1
"The act of accomplishing nothing other than wastefulness is both exhausting and debilitating to the soul." -Mixerman
www.ptystudios.com
www.myspace.com/nachomolino

Phillip Graham

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 12:45:42 AM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 12:07

i got sick of clients commenting on the how awesome the latest Paramore record sounds without knowing what it sounds like myself.

i grabbed one of the singles off iTunes.  i don't get it.......it doesn't sound very good to me

am i missing something?

also, the new underoath (mixed by the same guy) sounds bad to me too.  seriously, i must be missing something, right?

So tonight Pandora played a track for me that sounded a lot like Paramore--not sure how it got there from "Within Temptation" but anyways.

The band is called Firelight, sound like just like Paramore.  However the mix totally kicks butt!  Mixed by J.R. McNeeley.

Try "Stand Up" by Fireflight from Amazon or iTunes, its what Paramore wanted their record to sound like, but didn't know it  Very Happy
Phillip Graham

carmoleh

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »

My sister loves their music and my bestfriend got their songs on her ipod but honesly their songs dont sound good to me either. Yep, too hyped. Just dont get it sometimes.

Josh McArdle

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »

Just took a listen. There are a lot of guys on the course at LIPA referencing Paramore. Seems to be something of a holy grail in terms of drum sounds.

Personally I like the energy and I'd love to be able to produce a sound that good, but it's not the holy grail for me by a long shot...

On a side note has anyone else heard Wolves by Idiot Pilot? Big fan of the production on that album. I think it was Ross Robinson, not sure if he did the mix though.

j.hall

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

the new paramore album sounds great.  the last one still confuses me why people think it sounds so good.

it might as well be a drum machine.  i mean, that's fine if you are going for a mechanical sound.  but they are clearly a rock band.

if that sound is what the upcoming generation of mixers is calling "the holy grail" then i'm sorely disappointed.

listen to some of Bob Clearmountain's work.

in fact, here's a list of truly gifted, amazing mixers, that rarely do "subpar" work.

Bob Clearmountain
Tchad Blake
Mike Shipley
Randy Staub
Rich Costey
Chris Lord-Alge
Tom Lord-Alge
JR McNeally
F Reid Shippen

the list goes on and on......

hit some of these guys' all music pages, buy a few songs off albums you think you can stomach/dig.  make that your holy grail.

in fact, you might hate buying it, and you might hate the music, but Nickelback's latest album is easily one of the sickest sounding records i've ever heard.  EVER!!!!

iCombs

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »

I will fight you to the DEATH over that.  At least that first single.  Just...not...quite...there.  For me.

I DO agree that Randy Staub is one HELL of an engineer...and I think his work is probably better represented on their earlier stuff.

IM(incredibly biased)O.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

j.hall

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »

it's tough to beat, match, or even come close to a Mutt Lang production, not sure that can even be debated, but i'm always willing to give it a go.

just heard from a good source that Maroon 5 is over in Switzerland (is that where Mutt's place is) doing their next record with him......i can stomach that band much easier.

iCombs

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 01:42:41 AM »

Y'know...I think that part of my bias is that my "Mutt Lange Filter" is so full of Def Leppard that to hear any other band sound even remotely like that is a disconnect for me.

And God help me, I'm honestly not a fan of his uber-processed vocals...there's something that just sounds WEIRD that I can't get my head around...but it sounds totally unnatural to me and seems to only get more and more prominent as the years go by.

I could be way off base, but that's what I'm hearing in the radio singles that I know are his.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

j.hall

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »

Mutt produced the entire album.  the biggest things of his that carry over from record to record (or at least the big rock records) is the gated verb on the snare and the wall of background vocals (which almost every time are all him singing)

other then that, i'm not hearing hysteria on the new nickelback.  seriously though, put on something you think is the best sounding mix ever.  literally, a mix you think is absolutely flawless, then switch over (same monitoring chain required) to something off that record.  so far, it's made every mix i ref sound small and narrow.

you might not dig what he does (and i'm not saying i do or don't) but you have to respect his body of work.  he is, indeed, an extremely talented person.

as a side note, you don't see him getting tons of repeat clients......i'd venture a guess that his obsessive perfectionism can get a bit overwhelming.

iCombs

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »

No doubt the dude makes amazing records.  Not knocking his skill or talent.  What I find kinda interesting is looking at his stuff with AC/DC vs. the rest of his discog.  There's an interesting look...Back in Black is such a quintessential rock record in its sound.  Simple.  Couple guitars, drums, vocals.  Some of the backing stuff got biggish on those records, but the striking thing to me is how naturally huge they sound WITHOUT all the goony layers and invasive post production.  I don't know if it's a case of that stuff not happening or a case of that stuff being executed to perfection, but either way, it's a more satisfying listen for me.

As far as repeat clientele...I dunno...he may or may have not done 4 records for Def Leppard and at least 2 for AC/DC...but i definitely see how bands seem to get really tired of the sort of endless production process...I know I'd be fucking depressed if I spent 4 years making one record (see Hysteria)...granted, I probably wouldn't be depressed about selling 800 squintillion records...but man...that's just...a long, long time.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

Josh McArdle

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 05:51:41 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 29 October 2009 11:42

Bob Clearmountain
Tchad Blake
Mike Shipley
Randy Staub
Rich Costey
Chris Lord-Alge
Tom Lord-Alge
JR McNeally
F Reid Shippen

Cheers for the list J, there are a few names on there I've yet to check out.

It's definitely a shame that this kind of production is being heralded as the ultimate goal for a lot of my generation, but then again it seems to be a big seller at the moment. It's also all over the radio... I just find it funny that Bendeth/CLA/Wallace etc. are being paid so much for these mixes knowing full well that it'll end up coming out of a 13 year old's laptop speakers at 128kbps Razz

Sometimes it makes you wonder what the point is!

j.hall

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »

well, the point is to strive for greatness.  to not stop learning, experimenting, and growing.

CLA and Andy Wallace are world class man!  i can't believe i left andy off my list.  no one can make a mix pump the buss compressor as hard as andy did and still have the mix rule!

anyway, paramore has some catchy songs, that's why it's all over the radio.

laptop speakers or not, good songs always rise to the top.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.