R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a clean pre...Hardy M1...DRS-1...or Avalon M5.  (Read 8761 times)

Blap

Need a clean pre...Hardy M1...DRS-1...or Avalon M5.
« on: June 29, 2004, 03:07:42 AM »

Next up for my rack will be a nice clean preamp to be used for vocals.  I'm considering Hardy M1 Personal Pre, Phoenix DRS-1, or Avalon M5.  Already have GRiver NV, Vintech 72, and JoeMeek VC1Q, so it's time for something different.  

I've read great stuff about the Phoenix, but heard that it may have some reliability issues.  Thanks for opinions on these pieces!

McAllister

Re: Need a clean pre...Hardy M1...DRS-1...or Avalon M5.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 10:21:26 AM »

Add the RNP to your list.

Very clean.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

sdelsolray

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 04:37:57 PM »

Blap wrote on Tue, 29 June 2004 08:07

Next up for my rack will be a nice clean preamp to be used for vocals.  I'm considering Hardy M1 Personal Pre, Phoenix DRS-1, or Avalon M5.  Already have GRiver NV, Vintech 72, and JoeMeek VC1Q, so it's time for something different.  

I've read great stuff about the Phoenix, but heard that it may have some reliability issues.  Thanks for opinions on these pieces!

If you go with the John Hardy, consider getting the frame and one channel.  It costs a bit more, but you'll have the option of adding another 3 preamp modules in the future.  You can't do that with he Hardy Personal pre.

natpub

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:34:11 AM »

The Hardy line always gets confusing to me because there are several options, then there are the Jensons. I have a hard time understanding what difference they all are. I have not heard them.

I have heard the Avalon and it is very nice in its way.

I prefer the GML 8300 series, though they may be a little expensive.

However, IMO, the 4 channel unit is just a steal--at about $650 a channel for GML, jeesh, it is crazy.
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 08:34:42 AM »

The Hardy line isn't that confusing... get it with the Jensen transformers and the meter option and you'll be a happy camper.

The originator of this thread mentioned that he had a Great River pre... FWIW, I have found that the Phoenix stuff goes with great with the Great River stuff... sorta like Rasberries and Chocolate go together well... both are great flavors individually, but when you put the two together, the sum is far greater than the parts!!!  ...as always, YMMV.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

locosoundman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:23:08 PM »

How does the John  Hardy compare with the API?  I am considering the 4 channel  M-1 or the 3124.
What does this little red button do?

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 05:50:37 PM »

The Hardy and the API are two other different tones/textures.  In some ways the Hardy is more 'open' sounding, the AOI is a bit tougher sounding... they're both great... all I might be able to suggest would be to try them both and try to choose.

Best of luck with it.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

lucey

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 10:13:38 AM »

hardy, phoenix, avalon M5

or martech mss-10
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Roland Storch

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 04:32:16 AM »

Don?t know the afforementionrd pres by own experience. But if I am asked to name clean preamps then comes to mind first:  Millennia Media, Grace, FM Acoustics, Prism Sound, GML and Sonosax FD-M4.

The Millennia is so clean that some may even say boring. It is really boring when the source tells you nothing - it isn?t euphonic at all.

The Grace is a little brighter, maybe more lively.

The FM Acoustics is clean too but shows more energy in the sound - for me one of the best pres I know.

The GML is clean and fast, the fastest I know, absoltuley neutral.

The Sonsosax (I mean the FD-M4, not the tiny boxes) is very open, similat to the Grace.

tom eaton

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 01:44:19 PM »

I'll throw another one into the pool:

Benchmark MPS400.

A no frills 4 channel very clean preamp.  Used by lots of classical folks, but not really that well known.  

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/micpre/default.asp

I've had one for three years or so...I quite like it.

-tom

ryan streber

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 10:38:24 AM »

I'm also in the market for a clean pre.  I haven't heard anyone mention the Earthworks preamps as contenders.  I have no experience with them, but I'm curious to hear what others think, how they compare to the various aforementioned units, etc.  ALso, can anyone comment on the similarities or differences between the newer "zero distortion" Earthworks pres and the older "LAB" series?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.