R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QRD's without dividers?  (Read 3107 times)

Chris Griffith

QRD's without dividers?
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »

How effective would a QRD be without the dividers between wells if you're treating a large area in a tracking room?  

What would be more effective 32 to 40 sq ft of proper QRD's or a couple hundred sq ft using the same math, just without the dividers?

I'm starting to build some QRD's and the dividers are a total pain.. I couldn't imagine it would take more then a day or two to cover half my room with QRD's  if I wasn't using dividers.  

Obviously building them the proper way is best, but if I can make them 75% as effective with 25% of the work, I'd rather go that route.  

Keep in mind this is for a tracking room, the control room will have RPG omnifussors.  I just need a quick decent sounding solution for the tracking room.  

Thomas Jouanjean

Re: QRD's without dividers?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:20:40 AM »

IMHO, you need the dividers or you will compromise the bandwidth. Without separation, your wells are less deep as it will be only the differential in depth from one slot to another that will matter and not the depth from the "separators" edges.

An 8 bit diffuser instead of a 24 bit sort of.  Very Happy
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

J.F.Oros

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:43:03 PM »

Thomas Jouanjean wrote on Mon, 27 April 2009 10:20

IMHO, you need the dividers or you will compromise the bandwidth. Without separation, your wells are less deep as it will be only the differential in depth from one slot to another that will matter and not the depth from the "separators" edges.[
At least this way there are no "parasite" resonances inside those cavities, for what is worth.
Quote:

An 8 bit diffuser instead of a 24 bit sort of.  Very Happy
Or a MP3 version of it ?  Very Happy  LowFi seems to be the trend now anyway  Laughing
[ Flaviu Oros - acoustics engineer ]
[ JF Studio Design - Romania ]

jfrigo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:50:31 AM »

For a traditional 1D QRD, you really need the well dividers. Without them you still get some scattering in comparison to a flat wall, but it's not going to work as intended. The D'Antonio/Cox book addresses this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.