R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I need for a cheap home studio? [Request]  (Read 10505 times)

Khaoz

What do I need for a cheap home studio? [Request]
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »

I have a band, and i would like to record a couple of our songs, at home.

What I'm working with:

Software:
-Sonar 8 PE

Hardware:
-Dell Dimension E520 PC. 2GB RAM.
-New sound card being bought today. (name coming soon)
-Gemini DJX-05 Head Phones.
-Line 6 75 W Amp.
-Gallien-Krueger (?)W Bass amp.
-Tama 5pc-Drumset. w/ 6 Cymbals.
-2.1 Sound.

Now my question is:

I want to build a small home recording studio, set in my small room, just for the purposes of recording me and my band, nothing professional.

I would like to know (the bare minimum) i need, hardware and software wise, to get at least an average sound from the band. I don't have money for drum mics so preferably one or two mics that can do it all. (fairly well).

Thanks in advance.

-KZ
LEMONS!!! LEMONS!!!!

Bill_Urick

Re: What do I need for a cheap home studio? [Request]
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »

Yep.

That's how it STARTS!

What interface are you using with Protools?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Khaoz

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »

Actually i think i need to scratch off pro tools off the list, i have to return it to the friend that lent it to me, all i have is sonar8 now.

All i need to know what  do i need to start recording?

#1 I got the computer.
#2 I got the program.
#3 Got the instruments.
#4 .... what else do i need?

- maybe a pre-amp? i don't know what i need from there on.

just the bare minimum nothing fancy.
LEMONS!!! LEMONS!!!!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:40:36 PM »

You'll need an audio interface, perhaps with mic pres included, to get the instruments recorded into sonar.

How many different things do you want to record at the same time?
Drums? Guitar, bass, vocals? That will primarily determine what kind of interface you need.

What is the sound card you bought today?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Khaoz

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:15:12 AM »

Well i was just thinking of recording every instrument separately, as for the drum set, i was thinking, ONE very well placed microphone, since i do not have the money for the whole microphone set.

and as for the soundcard, the one i have currently is SigmaTel, which is incompatible with SONAR 8, so today i was supposed to get a soundcard, but didn't have the time,  so i am getting one tomorrow (1/20/09). Don't know which I'm going to get. Any suggestions?

So this is all ill need?

Computer + Software:
connects to -->
Audio Interface:
which connects to -->
Microphone:
which records -->
Any Instruments:

I am looking to record, a Bass, Electric Guitar, Drumset, (2 sets) of Vocals. All separately.

What are my cheaper options (with the most quality)?

This is in terms of Audio Interface and mics/cables.

LEMONS!!! LEMONS!!!!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »

I think Sonar should work with any decent ASIO interface.
Go to a local music store and find some name brand (M-Audio?, Eiderol?) interface with at least two mic pres, two line ins, two line outs and 1 or 2 headphone outs. It will probably plug into a USB port on your computer.Make sure you can return it if you have problems.

You won't need a new sound card.

Do you have any microphones already?
Do you have any monitor speakers?

Khaoz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »

I currently do not have any microphones, as I've been recording with a voice-chat microphone xD ,  ad the only speakers i have are the ones that came with my computer, 2 speakers and a bass box.

anything you recommend?

Hey Bill, do you mind if we talk by a messenger? so we can talk a little quicker?  Something like msn , yahoo, aim, messengers? Ill be glad to send you my messenger email or screen name by private message on the forums.
LEMONS!!! LEMONS!!!!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:28:43 AM »

Roldy,

Disregard the email.
Check your PM.
(Private Messaging, top of the page.)

Vertigo

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »

I think the question at this stage of your game is whether you want a quality recording or a quality studio. If the former, then it's probably worth your while to eschew the DIY route and go into a decent studio.

If you're shooting for the latter, then about $10-15,000 gets you into the game with minimal (but decent) gear. But be aware that it will probably be at least a year before you've mastered your gear well enough to put out a quality recording.

Of course if this is just a "jam to tape" or demo sort of thing and quality isn't a major concern then feel free to experiment and just enjoy the music.

But know that you've come to the right place if you're looking to get serious about recording Smile

-Lance

Jim Easton

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »

You will need an endless reservoir of money, time and talent.  

Buyer beware: once you start up this road of addiction, their is no turning back. In your every waking moment the "Gear god" will have you under a trance reading forums long into the night. Pinching pennies to get that next fix.

Turn back while you can Khaoz.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »

Jim Easton wrote on Sun, 25 January 2009 19:26

Turn back while you can Khaoz.

Werd - I sold all my drugs to buy gear! Very Happy

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

C.Cash

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

guitarbth

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:07:59 PM »

Get a 8 channel mixer (mackie, yamaha, behringer, etc.) and a 2 channel m-audio usb interface. Go to radio shack and grab 6-8 mics... they use to have some $25 mics... or borrow some from a church and/or friends. Then set up the band as if you were practicing. Put four mics on the drums ( 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 kick). Put a few mics on guitars and vocals. Bass amp probably has an output on the back so go direct into the mixer with that, but keep the amp on while playing. Same for keys... Then from the L and R main outs of the mixer, plug into the line inputs of the M-Audio interface. Hit record, count off, and do your thing... You might just capture something magical.

Hope this helps..

JDNelson

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »

If you're looking to just mic up your band and let 'er rip this might be a cost-effective way to go: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/

Eight channels via FireWire into your computer and SONAR plays nice with the MOTU drivers.

MI

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 09:56:26 AM »

You've got a $500 software program and no interfaces, no mics no preamps/console....

hmmm
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.