R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Recording (update and issues)  (Read 1855 times)

debuys

Live Recording (update and issues)
« on: June 23, 2004, 03:34:25 AM »

I recieved the tracks today and loaded them into sonar. The mechanical aspect was smooth as silk, but I have an issue that I could use some aid from the wise men here.

I'm pretty sure I hear aliasing on the tracks. It is most apparent on the bass and audience mics. To be more specific incase I'm incorrect, sometimes on certain notes there is a broad high frequency overtone at a significant level. The only comparison I can make is it sounds like an MP3.

The studio that brought the truck had the ADATS set at 48k. I mentioned I wanted 41.1. He said not to worry since he was going to dump them in at 41.1. I assumed he meant in the analog realm, not batch converting them with SRC. Am I off base here?

I'd be happy to mix at 48 if I didn't have to explain to my partner how to do it. He's a knob twister, not a geek like me. Even still, we'd be left with needing to convert to 44.1 later for CDs for evaluation. Our signal path is all digital and we cannot resample outside the box.

Here's the path the tracks traveled after the mics and pres:

ADAT
PT (Mix TDM)
Sonar

Thanks in advance Wink

Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

Fletcher

Re: Live Recording (update and issues)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 09:53:48 PM »

What does "aliasing" sound like?  Can you like post a file of it or something?  I'm not trying to be a jerk [that comes naturally]... I'm just not sure I understand the sound.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Level

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:52:55 PM »

I think he is talking about latency interaction. It is that underwater swirling sound about 25dB down. This usually happens when the tracks are experiencing latency issues where some of the "bleed" between channels is "phasing". It is simalar to "flange" that is used via turntables and DJ's years ago by pitch shifting one turntable just out of sync with the other. Amazingly, some songs would "flange" and some songs would not.

Is this what you are hearing?

I had this happen with a PCM 3348HD once and I did a power off and back up and it went away. I never figured out the actual cause of this.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

audiothings

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:24:11 AM »

41.1?

whats that?

if its the sample rate, why 41.1?

Level

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 12:41:32 PM »

Quote:

41.1?

whats that?

Looks like a typo to me....
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 23 queries.