R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap condenser mic  (Read 17546 times)

ted

cheap condenser mic
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »

I need a good sounding condenser mic for vocals and acoustic instruments and such. what should I buy?

compasspnt

Re: cheap condenser mic
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:36:32 PM »

What is your price range?

ted

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »

I was wanting to pay $200 or less, but if I cant get anthing decent for that amount then I am willing to pay more.
Which it looks like i might have to do.
But i hope not.  

Careful Collapse

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »

I was looking around at your prince range not long ago; my eye was on the Rode NT1A (which was $200 at the time.)  After reading some posts by Mr. Danko and Mr. Manning I decided to spend an extra 100$ and get a Rode NT1000 instead (partially payed for via month-long Ramen noodles bender...)

Totally worth it.

I also have a Rode NT5 that I've found useful on a number of things, usually shakers, tambourines, acoustic guitar.  Worked very well on a quieter vocal but I didn't feel it responded well to louder vocals or loud amps.  I usually see small condensor mics being used in matched pairs but it's 100$ less than the NT1000.
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

Bill_Urick

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »

Although not always popular around here, Audio Technica Mics are regarded as a good value by lots of experienced engineers.

You could easily find an AT4033 for $200.00 or less used.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Jim Williams

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »

Got $39.95?

MCA SP-1

www.pssl.com
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Warren Mcstay

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »

Hi, i'm in the same situation as you. I also considered the NT1a and got reccommended the NT1000 and NT2000. I think both of these mics would give you extra choices in the studio, you should check them out. Another mic which has had a lot of mention is the Shure KSM32, your looking to double your budget on that one though.

PookyNMR

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »

I'd agree with Bill.  For the money, the AT 40 series mics do quite well and are quite versatile.  The 4040 is one of the least expensive and is very versatile.  I'd recommend that over the 4033.  The 4047 is quite popular among a number of people.
Nathan Rousu

Bill_Urick

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »

Used KSM32's can also be had for around $200.00, if you look in the right place at the right time.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Galil

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »

Most of the under $200 microphones available don't get pros with bigger budgets (or exposure to more expensive microphones) very excited. Some of the suggestions on the threads are more expensive microphones that folks have gotten steals on (the KSM32 and AT-4047 are usually more expensive microphones, even used).

I was faced with this a few years ago and I bought some Oktava MK-219 and MK-319 microphones (which can still easily be bought used for under $200 per microphone, sometimes even around $100) and then sent them off to Michael Joly to be modified. The Oktavas are useful without mods (but there were other microphones I liked better, pre-mod), but after the Joly modifications these were price performance winners. Transparent, clear, round, and open are ways I'd describe tracks I have recorded with these microphones.

This plan will cause you to go over your budget, the advantage is that you will be under budget with the purchase of the microphone, one can start to record and then you can later do the mods when a windfall comes in.  If you are persistent, you might be able to pick up a pair of microphones for close to your budget. Stereo pairs are king when working with anything more than a vocalist and a guitar.

The other microphone (that I have experience with) which is a real deal in this price range is the Heil PR-35 (sells for around $249 new, other deals might be available).  Not a condenser, but a great sounding microphone which many pros who have high end microphone cabinets have found this to be very useful.

Galil

wwittman

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »

I can't think of a reason I'd rather use a cheap condenser rather than a good moving-coil dynamic like a Heil or RE20 or SM7

and this is coming from someone who uses almost ALL condenser mics...

but quality counts for more than design style.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Larry Villella

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »

At just over $200, the new ADK A6 is certainly a contender.

Only thing "cheap" about it is the price!

Belgian Design, replete with European components,
and super-useful on a wide variety of studio sources!!

Of course, I'm totally biased (except for the fact that I have a
huge mic locker and have been recording music for over 40 years).

adkmic.com
myspace.com/adkmic

Larry J. Villella, Founder, ADK Microphones

Halfway Competent

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »

I agree with the assessments of A-T's 40-series...  I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my pair of 4033s.  Check the 4033 out ($350 or so street), and also check out the 4040.  Maybe you can find them used, in good shape, within your budget.  

Though small-diaphragm mics aren't generally considered for vocal use, the Shure SM-94 actually sounds quite good in this application; and it's good for instruments, too.  New, they are just under $200.  When I was just getting started, I had a pair of those that I used for everything (still have 'em).  The SM-94 gently rolls off above 10k, which gives it kind of a smoother, warmer tone.  They are durable, too; I used them at an outdoor gig, and the person assisting me left them under a tree; I was busy and never noticed (go me).  I got a call a week later from the venue saying they'd found them.  They had been rained on, and were soaked.  I took them home, let them dry out for a few days, then plugged 'em in to test.  They work just fine.  (DON'T try this at home, though!  Laughing)

Greg Blaisdell

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »

As someone who has used and sold just about every mic mentioned on this thread, my pick for acoustic guitar and vocals in the $200 price range would be the ADK A6.

I found the A6 to be more natural sounding on my Lead Singer and Taylor Guitar than the Shure KSM27, and smoother than the Rode NT1000 or NT1-A which are both transformerless. The A6 also has a cleaner midrange than the Oktava 012.  

The Shure SM81 works well on acoustic guitar too, but it will cost you about $100 more, and can't double as a vocal mic like the A6.  AT4040 is more money too.

As with almost any other type of product, if you want to get the best bang-for-your buck you've got to stray away from some of the "name brands".  They all make some great mics, but you will pay more at each level.

Best thing to do is actually try out a few different models and decide what YOU like on YOUR acoustic guitar.  Find a dealer that lets you try them out in your own studio for a few days so you can pick a favorite.  I didn't like the midrange on my Oktava 012s, but maybe YOU will...
Greg Blaisdell
Engineer - Musician - Pro Audio Sales
www.proaudiotoys.com
www.rackrecording.com
Toll Free: 1-866-485-6649
Local: (503) 640-7410

Halfway Competent

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »

Greg Blaisdell wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 12:20

As someone who has used and sold just about every mic mentioned on this thread, my pick for acoustic guitar and vocals in the $200 price range would be the ADK A6.

I found the A6 to be more natural sounding on my Lead Singer and Taylor Guitar than the Shure KSM27, and smoother than the Rode NT1000 or NT1-A which are both transformerless. The A6 also has a cleaner midrange than the Oktava 012.  

The Shure SM81 works well on acoustic guitar too, but it will cost you about $100 more, and can't double as a vocal mic like the A6.  AT4040 is more money too.

As with almost any other type of product, if you want to get the best bang-for-your buck you've got to stray away from some of the "name brands".  They all make some great mics, but you will pay more at each level.

Best thing to do is actually try out a few different models and decide what YOU like on YOUR acoustic guitar.  Find a dealer that lets you try them out in your own studio for a few days so you can pick a favorite.  I didn't like the midrange on my Oktava 012s, but maybe YOU will...

The OP never specifically mentioned acoustic guitar.  Smile  Why can't an SM-81 double as a vocal mic?  What didn't you like about it in this application?  

Shure offers a pop filter accessory for it: ( http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Accessories/us_pro_A8 1G_content)  Considering that the SM-81 is often used for miking choirs, this would seem to be a vote FOR its use as a vocal mic.  And, as I stated before, I used one of my SM-94s ($180 street) for vocals and it worked out quite well.  

I second WWittman's suggestion that a good dynamic should also be considered.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.